MAP03: Twisted (Enigma)
|The Enigma Episode maps|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
You start right on a brick room with green pillars to each side. Go to the west side end of the room. The last pillar as a small crack where you can attack a cacodemon, and it is also a lift, so press it and move forward to pick up the items in front. This will activate the next pillar in front of you to lower down, and so on with all the following pillars, until you reach the last one, wait for it to go up again and press a skull switch on the wall. This will open up the new area behind you, to the south.
Now turn left, to the east and keep moving until you reach a red room on the north wall, guarded by some mancubus. Inside is a switch that will lower the platform. Move and go near the bottom of the platform, you'll see a hidden door on the north side. This little room contains some useful items. Right in front of the blue armor there is a hidden door, again, which will reveal to you the next switch. Press it and go back to the platform and wait to go up. Now the red key, on a little room on the south, will be ready for you to pick up.
Now keep following the path forward and you will enter a red room area. Keep moving west until you reach the second red room. Now, to your left, on the south wall, there's a hidden door right on the upper corner. Jump into the other side but slowly and carefully to avoid jumping into the portal. If you do this correctly, you'll find right over the yellow key. Now, take the portal.
You will be in a new area near the exit. Turn back a little, to the west, and you will see a silver door on the lower floor. Go through it. Once you are outside, walk to the left near the wooden walls. On the end of the wall you will see a small aperture where a silver platform is. This will lead you to the start of the map. Now go to the original area where you started the level, move slightly to the southwest and you will see an opening where the blue key lies.
Now you have all the keys and can simply go back to the exit area, right before the yellow key. Open the doors and finish the map.
Other points of interest
- The westernmost pillar in the start room (which is hollow and houses a box of shotgun shells and a cacodemon (on hard skill)) lowers on pressing its western side. Walking across any of the other three sides of this pillar lowers the second pillar (containing a box of bullets). Walking across the western side of this pillar lowers the third pillar (containing a super shotgun, a box of shotgun shells, and a partial invisibility), and walking across the eastern side of the third pillar lowers the fourth pillar (which contains a baron of Hell). Ride the fourth pillar up and press the switch on the eastern wall. This reveals some passages to the north and south, which start crushing when you walk towards the eastern area. These crushers are all part of the same secret sector. (sector 26)
- The outside area to the west has an alcove just south of the maze area leading via a lift back to the indoor area. (sector 23)
- The north-west of the aforementioned maze has a switch which lowers a platform in the south of the maze, containing a rocket launcher, four boxes of rockets, and a cacodemon (on easy skill) or arch-vile (on medium and hard skills). It is also possible to reach this secret by walking along a ledge from the blue key and into the picture, which will teleport you to the secret. (sector 54)
- From the red key, travel north, turn left and go through the door to a room with a red floor. There is another door ahead, which leads to the room just north of the yellow key. (sector 41)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on August 1, 2022.
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 267)
- facing east. (thing 268)
- facing south. (thing 269)
- facing south. (thing 270)
- facing west. (thing 271)
- facing north. (thing 272)
Inspiration and development
The original version of this level was UPDOWN.wad.