MAP04: Fireworks (Requiem)
|Requiem maps 01-10|
- 1 Description
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 Sources
- 12 External links
According to both the text file and the Requiem info pack:
- Another outpost of hell, surrounded by a field of lava. Your mission is as simple as always: Don't die...
There are three doors at the top of the stairs here. Kill the zombies and take the central door. Inside, press the switch on the right, and then the switch on the left. This opens the bars ahead, and a Hell knight guards the entrance of the room with the lava in the center. Just go around this room to the northern door. Behind it, enter the room with the lava circle and press the switch to raise a staircase (look out for chaingunners). The stairs lead to a switch which opens bars nearby. Go through them and open the next door. At the end of the hall, hit the switch and return back to find the bars are closed again and a room with Hell knights is open. Kill them and press the switch at the end to open the bars again. Go back to the lava-filled central room to find the key is accessible. When you grab it, chaingunners will appear in the corners of the room. Now that you have the yellow skull key, return all the way back to the starting point and take the door with yellow markings on it. Kill the demons and go through the next door. In here, press the switch at the end to open a room with spectres and demons, and press the switch in their room to exit and open up a wall with the blue skull key. When you grab it you will teleport to a cavernous area with imps behind cages and spectres on the ground floor. Flip the switch at ground level to reveal Hell knights and an extra staircase upward. Go up the stairs and flip the switch here. Now return to the ground floor and head left and up, through the open door. You can see the starting point outside, but to get back, open the next door and flip the switch inside to raise a bridge to go back. Look out for cacodemons when you cross the bridge, and back at the start, take the left door with blue markings to continue. Follow this path, through the rooms and across the bridge to reach the final room. Attempting to reach the exit causes it to close for thirty seconds while pain elementals will try to harass you from the red walls. Fend them off, and then exit when the bars open.
Other points of interest
- When you enter the north of the building, look behind the spectres at the east, and you will notice a skull switch on the wall. Shoot it, and a door will open to the west, leading to a backpack. (sector 99) Note that if you raise the stairway and reach the switch at the apex, the other switch will be closed off, and this secret will become inaccessible if you have not opened it already.
- At the east of the building, in the corridor where the switch to access the blue skull is found, the sides of the corridor have metal plates bearing a pentagram, a devil face, and an upside-down cross. The northwest portion of the wall, however, does not. Open it to find a secret passageway, and then open the wall at the end to access the chaingunners' cage from earlier, as well as security armor. (sector 55)
- Because a berserk pack is locked away in the inaccessible deathmatch portion of the level, it is impossible to get 100% items on this map.
- When the player enters the room in the east with the cross-latticed ceiling to lower the pedestal with the yellow keys, he is likely to cross one of two walkover linedefs (469 and 470) that lower bars in the previous room. These bars are raised by flipping the switch in the Hell knight trap to the north. This switch is a single-use switch. Hence, if the player triggers only one of these walkover linedefs, flips the switch in the Hell knight trap, then goes back to the room and triggers the other walkover linedef, he will be permanently unable to re-raise the bars and unable to progress the level unless the noclip cheat is used.
Areas / screenshots
Behind the wall with chaingunners
Routes and tricks
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:18||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2008-03-24||rq04-118.zip|
|NM speed||04:21||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2005-12-27||rs04-421.zip|
|UV max||04:07||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-07-10||rq04-407.zip|
|NM100S||04:21||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2005-12-27||rs04-421.zip|
|UV -fast||06:59||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-05-01||rf04-659.zip|
|UV Tyson||31:02||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2004-04-05||rt043102.zip|
|UV pacifist||14:24||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2008-03-27||rp041424.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on May 15, 2013.
This level includes its own, separate deathmatch arena.
This arena contains six spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 306)
- facing east. (thing 307)
- facing west. (thing 308)
- facing north. (thing 309)
- facing north-west. (thing 310)
- facing west. (thing 311)
|4 shotgun shells||4|
|Health & Armor||1-2||3||4-5|
Inspiration and development
- Southeast of the building, the words "Would you die for this?" can be seen on the automap. This phrase also appeared in Memento Mori II MAP10: Clear for Death.
- The separate deathmatch area of the map is a cropped copy of the main area of the map.