MAP06: Mount of Steel (Avactor)
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Enter the first cave and fight your way east across the bridge and into the yellow skull key room. There are three skull switches that trigger ambushes; pressing all three will lower the yellow skull key. Collect it and return to the first cave, now flooded with lava. A switch in the northeast raises pillars to the yellow door. Inside, head east down an elevator, through an assembly line, and into the lava arena. Carefully make your way around the arena, pressing the six skull switches. After the lava rises, collect the red skull key and use it to lower the central teleporter. Note that this area cannot be re-entered, so collect items and dispose of enemies before using the teleporter.
Back up top, head west on the path that curves back around to the red skull switch. Press it to open the south door. On the way back around you'll encounter a lava brawl detour. Ride the elevator in the west, proceed around the rim, hit the skull switch to open the gates, and fall back down near the blue skull key. Head through the south door and fight a series of battles past the blue door and around to the stamping room. Take the elevator up to grab the blue skull and trigger another fight.
Head back through the south door to the blue key door and down to the radiation suit complex. To obtain a suit, you'll need to fight through a series of rooms and ambushes. The first switch is found along the lava shore. Hit the switches in each subsequent room to progress. Upon grabbing a radiation suit, you'll be dropped into another ambush. Finish them off, then grab the other suit for the lava walk. The radiation suit on the lava walk triggers another ambush. You'll need to detour into the left cave to hit a switch that removes the bars on the far side of the lava. Past the bars, ride the elevator up and use the switch to open the path to the exit elevator. Collect the supplies before activating the elevator; it's a long way down and you'll have company most of the time. At the bottom, head into the hidden cove and commandeer an exit ship.
Other points of interest
- Visit the starting ship for a plasma gun. (sector 333)
- In the first cave, a darkened alcove across from the yellow door contains a chainsaw. (sector 3852) This alcove becomes inaccessible after collecting the yellow skull key.
- In the yellow skull key room, a bloody wall opens to reveal a backpack. (sector 3837)
- In the lava-flooded first cave, in the lava along the east wall is a hidden teleporter. (sector 4072) Your reward is not dying in the lava.
- Right before the southern entrance to the lava arena, an errant body part marks a secret chamber containing a BFG 9000. (sector 1890) This secret becomes inaccessible after entering the lava arena.
- After the lava brawl detour, drop to a small ledge and jump across to a cell pack. (sector 3840)
- Past the south door, a hidden door opens into the cage containing a soul sphere. (sector 801)
- Across from the blue door, a blank wall opens to reveal a cell and health bonus. (sector 3877)
- After obtaining the blue skull key, a blue switch to the north reveals a teleporter to a rocket launcher. (sector 1371)
- At the exit, a skull switch on the backside of a column opens one of the machine gun caches. (sector 3922)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are: