MAP05: The Canyon (Requiem)
|Requiem maps 01-10|
- 1 Description
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 Sources
- 12 External links
According to both the text file and the Requiem info pack:
- It just doesn't seem to be getting any easier, does it...?
- NOW it appears the mutant hellspawn have located and utterly corrupted the waste-processing plant in an outlying area. The only reason you can think of for them to do this is the ample room they have in the canyon... but that area is sealed...
- ...isn't it?
Grab the shotguns at the start and head into the main field. The area across from you has two lifts going downward and a door to the left. Go through the door if you want a super shotgun, but otherwise, take the right lift first. Take this path through a door and follow this path until you find a door at the northern bend. Enter this door and press the switch at the far end of this room. This opens up a hall on the path with the left lift, so now you need to go all the way back to the nexus with two lifts and then take the left one. Take this path down to a large nukage-filled room, with either a lot of lost souls or some pain elementals in the nukage depending on your difficulty level. On the small catwalk that you are on, head left and find the switch on the back side of the column to raise two bridges. When they rise up, cross over to the northwestern part of the room. Here, hit the switch on the back side of this column, then quickly run to the right, as there is a lift here with a demon that rises up eventually. At the top, go through the hall until you find the blue keycard, then return across the wooden beam back to the lifts.
There will probably be a few monsters here, so get rid of them and take the blue door to the east. You will see a blood trail on the floor at an intersection. Go north at the intersection, getting rid of the Hell knight. There will be two doors on the sides, each containing a Hell knight and a passage to two side rooms. Both of them have switches on the southern sides of the computer panels. You need to flip both of them. Once you do that, go back to the intersection, and go either south or east all the way to a red section. If you had pressed both switches earlier, a hall to the east will be open. Head through this hall, to find two side walls that act as doors. Take the right door, and kill the zombieman and Hell knight inside. The red keycard is in this small room. Press the eye switch on the opposite side to take it, then get out of here. You can use the other skin wall if you wish, to teleport to an area with supplies overlooking the red area. Otherwise go back to the main field.
Again, there might be some monsters back here, so kill them and proceed straight across to the red door. From here, you will be in the canyon, so head across the bridge. Some monsters may teleport into the center, so look out for them. You will find a marble hall with Hell knights and barons of Hell at the end of the bridge. Go through this hall killing the monsters and the exit will be right there.
Other points of interest
- In the room west of the two lifts, one portion of the wall in the northeast of the room is borded by rusted metal and has some moss on it. This wall can be walked through, leading into a hole with combat armor at the bottom. (sector 63) Press on the wall on the opposite end to activate the lift and exit.
- In the northern computer room, the east side of the mainframe has two yellow boxes with thick, gray corners at its bottom corners. Push it to find a secret passage into a corridor with security armor on one side and an unreachable yellow key on the other. (sector 188) Walk toward the yellow key, and a switch will appear behind you. Press it to raise a staircase leading to the key, allowing you to obtain it.
- Once you go through the blue key-locked door, look east of the intersection to find a wall with two yellow boxes bearing thick, gray borders at the bottom. This is a door that requires the yellow key from secret #2 to open. Once you have it, open it to find an intestine-covered passage leading to two medikits, and a tunnel with a soul sphere at the end. (sector 207) Approaching the soul sphere will cause a spectre (or demon on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower) to appear; at his location is an ammo box.
- At the end of the southwest, outdoor bridge, look to the west of the cave to see another section of wall with gray-bordered, yellow boxes at the bottom. This is another door that requires the yellow key from secret #2 to open. If you have it, open this to find a stairway up to higher ground. (sector 359) Follow the path until you reach a gray, stone area with an unreachable platform holding a rocket launcher, rockets, and a radiation suit. Head through the room and you will be attacked by enemies suddenly appearing. Kill them, and enter the teleporter at the northwest of the room to get on the platform and obtain the goods it carries.
- From secret #4, you can jump into the sludge pool south of the bridge. Look to the southeast to find a section of the pool covered by an animated teleporter texture (see Bugs.) Behind it is the cave from which the monsters who teleport onto the bridge originate; enter to find two medikits, and (on Hurt Me Plenty or lower) a soul sphere. (sector 53) Use the teleporter to get back on the bridge.
- Directly north of the exit teleporter is a section of wall without any lines cut in it. Open it to find a room with four medikits, security armor (on Hurt Me Plenty or higher), soul sphere and combat armor (both on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower), a box of ammo with a chaingun, a box of shells with a super shotgun, and a computer map. (sector 367)
The deathmatch portion of this level does not contain an exit, preventing you from leaving the level in multiplayer gameplay unless a timer has been set through the -timer switch. The created by Steve Terry adds an exit to this area located in the southwest.
The floors of sectors 52 and 85 are covered with an animated teleporter texture, even though they are at the same height as the brown sludge pool nearby them, and the sectors do not conform to the fixed grid that flats are aligned on. It is possible that this level was designed before the animated teleporter texture was added to the wad, using the start and end of the alternate brown slime animation (SLIME05 and SLIME08) as bookends, and no one on the development team remembered that the alternate brown slime animation was already used in a map.
Areas / screenshots
A Hell knight near the blue key
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||03:30||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-01-21||rq05-330.zip|
|NM speed||08:44||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2019-07-04||rn05-844.zip|
|UV max||08:44||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2001-11-13||rq05-844.zip|
|NM100S||11:50||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2019-06-01||rs051150.zip|
|UV -fast||13:57||Tomas Kollar (DeDo)||2004-03-23||rf051357.zip|
|UV -respawn||12:01||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-02-12||rr051201.zip|
|UV Tyson||34:15||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2004-06-01||rt053415.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 6, 2020.
This level includes its own, separate deathmatch arena.
This arena contains ten spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 625)
- facing south. (thing 626)
- facing south. (thing 627)
- facing north-east. (thing 628)
- facing west. (thing 629)
- facing north-west. (thing 630)
- facing south-east. (thing 631)
- facing west. (thing 632)
- facing north. (thing 633)
- facing west. (thing 634)
Inspiration and development
- Bugs.) - Adds an exit to the deathmatch area of this level (see