MAP05: Imp Madness (The Abyss)
|The Abyss maps 01-11|
MAP05: Imp Madness is the fifth level of The Abyss. It was designed by J.M.P van Waveren (MrElusive), and consists of numerous spiral staircases, including an early "room-over-room" effect using lifts.
This level also introduces switch puzzles, where the player must manipulate floor heights to create stairs to reach a key. The name "Imp Madness" is likely due to an imp teleporter trap before the yellow key puzzle room, plus the large number of imps in the level.
Other points of interest
- In the nukage area with three round marble columns, enter the nukage near the northeast column and use the skull switch at the north end to lower the lift inside the column. The switch dead ahead will raise a bridge leading from the northeast column to the northwest column. When the lift rises, cross over and collect a soul sphere. (sector 30)
- From the spiral staircase at the start, take the blue door to the west. Cross the collapsing bridge here (if you mess up, there is a way onto the platform via the wall in the northwest corner) and you will see an arrow pointing to a wall in the next corridor. Open it for a switch, which will raise a bridge over the nearby nukage leading to a chaingun and boxes of ammo. (sector 76)
- From the two marble columns mentioned in Secret #1, enter the nukage at the north end and find the corridor which eventually leads to a teleporter. Take it to reach the hidden compartments with imps behind cages. Keep teleporting until you are in the southeast corner of the red key area, where there will be four armor bonuses in front of you. Notice the rocket launcher outside. To get it, open the north wall. (sector 197)
- The teleporter you start on can be used to reach a hidden area. When you have all three keys, return here and open all of the doors, where the red door hides some shotgun shells. (sector 318)
- From the spiral staircase at the start, head north. In the next brown room. there is a cage to the south with imps behind marble bars. Press on the leftmost bar to access the cage and collect a backpack and a medikit. (sector 325)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 15, 2018.
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 4)
- facing north. (thing 112)
- facing east. (thing 118)
- facing west. (thing 120)
- facing east. (thing 249)
- facing north-east. (thing 250)