MAP05: Catwalk (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
Master Levels episode
MAP05: Catwalk is the fifth map of PlayStation Final Doom, and the fifth map of the Master Levels episode. It is based on the PC version of MAP01: The Catwalk from the Master Levels for Doom II, with modifications to accommodate the PlayStation's framerate and storage capacity limitations and add enhancements such as colored lighting. It uses the music track "Malignant".
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
From the starting position, head east across the moving floors to a room with barrow bridges over water. Step on the light lamp in the middle then press the switch which is revealed in the south alcove, followed by the east switch and finally the north switch. Go back to the alcove where you pressed the east switch and walk through the door that has opened. Press the switch behind one of the metal columns, which will lower the platform holding the yellow skull key which you should collect.
Press use on the computer screens by the west wall to open them, and head back across the moving floors to the start point. Go west from here and cross more moving floors to an outdoor area. Open either yellow door and press the switch in the south-west corner of this room, which will raise a bridge in the next room to the north. Follow the nearby staircase down and it will lead you to a teleporter. Step through to another outdoor area and press the switch in front of you, lowering the platform with the plasma gun. Step on the teleporter in this area and it will return you to the start point.
Go east to the room with the water pits and head through the northern exit. Head south-east to find a pair of yellow skull bars, open these and press the switch behind them. Now head north-west where you will see a wall has opened leading to another outdoor area. Press the switch to the south which will raise a staircase to the upper floor. Press use on the grey panel in the north-east corner to lower it, then run south across the panels to the teleport pad which will take you to an area with the red skull key in front of you. Take it, then use the nearby teleporter to return to the start point.
The door in front of you is now open - head forward and cross the narrow bridge, then open the red door in front of you and press the switch behind it to finish the level.
Other points of interest
- A shotgun is placed on the teleport pad on the west side of the water pit room.
- Armor, three energy cells, two boxes of shells and two boxes of bullets can be found in a dark alcove in the south-western outdoor area. A chaingun and a third box of bullets are placed in a corner of the south-western outdoor area (on PC, these two items are instead found at the bottom of the staircase in the nukage pit room to the north).
- A super shotgun is placed on the teleport pad in the nukage pit on the west side of the level. A megasphere is placed on the teleporter in the center of this room.
- A rocket launcher is placed in the outdoor area on the west side of the map which is accessed by teleporter.
- In the exit room, shoot the east wall to open a hidden door. (sector 218) Inside, you will find a maze-like area containing twelve armor bonuses, three medikits, a soul sphere, a box of bullets, two shell boxes, a backpack, and a switch near the center. Activating this switch opens a door in the northeast of this area, allowing access to 15 energy cells.
- In the exit room, shoot the west wall to open access to a hidden area. (sector 84) Inside, you will find two sets of four shotgun shells, a berserk pack in front of a switch, and a switch next to a pillar which blocks access to an energy cell pack. Flipping the switch behind the berserk pack enables access to the cell pack, as well as a hallway accessed from the center of the area ending in a switch. Pressing this switch lowers a pedestal with a megasphere on it in the southeast of the area. Pushing the switch near the pillar blocking access to the cell pack opens access to a BFG9000, as well as a doorway in the northwest leading to another switch near the center of the area. Activating this last switch opens the nearby wall, revealing five shotgun guys and four rocket launchers, and also unlocks access to the megasphere.
Comparison of versions
- All switches use a red/green light on metal wall texture (SW1MET2).
- The depths of several pits in the level were reduced. These include the nukage pits in the catwalk chamber and the west side of the level, and the water pits in the south-east of the level.
- The ceilings of the two chambers either side of the start point (with moving floors) were lowered, as well as the ceiling of the nukage pit room on the west side of the level.
- The light lamp in the center of the water pit room has a rapidly flashing light.
- The yellow door in the south-east of the map (blocking the switch that opens the door to the catwalk) is changed to two yellow skull bars.
- A chaingun and box of bullets are moved from the nukage pit room in the west of the map, and placed in a corner of the south-western outdoor area.
- The staircase over the nukage pit in the south-west of the level has fewer steps. The north-western step is changed to a lift, allowing players to escape the nukage pit by the west wall.
- The hanging victim in secret #2 is replaced with a meat hook decoration.
- Three sets of four shotgun shells are added to the area with the red skull key.
- Two medikits are added to the south side of the catwalk chamber, on the edge of the nukage pit.
- The catwalk no longer lowers when crossed. Teleport pads are added to either side of the nukage pit so that players can escape from it.
- Metal fences are used on the "imp cages" in the catwalk chamber instead of brown rails.
- Barons of Hell are replaced with Hell knights.
- The level's only cacodemon, found by the yellow bars in the south-east area of the map on Ultra Violence skill level (UV), is replaced with a pain elemental.
- An imp is added behind the yellow doors in the south-west of the map on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) and UV.
- Each "imp cage" in the catwalk chamber contains two imps instead of one.
- A chaingunner and two Hell knights are added at the north end of the catwalk chamber on UV.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing south-east. (thing 135)
- facing east. (thing 136)
- facing west. (thing 137)
- facing north-east. (thing 160)
- facing east. (thing 184)