MAP03: The Gantlet (Doom II)
|Doom II maps 01-11|
MAP03: The Gantlet (also called The Gauntlet) is the third map of Doom II. It was designed by American McGee and uses the music track "Countdown To Death". The par time is 2:00. The new enemy chaingunner, third and strongest type of hell-possessed human soldier, debuts in this map, only if played on skill level Hurt me plenty or higher.
Enter the door straight ahead of you at the start of the level (A). Go down the stairs and through the doorway at the bottom, then ascend another set of stairs (B). Follow the path left, along past the lift to the end. There is a small river of water crossing the path - follow it left to get a megaarmor. Return to the lift you passed earlier and ride it up.
In the next area, go straight down some stairs (C), across the water, back up another set (D), and down some more into the structure, where a chaingun lies. Continue going forward, up yet another set of stairs, to get the blue key (E). Enter the blue door on the left and follow the corridor to its end, where a switch is found. Press the switch, which causes a bridge to rise in the water area, and exit through the blue door next to it (F). Go right, going down and then up the stairs again. On the far side, turn around and walk on the ledge to reach the bridge that rose. Cross it and go through the teleport (G).
In the next area, go through the door, then drop down into the grassy pit (H). Pick up the red keycard in the center (I). There are two switches on the west end of this pit. The left switch opens a room on the far end of the pit that contains some armor bonuses, but also releases several monsters (J). The right switch lowers a lift to the left that takes you up to the red door (K). Go through the red door to reach the exit switch.
- Upon reaching the watery outdoor area, you will find a "well" set against the southern wall of the southern pool. (sector 67) In order to get into the secret area, the player must run along the raised walkway which leads into the level's final teleporter. Alternatively, it is possible to straferun into the "well" from the stairway leading down into the water. If playing the game with a source port that allows jumping, the player can simply jump into the well (L). The secret contains another megaarmor, an energy cell pack, a partial invisibility, and a supercharge .
- After activating the bridge that leads to the unaccessible teleporter (G), return to the starting point (A), climb down the stairs (B) and turn left twice. Standing on the water spot where the megaarmor is/was causes a panel containing several sergeants to open up on the ground level, right aside the (A) set of stairs. Take the teleporter inside it to grab the first backpack in the game. Alternative way: after activating the bridge, approach the secret "well" (L) described above, turn west and open the noticeably detached wall. This secret is not in the PlayStation version, nor is it in earlier versions of Doom II.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
It is possible to straferun into the window that lets you see behind the blue door and press the switch. Alternatively, using strafe 50, it is possible to straferun into the teleporter without the bridge; however, it may take a few tries.
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|NM speed||00:25||Henning Skogstø||1999-10-02||nm03-025.zip|
|UV max||01:19||Radek Pecka||2004-01-16||lv03-119.zip|
|NM100S||00:28||Vincent Catalaá (Peroxyd)||1999-10-26||ns03-028.zip|
|UV -fast||01:30||Radek Pecka||2003-01-26||fa03-130.zip|
|UV -respawn||01:17||M. Phoenix Dailey (Archy)||2013-03-09||re03-117.zip|
|UV Tyson||03:05||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-03-24||ty03-305.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:28||Adam Williamson||2003-02-16||pa03-028.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 5, 2020.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 11)
- facing east. (thing 88)
- facing east. (thing 89)
- facing south. (thing 90)
Inspiration and development
Early version of this map was released in 2015. It has completely different texturing work compared to the final version, a marble/stone theme reminiscent of the third act of the game. This was changed to tech base theme before the release of the game.
The official French name of this level is Le Feu nourri.
- MAP03 demos from the Compet-n database: UV speed • NM speed • UV max • NM100S • UV -fast • UV -respawn • UV Tyson • UV pacifist
- Top-down perspective view of all Doom II levels by Ian Albert
- Romero, John (20 January 2015). "Devs Play S01E05 - Doom (Part 9 - Map 7 Computer Station) 60fps [9/10]." Double Fine. Retrieved 1 February 2015.