MAP05: Calculating Under Pressure (Avactor)
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
This level revolves around a central arena where waves of monsters will appear. When you first enter, the red skull key will lower on a pillar. If you are not prepared (particularly if starting with a pistol) it would be wise to spend a little time gearing up before triggering the first big fight. One of the secrets can be quite helpful in that regard.
When you're ready, collect the red skull key in the arena and deal with the first wave of enemies. Then open the red door and follow the path, hitting the skull switch, being ambushed in the lava, and hitting another skull switch to restore the bridge. On the eastern shore, the dock will sink as an invasion fleet appears. It isn't necessary to fight the fleet; you only need to reach the teleporter on the ship.
Back in the arena, the yellow skull key lowers. Collect it to start the second wave. More enemies will teleport in after a short break. Open the yellow door, climb the stairs and hit both the switches (avoiding the crushers), and continue on to a teleporter back to the arena. The blue skull key lowers, heralding the third wave. Collect it when you're ready.
When approaching the blue temple, the stairs collapse. Take the newly-lowered teleporter instead and you'll end up back in the arena behind the third door. Pull the face switch to lower the bars and proceed. In the next room are four switches; each releases a different group of enemies. After hitting all four switches you can proceed outside to a teleporter. On a ledge overlooking the blue temple, a switch restores the stairs. Teleporting lands you back into the arena with a fourth wave active. Collecting the BFG 9000 on the central pillar releases a few more enemies. Finally, climb the blue temple, ride the elevator down, and exit the level.
Other points of interest
- Northwest of the arena, a blood-soaked pillar opens a door to a teleporter. (sector 856) Your reward is a few rockets and line-of-sight to secret #2.
- A skull switch on the wall opens a door to a BFG 9000. (sector 4585) Intended to be shot from the platform in secret #1 (without mouselook).
- A bloody brick in the west wall of the arena reveals a backpack and some rockets. (sector 477)
- In the southwest corner of the map, entering the buildings teleports you to another building. At the third building, jump down into the water for a chainsaw and a bit of practice. (sector 1791)
- In the southeast of the map, a stairway inside a wall leads to a area map. (sector 4149)
- Past the red door, on the eastern shore, a skull switch lowers a pillar hiding a soul sphere. (sector 2464)
- Past the yellow door, a green carving on the right lowers to reveal a backpack. (sector 673)
- Near the southeast switch in the four-switch room, a bloody wall opens to reveal a backpack. (sector 4268)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are: