MAP05: Last Refuge of the Anasazi (Ancient Aliens)
|Ancient Aliens maps|
One Last Vision Quest
|You're the Alien Now|
MAP05: Last Refuge of the Anasazi is the fifth map of Ancient Aliens. It was designed by Paul DeBruyne (skillsaw) and uses the music track "Toejazz," composed by Stuart Rynn (stewboy). The par time is 4:15.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Once the level starts, you'll want to grab the berserk and security armor nearby and deal with the swath of demons, imps, and zombiemen. Attacking will alert a cyberdemon who will roam the central area for the duration of the level. Exploring the area will find you a shotgun to the west, a chaingun to the southeast (which will teleport in more enemies), and a soulsphere as well as partial invisibility in the northeastern corner. Grabbing the soulsphere will activate a crusher, so be quick. The blue key is located on the north end, up a set of stairs. Picking it up will trigger walls to fall and expose you to some chaingunners, so deal with them and return to the main area.
Head back to the south end, dealing with two Hell knights along the way. Press the blue key switch to lower a set of stairs surrounding the starting area. Climb these stairs and grab the red key, then deal with the ambush that appears complete with two cacodemons. Use the red key on the western switch to open access to a pit. Drop down and grab the rocket launcher to trigger a fight with mancubi and demons. Head into the waterfall to fight some more enemies including two arachnotrons. Pressing the switch in here raises a lift on the northern end. Use the lift and open the door to a small group of enemies. On the other side where you dropped down, a teleporter has appeared that takes you to the yellow key.
Across from the yellow key is a set of bars. Opening these and pressing the switch will elevate you and allow you to access the arena on the eastern end. Deal with the revenants, shotgunners, and a pain elemental before pressing the switch on the far end. This will lower the walls containing the arena, and open the exit door to the south.
Other points of interest
- When you approach the area with the blue key, you open up alcoves underneath the beams in the central structure of the map. Go to the southern set of alcoves and you will find a switch in the bottom one. This raises a lift to the east of the switch. Use this lift to go up and then enter the area with neon-lighted platforms that contains stimpacks, boxes of rockets, a megaarmor, and a rocket launcher. (sector 784)
- On the stairs where the red key is located, head into the compartment just west of the red key. Press on the wall with a candle in front of it to lower it, and follow this hall to a super shotgun (this area contains rockets and a rocket launcher on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower). (sector 886)
- Press the switch in the far eastern section of the map, then return to where the red key switch was. There is an opening in the rocks with a bulk cell and a switch to lower the plasma gun. (sector 569)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||00:55||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2019-04-30||aa05-055.zip|
|UV max||03:24||Mr CooL ICE||2019-05-01||aa05-324.zip|
|UV -fast||05:52||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2016-11-13||aa05f552.zip|
|UV Tyson||22:32||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2017-03-17||aa05t2232.zip|
This information was last verified in its entirety on February 24, 2021.
Inspiration and development
- The 'Man' visable from secret number 2 in the south-east corner is a reference to the Nazca Lines, being identical to the geoglyph known as "The Giant". The Lines are popular among real-life ancient aliens theorists, who refer to the one referenced as "The Astronaut".