MAP03 (99 Ways to Die)
|99 Ways to Die maps|
MAP03 is the third and final map of 99 Ways to Die. It was designed by Warren Marshall.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Head north from the starting position, then, at the crossroads, take the south-western path. Continue into an outdoor area and press the skull switch there, lowering a lift. Take the lift up and head down the passage, pressing the gargoyle switch on the way. You will arrive into another outdoor area. Enter the building here (opened by the aforementioned gargoyle switch) and find the red skull key at the top of the winding stairs.
Now return all the way to the crossroads near the start, and this time take the north-eastern path. Open the red key bars at the end and proceed to a green marble room. Open the door with the baron face to the west and follow the corridor to reach a circle-shaped lift. Walk onto the lift and wait until it brings you to a niche with a teleport pad. Enter the teleport (on hard difficulty the teleport doesn't work, see #Bugs; you will have to cheat) to reach the final area, where the exit switch awaits to the east.
Other points of interest
The south-eastern path in the crossroads leads to an optional area, containing some ammo and health. It begins with a small outdoor yard, where a door in the north-west corner leads to an underground passage. Follow the passage until you drop down into a cage, which you can open with a switch inside. Head down the passage to the south-west, all the way to the door back into the main part of the level.
- The starting location (sector 330) is marked as a secret. Impossible to miss.
- In the optional underground area to the east, after leaving the cage, you can pass through the nukage fall to the north-west to reach a room with a megasphere. One of the stair-like sectors surrounding the megasphere (sector 253) is marked as secret. However, the sector is so thin that it is impossible to actually register the secret.
- The level cannot be completed on the Ultra Violence or Nightmare! difficulties because a vital teleport landing is erroneously marked to appear only on the Easy and Medium skill levels.
- As noted in the Secrets section, the megasphere secret is impossible to trigger, so the maximum possible score is 50% secrets.
Areas / screenshots
Due to the bug that prevents the completion of the map on Ultra-Violence or Nightmare!, speedruns use the fixed version 99ways03-fix.wad (created by Memfis). 99ways03-fix.wad is available for download here at the Doom Speed Demo Archive.
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||1:06.77||Tobby||2022-10-22||99w03p106.zip||Cross-listed from Pacifist|
Plays back with 99ways03-fix.wad
|UV max||3:40.77||Maribo||2022-07-28||99w03m340.zip||Plays back with 99ways03-fix.wad|
|UV pacifist||1:06.77||Tobby||2022-10-22||99w03p106.zip||Plays back with 99ways03-fix.wad|
|NoMo||1:02.69||Tobby||2022-10-21||99w03o102.zip||Plays back with 99ways03-fix.wad|
The data was last verified in its entirety on October 24, 2022.
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level: