MAP06: The Gorge (Doom 2 the Way id Did)
|Doom 2 the Way id Did maps 01-11
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Kill the zombies ahead then head west and north across a bridge, noting the revenant and cacodemons that are released on the way. At the other end, approach the lift in front of you to lower it, triggering an ambush by shotgun guys, imps and a Hell knight, then get the berserk pack on the lift before riding it up to a ledge with a teleporter. Enter the teleporter to go to a ledge at the south end of the map, next to a large blood pit (the titular gorge), then head west down a staircase and north past a blue door, killing zombies as you go. Continue north until you reach a brightly-lit doorway and pass through it, then activate the lift on the west side of the room and ride it up to a cement ledge. Follow the ledge east until you reach a depression with a super shotgun guarded by two chaingunners, then press the gargoyle switch next to the shotgun; this will raise a bridge in the previous room leading to a rocket launcher. From here, head north and east to get back outside, where a second bridge has risen from the gorge allowing you to reach the blue keycard that sits on a column.
From the blue key, kill some cacodemons that are released from a closet to the north, then go back to the blue door you passed earlier and pass through it. Head east through a tunnel with health bonuses, kill any monsters waiting in the next room then climb up some curved steps (which will release cacodemons from the east and west walls) to a ledge with an armor and the yellow keycard; taking the key will release a baron of Hell in front of you. Go back outside and head round to the north end of the north side of the wooden ledge to reach a yellow door, pass through it and follow the path until you drop into a blood pool. Run to the south-west corner to flip a switch, which will raise a bridge from the east side of the pool, then go to the north side and climb the steps to get to that bridge. Enter the room at the south end of the bridge and kill any waiting zombies, then go up the steps at the east end and walk west towards a brown wall - before you reach it, a lift will lower you into a room with a wooden floor.
Head down the steps in the middle of the room and run south through a blood pool to a cement step, then go to the east wall to press a button - it will open the walls to your left and right to reveal imps, as well as a third wall behind you that hides spectres. Enter the spectres' chamber and flip the switch here to lower a lift, ride it up then follow the ledge south to a door that leads to a room with a circular walkway - do not fall in the blood here as it is inescapable. Go down the steps at the east end to a fenced staircase and go all the way down until you reach a metal lift, which will lower to reveal a gargoyle switch (and chaingunners on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) skill level or higher) that will open a wall behind you. Go down the stairs behind this wall and press another gargoyle switch on the west wall, which will lower the east wall to reveal a knight guarding the exit door. Open this door to find a chaingunner guarding the exit switch.
Other points of interest
A megaarmor can be found on the east side of the room east of the gorge.
- After getting on the lift that goes down to the room east of the gorge, wait for it to rise then open the cracked brown wall on the west side to find some health bonuses, a plasma gun and a gargoyle switch. (sector 73)
- Press the switch in secret #1 to open the north wall in the previous room, then go through and follow a tunnel to some armor bonuses - a lift will lower that you can ride up to find a partial invisibility. Step west to a ledge overlooking the blood pool behind the yellow door, which will raise a platform on the west side of the pool and allow you to reach a room behind it (cacodemons are present here on HMP or higher). Go up the northern staircase to find a backpack and a megasphere. (sector 94)
Two imps (Things 97 and 98) have no flags set for any of the three difficulty classes, so they do not actually appear in the level.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)
|Aleksey Kamenev (4shockblast)
The data was last verified in its entirety on January 13, 2022.
This level contains eleven spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 344)
- facing south. (thing 347)
- facing north. (thing 348)
- facing west. (thing 349)
- facing south-west. (thing 350)
- facing north. (thing 352)
- facing west. (thing 353)
- facing north-west. (thing 356)
- facing east. (thing 363)
- facing north. (thing 365)
- facing north-west. (thing 367)