MAP03: Three is a Charm (Community Chest 4)
|Community Chest 4 maps 01-11|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
There are two keys in the level: yellow is required and blue is needed to access several optional areas.
In the room you begin the level, turn right and open wide door. The key is on an inaccessible pedestal in the eastern room. To get the key you need to flip two switches, one of them lowers the pedestal and the second one opens the blocking-way bars to the bottom part of the room. You can flip the switches in any order: 1) lower the lift to your left which is taller and proceed into the room. You will be at the very top part of the yellow key room. Go around toward the switch. Flip it to lower the pedestal with the key. Backtrack to the room with two lifts. 2) Use the lift to your right (south) which is shorter than the other. Proceed into the room and go around the fence to the switch. Flip it to get access to the bottom part of the room. Backtrack to the previous room with two lifts.
Now go straight across the hallway to the yellow keycard and take it. Go back to the starting room.
In the starting room, go into a dark closet northeast. Open the yellow door to get outside. In the outside, go northeastward to the fence and two bars on the water. Cross them to get to the other side. Here, you can: 1) Instead of using the lift ahead, turn left and go all the way northwest, then climb the stairs until you meet the yellow door north. 2) Use the lift north. At the top, head right and where there is no fence, go down on the stairs to the yellow door leading north. Open the door. In the next room, there are several areas to go. Most doors here lead to fake exits, while the northeastern one leads to an actual exit. Enter that door and go straigh. An exit ahead will appear and will close as soon as you come closer to it. This one is also fake. There is also a northern door in this room. This is the real exit. Enter this door and press the button to finish the level.
Other points of interest
- Right from the start, go to the right and open the static-filled computer display to find two medkits inside. (sector 59)
- From the starting point, take the left path, and enter a hallway with some stairs branching off of it. Go up these stairs, but once you approach the next door, go back and enter the teleport compartment that has been revealed. You will be transported to a niche overlooking the starting room, with a blur artifact to the left of you. (sector 70)
- While still in this niche, turn around, open the chevron-adorned metal panel and go through the maintenance tunnel to arrive in a similar niche. (sector 266)
- Before dropping down from secret #3, go back into the circuitry conduit and look for a tearing in its wall. Shoot the button inside, drop down and collect the blue keycard. Enter another teleport compartment to be transported back to the starting room. (sector 268)
- In the tall hallway east from the starting room, ride the left elevator whilst running into the wall adjacent to it. You should make it through the fake wall (indicated by a different texture) and collect the rocket launcher inside. (sector 187)
- Go outside through the yellow key door, and keep to the right. In the cave with flickering torch, open the wall with differing texture to acquire a backpack. (sector 364)
- Near the northern yellow-keyed door, instead of going inside go to the left and seek the small cave with a teleporter in it. When you teleport to another end, face east, leave the teleporter pad and step onto it again. Now you will be transported to a ledge overlooking the southern portion of the canyon, next to otherwise unreachable computer map. (sector 368)
- Past the northern yellow-keyed door, there will be an elevator to your left. Open the wall next to it with five pipes running alongside and collect a bulk cell and boxes of rockets, shells, and bullets respectively. (sector 493)
- Enter the door directly east to the elevator mentioned above, and press the glowing red button on the panel to your right. This will open a compartment across the corridor, adorned with original Community Chest logo and containing a security armor. (sector 579)
Areas / screenshots
The records for this map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 23, 2018.
Inspiration and development
Secret #9 originally contained a message reading "Lose the Game," a reference to a mental game called The Game where the objective is to avoid thinking about the game itself. When the level was first submitted in 2008, the Game was popular on the Internet. On April 4, 2012, project leader Eric Baker (The Green Herring) replaced it with the Community Chest logo, as by that time, the reference had become dated.