MAP03: Toxin Refinery (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|All Jaguar-based ports|
|Secret exit: Military Base|
MAP03: Toxin Refinery is the third level of most console versions of Doom, based on the original E1M3: Toxin Refinery with modifications made to accommodate consoles' limitations. The author of the conversion is American McGee, and the original authors of the map are Tom Hall and John Romero. The map first appeared in Atari Jaguar version, and is additionally used in the 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Boy Advance, Sony PlayStation, and Sega Saturn versions.
This level contains a secret exit leading to MAP24: Military Base. The Sony PlayStation and Sega Saturn ports will lead to MAP56: Military Base instead, which is same conversion having another map slot.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Other points of interest
- (sector 57)
- (sector 76)
- (sector 101)
- (sector 106)
- (sector 116)
- (sector 143)
Comparison of versions
Numerous changes were made to this level compared to the PC version.
- Several staircases have fewer steps, similar to other levels in PSX Doom.
- A brightly-lit sector in front of the door leading out of the starting room was removed.
- A sector on the north-western wall of the dark room containing the yellow keycard was removed.
- The north-western room containing the rocket launcher has fewer sides, and the two columns are shaped like pentagons rather than octagons.
- The nukage pit on the north side of the level has fewer sides, as does the walkway running through it.
- The brightly-lit sectors either side of the staircase leading to the normal exit are removed.
- All tall techno pillars and floor lamps are removed from the level.
- The nukage-filled passage leading off the north-western room is wider to accommodate the player's increased radius.
- The large hole in the walkway over the nukage pit on the north side of the level was removed. The nukage around the walkway is much shallower, making it possible to escape if the player falls in.
- The room behind secret #5 (the unmarked door in the room behind the blue door) is now an outdoor sector. The height of this room has been reduced.
- The room behind the yellow door was redesigned. The windows are narrower and do not have grates, and the monsters seen outside the room are on a raised ledge instead of being on the ground.
- Switches throughout the level use an on/off switch on silver wall texture.
- Wall textures are replaced throughout the level, with the effect of reducing the number of different textures used.
- The grates around the nukage pit at the start of the level are replaced with translucent windows.
- The shotgun guys visible through the windows of the room behind the yellow door on Ultra-Violence are replaced with imps.
- On the PC version of the level, no monsters guard the room behind the yellow door on easy and medium skill levels. On console versions, six imps are visible outside the room on Ultra-Violence, four on Hurt Me Plenty, and two on I am a wimp/Not Too Rough.
- Chaingunners are added to the level on Ultra-Violence in the following locations:
- One in the north-western room containing the rocket launcher.
- One in the corridor in the center of the level, leading to the northern nukage pit.
- One in the open room before the hallway leading to the secret exit.
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"On The Hunt"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"Dark Halls"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"Dark Halls"||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"Kitchen Ace (And Taking Names)"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"Sanity's Edge"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"Sanity's Edge"||Aubrey Hodges|
This level contains nine spawn points:
- facing south-east. (thing 266)
- facing north. (thing 267)
- facing east. (thing 268)
- facing north. (thing 269)
- facing west. (thing 270)
- facing north. (thing 271)
- facing east. (thing 272)
- facing north. (thing 273)
- facing north. (thing 274)
Inspiration and development
|Console Doom levels - Sega 32X|
|Phobos:||MAP01: Hangar • MAP02: Plant • MAP03: Toxin Refinery • MAP04: Command Control • MAP05: Phobos Lab • MAP06: Central Processing • MAP07: Computer Station • MAP08: Phobos Anomaly|
|Deimos:||MAP09: Deimos Anomaly • MAP10: Containment Area • MAP11: Refinery • MAP12: Deimos Lab • MAP13: Command Center • MAP14: Halls of the Damned • MAP15: Spawning Vats|
|Secret levels:||MAP24: Military Base|