MAP06: Trapped (Memento Mori II)
|Memento Mori II maps 01-10|
MAP06: Trapped is the sixth level of Memento Mori II. It was designed by Adam Williamson and uses the music track "Peaceful Altercation" by David "Tolwyn" Shaw. It contains a separate area for multiplayer competition.
- 1 Mission briefing
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 Sources
- 12 External links
According to both the text file and the Infopack:
- Alright, listen up marine. We sent some scouts into this next zone, but they didn't get very far. All but one had their cameras knocked out immediately, and that one managed to get one picture back before it lost the camera. The last transmission we got was...
- "...Darkish corridors. A few traps. Keycard. Returning to previously secured area. Using keycard...."
- The transmission cuts out for a few minutes.
- "Heading inside large building. Using lift. S**T! THE WALLS ARE OPENING!!!!"
- That is all we heard. It seems to indicate some large traps in operation in this area, so be on your guard! Good luck.
As the level name suggests, this level is full of difficult traps.
You begin in the center of a metal walkway in a large room. Depending on your skill level, you either only have four imps to deal with, or you are getting skewered on all sides by a pair of shotgun guys, a pair of chaingunners, and those four imps. Don't fall into the blood here, as there is no way out. Kill all the enemies in this starting room, and collect the health and ammo from the corners. Once ready, head out through the door in the west.
In this next outdoor area, the threats are fairly considerable - two shotgun guys, four chaingunners, two imps and two demons. You may also notice two blue-locked doors, which we will come back to later. Keep a good sense of your angles, and collect the medikit and armor in alcoves south and north of the central structure respectively if needed.
Once you have thinned out the enemies, head south to find a chainsaw and an open room to the north. You will hear a baron of Hell wake up. Do not enter the room first - instead, lure the spectre and imp on the floor out and kill them first. As you walk into this room, the door closes, and the pillar the baron is on lowers to the floor. If you have the guts, you can deal with it first. If not, flip the switches on the eastern and western walls (to re-open the door and open the next area) first.
Head back out into the outdoor area, then proceed north. Two new hallways will have appeared. Go through them into a darkened tunnel system. This tunnel system is full of traps that open behind you, and some shotgun guys patrol the halls. Your task in here is to flip three switches that will unblock the path to the next area:
- From the "doorway" where the two hallways meet, take a left at the first fork, then left again. As you walk into the light beam pointing east-west, turn around and brace for a trap with one (Hey, not too rough and below), two (Hurt me plenty) or four (Ultra-Violence and above) chaingunners. Flip the switch at the end of the corridor.
- From the "doorway" where the two hallways meet, take a right at the first fork, then go straight. As you approach the switch, a trap will open to your rear and left, with up to two spectres. Flip the switch at the end of the corridor.
- From the "doorway" where the two hallways meet, take a right at the first fork, then right again. As you approach the switch, a trap will open to your rear and left, with up to two spectres. Flip the switch at the end of the corridor.
Once you are done flipping these three switches, from the "doorway" where the two hallways meet, take a left at the first fork, then go straight. As the corridor turns northeast, brace for a small trap opening behind you with a shotgun guy. Continue forward down the corridor, clearing out any shotgun guys you see.
Along the way, you will see a thin strip of metal on the walls, and alert up to four imps in a hall ahead. This hall also contains the red key. Once you cross this strip of metal, quickly turn back and check for a Hell knight that is released nearby - you do not want it boxing you in while you deal with the imps and the next trap. When the Hell knight is dead, continue forward, deal with the imps, and pick up the red key. Picking up the red key triggers a nearby trap, releasing up to three spectres - which should not be too much of a problem.
Double back through the tunnels to the outdoor area. On Hurt me plenty and above, a baron of Hell has been released near the two entrances to this area - fight it in the outdoor area instead of in the tunnels.
