MAP04: Hell Mountain (No Rest for the Living)
|No Rest for the Living maps|
MAP04: Hell Mountain is the fourth map of No Rest for the Living. It was designed by Russell Meakim and uses the music track "Shawn's Got The Shotgun". The par time is 1:45. In the version released as an official add-on, it utilises the red hellish sky of Doom II ("SKY3") instead of the default one featuring brown clouds ("SKY1"), thanks to DMAPINFO.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Walk forward to the marble building and open the big marble baron head. Get inside and open a door. Turn left, walk along, open three doors behind each other, jump down and take the yellow skull.
After the yellow skull was taken, open the door in front of it and the yellow door behind it. Turn left twice and open the door. Push the switch behind it to lower the blue skull in front of it.
After taking the blue skull, turn left, open the blue door and go through the gate.
Other points of interest
Touching the door right north of the yellow skull key opens a teleporter in the start room with the destination just behind that door. This new shortcut enables you to save up the invisibility sphere from secret #1 for a more efficient use inside the castle. In coop mode, in case a player dies and respawns at the map start, he can use the teleporter instead of walking again up to the castle.
- From the map start follow the hallway to the east. At the bend, instead of entering the open area to the north, push the wall to the south to open a secret place (sector 550), containing two medikits and an invisibility sphere.
- After entering the castle through the door right north of the yellow skull key and standing in front of the yellow door, walking westwards opens an alcove in the northern wall west of the yellow door, releasing an ambush (an imp on easy, a demon on medium, a cacodemon on hard skill levels). Open the northern wall of this alcove to find a hidden place (sector 423) with eight health bonuses, two medikits and a switch (for later use; see secret #6). Through the window in the western wall you can easily kill the imp(s) behind it.
- Return to the hallway south of secret #2 and follow it to the western end, then to the south. Open the door to find a room with some monsters and a green armor in front of a grating on the east. Push the western wall between the two red torches to release a demon, guarding a computer map, a stimpack and two sets of shotgun shells (sector 811).
- Leave secret #3, enter the door to the north, ascend the stairs, walk through another door to enter the courtyard. Look towards the southernmost point, you can walk behind the bloodfall. Press against the back wall to find a teleporter which leads to the red skull key (sector 776).
- Down the bottom of the quad - at it's northernmost point - is a wall in the center that can be opened. Hit the switch in the room (sector 836) behind; a door at the top of the quad's steps opens and releases enemies. The door leads to the castle balcony where a plasma gun lies waiting.
- Once you have lowered the pillar where the blue skull key is on, return to secret #2. Remember the switch at the rear? Hit it, and back out of the alcove. Turn west, and run past the blue key platform, taking the first available right-hand opening through where the bars were formerly blocking the entrance. In the far left corner, the wall will be open. Enter and walk up the stairs to find a soul sphere (sector 425).
- Secret Exit: After entering the yellow door from the south, walk straight northwards through the hallway. Walk to the eastern side of the mound in front of you and ride up the wooden lift. Using the skull switch (you need the red skull key from secret #4) opens a wall in the north of the passage west of you, releasing a cacodemon. Enter the dark area in the new opening to register the secret (sector 533) and proceed to the northern end of the corridor. In front of the eastern wall are three candles, open it to kill an imp and to find a second skull switch. Using it opens the wall at the corridor's northern end. Kill both attacking demons and find a third skull switch in the north across the bars. Use it to open a passage next to the second skull switch. Pass it to find two imps, four armor bonuses and a fourth skull switch in the north of the platform. Push it to lower the bars across the third switch and walk up the stairs there to first cause a door in the far west to open and then the lift in front of you to lower. Ride it up, kill some imps and grab the blue armor. Return to the lift, descend the stairs to lower the lift again and then to open that door again. As you hear the door opening, quickly run up the stairs onto the still lowered lift, ride it up and run westwards to enter the door before it closes. (You can open it from inside.) The teleporter behind it is the exit to the secret level MAP09: March of the Demons.
- After using the first skull switch in secret #7, enter the passage where the cacodemon came from. Hug the eastern wall and walk southwards, exiting the passage, following the bend. Keep hugging the wall to your left. Before you descend the step to the east, you will have registered the secret (sector 868). See Bugs section below.""
There are only 7 intended secrets in Hell Mountain; the 8th secret is a mapping oversight in which one normal ground sector was inadvertently marked and released as secret. See here (archived 🏛) and here (archived 🏛). To collect this final "secret" simply walk over the sector like any other secret.
When pointed out to the maps creator, Russell "Castle" Meakim, he replied:
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed (normal exit)||0:41.63||2021-11-12||nerve-4-4163.zip|
|UV speed (secret exit)||1:01.11||2021-11-13||nerve-4s-10111.zip|
|NM speed (normal exit)||0:43.60||2021-08-23||nerve-4n-4360.zip|
|NM speed (secret exit)||1:15.86||2022-07-01||nr04sn115.zip|
|UV max||3:43.46||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2022-02-20||nr04-343.zip|
|NM 100S||2:42.40||Jean-Charles Dorne (JCD)||2021-11-28||nr4ns244.zip|
|UV -fast||5:27.51||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2019-07-10||nr04f527.zip|
|UV -respawn||3:00.83||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2019-07-10||nr04r300.zip|
|UV Tyson||21:26.71||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2018-05-07||nr04t2126.zip|
|UV pacifist (normal exit)||0:41.89||2020-10-08||nr04p041.zip|
|UV pacifist (secret exit)||1:31.69||2023-04-22||nr4sp131.zip|
|NoMo (normal exit)||0:38.63||2021-02-27||nr04o3863.zip|
|NoMo (secret exit)||0:55.63||2020-10-10||TomatoTom_NRoPack.zip|
|Stroller (secret exit)||4:32.06||2023-04-22||nr4sstr432.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 26, 2023.
This level contains twelve spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 478)
- facing east. (thing 479)
- facing west. (thing 480)
- facing south. (thing 481)
- facing east. (thing 482)
- facing east. (thing 483)
- facing north-east. (thing 484)
- facing north-east. (thing 485)
- facing west. (thing 486)
- facing south. (thing 487)
- facing south. (thing 488)
- facing east. (thing 494)
Inspiration and development
- In terms of the counts of vertices, linedefs, sidedefs, and sectors, Hell Mountain is the most complex map in No Rest for the Living, and most likely one of if not the most complex official maps published for the game thus far.