MAP03: Toxin Refinery (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|All Jaguar-based ports|
|Secret exit: Military Base|
MAP03: Toxin Refinery is the third level of most console versions of Doom, based on the original E1M3: Toxin Refinery with modifications made to accommodate consoles' limitations. The author of the conversion is American McGee, and the original authors of the map are Tom Hall and John Romero. The map first appeared in Atari Jaguar version, and is additionally used in the 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Boy Advance, Sony PlayStation, and Sega Saturn versions.
This level contains a secret exit leading to MAP24: Military Base. The Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn ports will lead to MAP56: Military Base instead, which is the same level in a different map slot.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
From the start, go through the first door and turn left. Follow the path to the next door. Go through this door and bear right. Walk straight on, through another door, and turn right into an outdoor area with a grey walkway with nukage on either side. Travel to the opposite side of this area and past some computers. Turn left and follow the passageway along until you see a blue keycard on a raised step. When you pick this key up, the lights in the passageway will turn off.
Return to the large room just north of the start point. There is a blue door here; go through it and enter one of the passageways on the opposite side of the room. You should now find yourself in a large room with an archway. Walk through the arch and some stairs will begin to rise up. Go up the stairs and through the exit door. Press the switch to finish the level and go to MAP04: Command Control.
From the start point, go through the first door and turn left. Follow the path to the next door. Go through this door and bear right. After going up the short staircase, turn left and down another staircase. Turn left and you will come to a switch that opens a passageway near where you entered this room. Walk along that passageway into a dark room with yellow-lit panels on the walls. Just after reaching the top of the staircase, you will cross a hidden line that causes two nearby ledges to lower for a few seconds. Run up and around the computers to the right, so that you reach the back ledge before it rises again. A large door now opens in front of you, revealing a room with pillars, a nukage "river", and a rocket launcher. Follow the river into the tunnel on the east side of this room, and you will reach a small brown room with a switch and a backpack. Press the switch.
Return to the large room just north of the start point. You should now see a bridge across the nukage pit. As you cross the bridge, the wall in front of you will rise revealing a long passage. Keep walking straight ahead, and three traps will open: the brown technical wall in front of you, then the wall to your right, and finally two large doors at the back of the room. Behind these large doors is a brightly lit gray passage leading to an exit door. Go through this door and press the exit switch to go to MAP24: Military Base (or MAP56 in certain ports).
Other points of interest
If you fall into the nukage pit in the first room, you cannot get out.
On your way to the outdoor walkway, you will see a recessed panel to your right, indicated by white lights. Activate this wall to open a secret window, which allows you to look into one of the traps in front of the secret exit (containing barrels and zombies).
When you take the blue keycard, a door will open in the north wall of the room , revealing an imp on I am a Wimp or Not Too Rough skill levels (IAAW/NTR), three imps on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP), or four imps on Ultra Violence (UV). The alcove they emerge from contains a box of bullets, a box of shells and a medikit.
The yellow keycard is located in a short passage through the center of the dark western room. It is not needed to finish the level, but is required to open the door past secret #5 (see below).
- After climbing the staircase leading to the dark room in the west of the level, you will walk over a line that causes two ledges in the room to lower for a few seconds. Go left around the wall in front of you so you reach the west ledge before it rises again. You will find yourself on a dark staircase (sector 57), which leads to a brick passage containing a soulsphere on a column. The column can be lowered by pressing a switch on its south side.
- The hallway to the rocket launcher room in the north-western corner of the level (sector 76) counts as a secret. You pass through this hallway when opening the way to the secret exit.
- From secret #2, follow the nukage east through a narrow tunnel to a room containing a backpack. (sector 101)
- From secret #3, open the green wall next to the switch (sector 106) and walk through it to a room containing a chaingun and two boxes of bullets.
- There is a secret door in the east wall of the room behind the blue door, indicated by a misaligned texture. The door opens automatically when you step into the large room to the north-east, but it can also be opened manually. Behind this door (sector 116) is a room with a staircase leading up to a chainsaw, a box of rockets and two boxes of shells. Beyond these items is another staircase leading to a yellow door, and behind that door is a small room containing a soulsphere, a medikit and megaarmor. Watch out for the imps on a ledge outside the room.
- The long passage to the secret exit counts as a secret. (sector 143)
Comparison of versions
Numerous changes were made to this level compared to the PC version.
- Several staircases have fewer steps, similar to other console levels.
- A brightly-lit sector in front of the door leading out of the starting room was removed.
- A sector on the north-western wall of the dark room containing the yellow keycard was removed.
- The north-western room containing the rocket launcher has fewer sides, and the two columns are shaped like pentagons rather than octagons.
- The nukage pit on the north side of the level has fewer sides, as does the walkway running through it.
- The brightly-lit sectors either side of the staircase leading to the normal exit are removed.
- All tall techno pillars and floor lamps are removed from the level.
- There are fewer health and armor bonuses throughout the level. This is because these items give 2% health and armor respectively in console levels instead of 1%.
- The nukage-filled passage leading off the north-western room is wider to accommodate the player's increased radius.
- The large hole in the walkway over the nukage pit on the north side of the level was removed. The nukage around the walkway is much shallower, allowing players who fall in to escape.
- The room behind secret #5 (the unmarked door in the room behind the blue door) is now an outdoor sector. The height of this room has been reduced.
- The room behind the yellow door was redesigned. The windows are narrower and do not have grates, and the monsters seen outside the room are on a raised ledge instead of being on the ground.
- The lift north of the secret exit is not marked as a secret.
- Switches throughout the level use a red/green light on silver wall texture (SW1COMM).
- Wall textures are replaced throughout the level, with the effect of reducing the number of different textures used.
- The grates around the nukage pit at the start of the level are replaced with translucent windows.
- The shotgun guys visible through the windows of the room behind the yellow door on UV are replaced with imps.
- On the PC version of the level, no monsters guard the room behind the yellow door on HMP and lower skill levels. On console versions, six imps are visible outside the room on UV, four on HMP, and two on IAAW/NTR.
- Chaingunners are added to the level on UV in the following locations:
- One in the north-western room containing the rocket launcher.
- One in the corridor in the center of the level, leading to the northern nukage pit.
- One in the open room before the hallway leading to the secret exit.
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"On The Hunt"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"Dark Halls"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"Dark Halls"||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"Kitchen Ace (And Taking Names)"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"Sanity's Edge"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"Sanity's Edge"||Aubrey Hodges|
This level contains nine spawn points:
- facing south-east. (thing 266)
- facing north. (thing 267)
- facing east. (thing 268)
- facing north. (thing 269)
- facing west. (thing 270)
- facing north. (thing 271)
- facing east. (thing 272)
- facing north. (thing 273)
- facing north. (thing 274)
Inspiration and development
|Console Doom levels - Sega 32X|
|Phobos:||MAP01: Hangar • MAP02: Plant • MAP03: Toxin Refinery • MAP04: Command Control • MAP05: Phobos Lab • MAP06: Central Processing • MAP07: Computer Station • MAP08: Phobos Anomaly|
|Deimos:||MAP09: Deimos Anomaly • MAP10: Containment Area • MAP11: Refinery • MAP12: Deimos Lab • MAP13: Command Center • MAP14: Halls of the Damned • MAP15: Spawning Vats|
|Secret levels:||MAP24: Military Base|