MAP04: Proving Grounds (32in24-5)
MAP04: Proving Grounds is the fourth map of 32in24-5, a deathmatch megawad. It was designed by Elric Sullivan (Fisk), detailed by Sarah Mancuso (esselfortium), and uses the music track "We Die Young" by Alice in Chains, sequenced to MIDI.
It was first of three layouts submitted by Sullivan, and the third submitted layout overall, arriving 50 minutes into the session. It was originally supposed to use a MIDI rendition of "My Spirit Will Go On" by DragonForce, but this MIDI was assigned to MAP21 instead.
Proving Grounds takes place in a moderately-sized courtyard within a large fortress. The map is divided into two sections by a marble wall, which we can refer to as the inner courtyard and the outer courtyard.
In each of the four corners of the outer courtyard is a weapon and some ammunition. A chaingun can be found in the north-east and south-west corners, whereas a plasma gun is available in the south-east and north-west. Each corner has three ammo pickups: boxes of rockets in the south-east, boxes of shells in the north-east, energy cells in the north-west, and boxes of bullets in the south west. Along the north edge of the outer wall is a small annex containing the exit switch.
Midway along each outer edge of the dividing wall is a door that opens to allow access to the inner courtyard as well a switch either side of the door that lowers the entire section of dividing wall next to it, for example, the switches to the west of the north door and to the north of the west door will lower the entire north-west corner wall. A green armor can be found on top of each corner of the wall. The wall behaves like a lift, so it will lower to ground level before returning to its original height a few seconds later.
The inner courtyard allows for a more close-quarters kind of combat. Vaguely reminiscent of Dead Simple, it features four square platforms surrounding the centre, and a tall column can be found at the centre, which can be lowered to take the rocket launcher on top of it.
This level contains eleven spawn points. A super shotgun can be found just in front of each spawn location.
- In the south of the inner courtyard, facing north. (thing 0)
- In the east of the inner courtyard, facing west. (thing 1)
- In the north of the inner courtyard, facing south. (thing 2)
- In the west of the inner courtyard, facing east. (thing 3)
- On the platform north-west of the centre, facing south-east. (thing 4)
- On the platform north-east of the centre, facing south-west. (thing 5)
- On the platform south-east of the centre, facing north-west. (thing 6)
- On the platform south-west of the centre, facing north-east. (thing 7)
- In the north of the outer courtyard, facing east. (thing 44)
- In the west of the outer courtyard, facing south. (thing 45)
- In the east of the outer courtyard, facing south. (thing 47)
Areas / screenshots
|Box of bullets||3|
|Box of shotgun shells||3|
|Box of rockets||3|
|Health & Armor||1-2||3||4-5|