MAP07: Computer Station (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|All Jaguar-based ports|
MAP07: Computer Station is the seventh level of most console versions of Doom, based on the original E1M7: Computer Station with modifications made to adapt to the consoles' limitations. The author of the conversion is American McGee, and the original author of the map is John Romero. The map first appeared on the Atari Jaguar, and was later ported to the 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Boy Advance, Sony PlayStation, and Sega Saturn.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
From the start, go through the door in front of you and turn left. Turn right at the end of the corridor and walk forward until you reach a small room with gray and yellow panels. Approach the lift in the south-east corner and it will lower automatically; when it rises, follow the walkway round into a dark room containing the yellow keycard.
Drop down to the ground and head north-east to a yellow door. Go through it, turn left and head around the raised platform in the next room. Turn left at the end of the corridor and head up the staircase. The pillar in front of you will lower to reveal enemies - go around it and follow the right-hand path until you reach a door. Go through it to a room with a central pillar, and use the lift in the north-west corner. Take this up to a short corridor and you will find the red keycard at the end.
Blue key and exit
Backtrack to the very start of the level. From the starting room, go through the door and turn right and you will see the red door in front of you. Go through it and take the blue keycard sitting on the ground.
Go back through the red door and turn right, following the corridor until you reach another yellow door. Go through, turn right and go straight forward until you see the blue door on your left. Go through it, climb up the staircase and head straight forward. Follow the path until you reach a small alcove containing a switch for you to throw. Backtrack to the previous room and go through the door in the south-east corner which has now opened. Follow the narrow corridor through the exit door and throw the switch behind it to finish the level.
Other points of interest
On the path to the red keycard, you will enter a room with a pillar that lowers when approached; when you step on the pillar it will start to rise again. From here you can run over the north or south walls into the nukage pools on either side. This is required to get secrets #1 and #2 (see below) but also allows you to find other useful items.
- If you land on the north wall and look east, you will see a small alcove containing a computer area map. Walk carefully along the wall to reach it.
- After landing in the north pool, you will need to run north to get out. Your route will take you through an area with a low ceiling and a radiation shielding suit. There is a switch on the east wall; throw it and climb the staircase behind it to find two medikits and a box of rockets. There is another switch here which you can throw to reveal a chainsaw elsewhere in the level.
- The central nukage pool, which you pass through on your way to secret #1, contains a brown pillar with a megaarmor pickup hidden inside it.
From the area with the moving pillar, you can go west through a door and up a lift into a dark room containing a box of bullets and a box of shells. There is also a chainsaw hidden in the south-west pillar; if you threw the switch at the top of the hidden staircase mentioned above, the floor around the chainsaw will lower so you can take it.
- On the path to the red keycard, you will enter a room with a pillar that lowers when approached; when you step on the pillar it will start to rise again. As the pillar rises, run north over the wall into a nukage pool. Run north (the nukage is harmful) until you reach a small platform with a soulsphere. As you step onto this platform (sector 144), a hidden door opens to your right, providing a shortcut back to the beginning of the level.
- As the aforementioned pillar rises, run south to land in the southern nukage pool instead. By the wall you just leapt over, you will find a thin concrete platform containing a chaingun, two boxes of bullets, a box of shells and a medikit. (sector 87) This platform also adjoins a narrow passage leading to a backpack. As you reach the backpack, a hidden door opens to your left, returning you to the curved staircase.
- Taking the blue keycard opens several alcoves containing monsters, one of which can be found south of the raised platform behind the yellow doors. This alcove contains a secret door indicated by an orange texture. This reveals a passageway (sector 42) leading to a large outdoor area with a soulsphere.
Four barrels (things 96, 97, 98, and 163) have no flags set for any of the three difficulty classes, so they do not actually appear in the level. This issue is inherited from the original version of the level.
Comparison of versions
As well as geometry simplification in various rooms, a number of changes were made to this level compared with the PC version.
- Staircases have fewer steps, like most levels in the console releases.
- All switches use a knife switch on brown wall texture (SW1BRN1).
- Two tall techno pillars and a candelabra were removed.
- All but five floor lamps were removed - one on the raised platform behind the yellow doors, two by the window east of the blue door, and two either side of the exit switch.
- The center pillar was removed from the raised platform behind the yellow doors. A "border" sector was also added around the platform.
- The hidden staircase in the central nukage pool is not flagged as a secret. This is probably a side-effect of merging the steps together.
- A void space dividing the corridor on the west side of the level was removed.
- The windows in the exit room were removed.
- The spectre in front of the staircase north of the starting room is replaced with a nightmare spectre.
- A demon that appears in the passage leading to the red keycard on Ultra Violence skill level (UV) is replaced with a nightmare spectre.
- A revenant appears in the corridor on the west side of the level on UV.
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"Sinister"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"Demons on the Prey"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"Demons on the Prey"||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"Sign of Evil"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"Mind Massacre"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"Mind Massacre"||Aubrey Hodges|
This level contains ten spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 270)
- facing west. (thing 271)
- facing south-east. (thing 272)
- facing east. (thing 273)
- facing north. (thing 274)
- facing south. (thing 275)
- facing east. (thing 276)
- facing south. (thing 277)
- facing north-west. (thing 278)
- facing east. (thing 279)
Inspiration and development
|Console Doom levels - Sega 32X|
|Phobos:||MAP01: Hangar • MAP02: Plant • MAP03: Toxin Refinery • MAP04: Command Control • MAP05: Phobos Lab • MAP06: Central Processing • MAP07: Computer Station • MAP08: Phobos Anomaly|
|Deimos:||MAP09: Deimos Anomaly • MAP10: Containment Area • MAP11: Refinery • MAP12: Deimos Lab • MAP13: Command Center • MAP14: Halls of the Damned • MAP15: Spawning Vats|
|Secret levels:||MAP24: Military Base|