MAP04: Castle Klattakus (Hexen Upstart Mapping Project)
|Hexen Upstart Mapping Project maps|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Turn left as the level starts to dispose of two ettins, then head down the steps in the north-east corner of the room and go round the bend to find (for mage players) Frost Shards; watch out for a brown chaos serpent that teleports behind you as you pass this point. Head forward into a dining hall (cleric players will find a Serpent Staff on the table), then open either of the doors in the east wall to enter the kitchen where you will see three switches on the north wall (fighter players will also find Timon's Axe here). Only the east switch needs to be pressed; after doing so, return to the dining room and head up either of the south staircases then go through a tunnel in front of you to find two more staircases leading east or west.
Go up the east staircase and walk all the way to the end of the hallway, then open the doors on your right to enter a bathroom where an ettin guards a moon switch. Press the switch then go back to the top of the stairs and open the doors on your left to enter a hall with a brown and/or green chaos serpent. Open the doors at the far end of the hall and turn right to enter a room with another staircase, drop down to the floor below then enter the east hallway and open one of the first two doors on your right to enter a small library with (depending on skill level) ettins, a centaur and afrit or dark bishops. Press the moon switch in the south-east corner of the library then go back to the staircase and pass through the south door that has now opened. Kill the two approaching afrits then take the castle key sitting between them.
Picking up the castle key will cause the floor to fall away; kill two more afrits that are released behind you then carefully jump across the platforms that have been left behind to get back to the staircase room. Gray bars have risen around the staircase to block your way back up - go into the west hallway this time and look through the open door on your left to see (depending on skill level) ettins, centaurs, bishops or wendigos guarding a teleporter. Enter the teleporter to get back to the top of the blocked staircase, then head north through either of the wide hallways (which now contain crushers and a lethal pit) to get back to the dining room area. Retrace your steps to the starting room, dodging the dart traps that have been activated here, and make your way to the north-west corner of the room to find a keyhole. Use the keyhole to reveal a chain switch and pull it to open the nearby door and get outside, where serpents and slaughtaurs (plus bishops on medium skill level, and reivers on hard) are guarding a teleporter that leads back to MAP02: Garden of Torture.
Other points of interest
There are no official secrets on this map.
- In the dining hall, jump up to the mural of the robed figure on the west wall and open it to find two fléchettes and (depending on player class) a combined mana, a porkalator or Boots of Speed.
- From the staircase room at the south end of the map, enter the west corridor and open the second door on the left to find a storeroom. Go to the crate in the south-east corner of the room (with a triangle symbol on it) and press the north side of the crate to open it and reveal a Falcon Shield. Also be sure to take the Dark Servant next to this crate.
- Getting the aforementioned Dark Servant will open a door at the west end of the hallway, revealing a large hall with four Discs of Repulsion and a Mystic Urn (you can also open the mismatched section of the south wall to find a Quartz Flask). Taking the urn will reveal a pack of ettins in front of you, but do not step back too quickly as four fast-moving crushers have activated behind you.
- Go up either of the staircases in the dining room and open the door west of the tunnel in front of you, then step over the east side of the bed in this room. Now go to the staircase room at the south end of the level and head to the end of the east corridor to find a Mystic Ambit Incant. Taking the item will reveal a centaur in front of you and six ettins behind you.
- Go up either of the staircases in the dining room and open the door east of the tunnel in front of you, then turn left to press a moon switch hidden behind the door. Now go into the wide hall due south of this room (with one or two serpents) and open the door in the south-west corner; a bookcase in the room behind it has lowered revealing Dragonskin Bracers.
Areas / screenshots
As this level does not contain official secrets, the NM 100S category is redundant.
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on February 19, 2022.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 714)
- facing west. (thing 715)
- facing west. (thing 719)
- facing west. (thing 720)
- facing west. (thing 721)
- facing west. (thing 725)
- facing west. (thing 726)
- facing west. (thing 727)