With your red key, open the red door in the west of the outdoor area. You are now in a stone-walled outdoor area with a large central building. Some imps guard the floor, and on Hurt me plenty and above, a chaingunner is waiting for you. Kill them all, then head to the north side of this area and go up the stairs. You should see a doorway with a platform in the north, leading into a courtyard. Run into the courtyard and kill the shotgun guys in the courtyard (on Ultra-Violence and above, there are also chaingunners) while being wary of imp attacks from the windows.
Press use on the central metal structure, and it will lower to the floor. It is a teleporter. Step into it to be teleported to the corridor surrounding the courtyard. Deal with the imps there, then head to the northern side of the hallway and flip the skull switch. This opens two doors in the east and west of the walkway. Go through either door.
You are now on a walkway in a large darkened room. It is populated with a large number of assorted enemies, including up to sixteen zombiemen and two shotgun guys on the walkway. Of note are three platforms in the room with a good number of enemies. The west one has six imps, the north one has six shotgun guys, and the east one has a different enemy based on your skill level - a Hell knight on Hey, not too rough and lower, a revenant on Hurt me plenty, and a mancubus on Ultra-Violence and above. Deal with the enemies on the walkway, head down the stairs in the east to deal with the enemies on the floor, then go through the teleporter in the northeast of the room.
This will teleport you to the room before the courtyard, facing a newly-opened door. Kill up to two imps in the hallway ahead, then open the door at the end of the hallway. This leads to the northern bridge to the central building. Open the door in the central building, and enter the room ahead. Take care of the imp in this room. On higher difficulties, up to three cacodemons may become curious and head for you, so be wary. Flip the switch in the northwest of this room, then head out.
From the bridge, drop down to the west to enter a new area. Clear the floor of shotgun guys and the lone chaingunner in the west, then find the alcove in the south. It has a switch. Flip it, and the southern bridge to the central building will lower (mind the imps on alcoves in the face of the building). Ride the bridge up and open the door ahead. Flip the lion switch, and a platform will lower.
If you read the mission briefing in the infopack or text file, this should give you a serious sense of deja vu. The scout was killed when he went into a large building and used a "lift", and the walls began opening up. You are in a large building, and this is a "lift". Equip your heaviest weapon and prepare for a big trap.
Ride the platform up, and step to the east or west. The northeast, northwest, southeast and southwest walls of the building will open up, as well as four corresponding traps in the perimeter of this outdoor area, exposing you to a large amount of enemies. In total, you are caught between:
- Hey, not too rough and below: one chaingunner in the northwest, one chaingunner in the northeast, one incoming cacodemon.
- Hurt me plenty: Two chaingunners in the northwest, one mancubus in the northeast, one mancubus in the southwest, three incoming cacodemons.
- Ultra-Violence and above: Three chaingunners in the northwest, one revenant in the northeast, one mancubus in the southwest, three incoming cacodemons and two incoming pain elementals.
Get out of the building by leaping out the northwest or southwest windows, or exit to a bridge and jump off to the western side. Look for a new alcove in the west, which contains a teleporter. Use it to be taken to the northwestern trap, then take the teleporter in the northwestern trap.
You will be teleported to a new room. Kill the two imps next to you. Go through the corridor ahead and open the door. You will now be in a large room with up to three imps. As you walk further into the room, the northeast corner will lower, revealing up to three chaingunners. Fire at them, and northern wall opens too, revealing up to three cacodemons.
Collecting the blue key is slightly different between single-player and co-op, due to an obstacle that only appears on co-op blocking a switch:
- Single Player: Flip the switch in the cacodemon trap. This opens the metal pillar in the south of the room, revealing the blue key. Collect the blue key.
- Co-op: One player must backtrack to the area where the red key was collected, and look for a switch opposite a window (the window looks into the blue key room). Flipping this switch also opens the metal pillar in the south of the room, revealing the blue key. The other player can then collect the blue key.
Backtrack to the teleporter to be teleported back to the northwest trap.
Yellow Key and Exit
Return to the outdoor area just east of the starting room. Head into either blue door. This room contains the yellow key. However, as you pick it up, numerous walls in the area vanish, revealing a substantial horde of enemies - including a Hell knight and a revenant. With the increased space you have, provoke monster infighting and let them finish each other off.
Now, return to the courtyard, jump into the teleporter, and go back to the large darkened room. The yellow door in the east can now be opened. Open it, and you will see a long corridor. Run through it and open the door at the end. When you reach the end, alcoves along the corridor will open, releasing up to eight shotgun guys - you want to be out of that corridor before they box you in.
This next big room contains some serious opposition too - a pair of Hell knights in cages, six imps and up to four chaingunners. Walk onto the wooden walkway running north-south and a part of the northern wall opens, releasing up to three barons of Hell into the fray. Deal with them all, then go into the room where the barons came from. Flip the switch on the east wall.
This opens a door in the east of the big room. Your final opposition is a pain elemental, some imps and up to two chaingunners. Head down the steps, and jump into the hole in the floor to exit the level.
Other points of interest
To achieve 100% kills, you have to go to the optional area beyond the red key hall. This next area terminates at a balcony overlooking the penultimate room, and has a number of difficult traps:
- Continue forward. As you enter the light beam, a trap opens to the right, with up to two chaingunners (none on Hey, not too rough and below)
- Open the door in the north, which leads to a bright hall. As you proceed forward, a drop trap will activate, sandwiching you between two spectres and two chaingunners.
- Continue north. As you step into the metal-floored area, a trap opens to your left, with up to two demons.
- Open the door in the north. This is the balcony overlooking the penultimate room. It is easier to pick off the two Hell knights in cages from here. There is also a box of ammo for your efforts.
- In the southern area of the level, a portion of the eastern wall east of the chainsaw has its metal panels situated differently than the rest. Open this wall to reveal a super shotgun and a box of shotgun shells (sector 183).
- In the metal hall leading to the balcony overlooking the final area with bloody floor and checkerboard patterned walkways, shoot the wall with the lightning bolt on it to open a compartment (sector 112) containing a blue armor.
- In the eastern stairway (the first one after the red door) in the southwest area of the level, open the portion of wall (sector 205) between the two sets of shells to find a box of shells and a soul sphere.
- The eastern compartment (sector 172) near the southern elevator in the southwest area of the level counts as a secret. There you find two imps and a set of shells. You can reach it by jumping down to it from the elevator.
- The western compartment (sector 174) near the southern elevator in the southwest area of the level counts as a secret. As in secret #4, there are two imps and a set of shells. You can reach it by straferunning onto it from the elevator.
- In the southwest area of the level, the inner sides of the eastern elevator (linedefs 1038 and 1040) do not have lower textures, leading to Hall of mirrors effects when the elevator is lowered.
- In the southwest area of the level, the green, northeast walls (linedefs 975 and 1061) are marked as both upper and lower unpegged, leading to the textures not moving when this wall opens, unlike the other three walls that open in this area.
- Weapons per the table below, placed in the deathmatch arena, cannot be reached in single-player or coop game mode, but are not flagged as multiplayer only.
- On hard skill levels, two sergeants (things 288 and 290) are stuck in each other and unable to move.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The only switch you need to flip in the dark maze is the easternmost one. This will open the two southernmost bars, giving enough room for you to walk through.
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||02:10||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2018-12-07||m206-210.zip|
|NM speed||07:33||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2010-01-04||m206n733.zip|
|UV Tyson||31:51||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2019-05-01||m2063151.zip|
|UV pacifist||15:52||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2018-12-10||m2061552.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 4, 2020.
This level includes its own, separate deathmatch arena.
This arena contains seven spawn points:
- facing north-west. (thing 387)
- facing east. (thing 388)
- facing west. (thing 389)
- facing north-west. (thing 390)
- facing south-east. (thing 391)
- facing south. (thing 392)
- facing north. (thing 393)