MAP07: Metal Mothers (BTSX-E1)
|Back to Saturn X E1 maps 01-08|
MAP07: Metal Mothers is the seventh level of the first episode of Back to Saturn X. It was designed by Björn Ostmann (Vader), and uses the music track "Conductor" by James Paddock. The par time is 2:00. In the official add-on version, this level's name is Arachnobeliever.
On I'm Too Young To Die (ITYTD) and Hey Not Too Rough (HNTR) skill levels, a super shotgun is placed in front of you as the map starts. Open the door on your right (south) and dispatch a demon waiting behind it, then ride the lift behind the door down to a ledge that you can follow west and north, collecting health and armor bonuses as you go, to find another super shotgun on all skill levels. Drop to the floor below and follow the corridor north past numerous zombies until you get to the north side of the map, where one or two arachnotrons are waiting, then approach the nearby lift to lower it and ride it up to a green-tiled hallway (there is a BFG9000 on your left on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP), or a chaingun on other skill levels). Follow the hallway east up two sets of steps, step through the bars that open ahead and press the green switch behind them; this will open a nearby wall leading to the blue keycard. Use caution on HMP or higher, as a spiderdemon will be waiting on the opposite ledge.
Drop to the floor below, which will release arachnotrons from a compartment in the south-west corner, then open the blue key door next to this compartment and turn left to climb some stairs blocked by another arachnotron. At the top, make a right and two lefts to find a switch and press it, then go back to the bottom of the staircase and kill any imps and revenants that teleport in; after doing so, look left to see that platforms have risen leading to a ledge on the opposite side with more revenants. Follow the ledge north to another pair of platforms and step across them to a lift, ride it up to a plasma gun then press the switch here to open the walls on either side and reach the ledge with the red key. There will also be a megaarmor here on ITYTD and HNTR, or a supercharge on HMP.
Drop to the floor, ready to kill a spiderdemon that is released from a compartment in the south wall, then go up the steps next to it to reach a large courtyard where two or three more spiderdemons have teleported in. Cross the courtyard to reach a red key door in the south-east corner, then open it to find a chaingunner (revenant on HMP or higher) guarding the exit button.
Other points of interest
- At the south-western corner of the map, straferun from the walkway with health bonuses to a rock ledge with a backpack and a dead cacodemon on it (the backpack only appears on HMP or lower). There is a passageway here, leading to an arachnotron and a door. (sector 430) Approaching the door releases revenants behind you, but opening it will reveal a megasphere (or a BFG9000 on Ultra-Violence (UV) and Nightmare (NM)).
- Halfway along the corridor on the west side of the map is a cavern with two or three arachnotrons and a plasma gun. Behind the crates next to the plasma gun is a hole in the wall; kill the mancubus you can see through it to lower the nearby wall, then step past that wall to get a computer area map. (sector 841) The nearby teleporter will take you to a partial invisibility, above the courtyard near the starting point.
- In the northern-most room with the super shotgun, look at the south wall to see that one of the panels has a vertical line running through it. Press this wall to reveal two energy cells. (sector 852)
- Halfway up the first staircase leading to the blue key, use the north wall to lower it. The lift behind this wall leads up to revenants, health bonuses and a backpack. (sector 514)
- The bottom step of the staircase north of the courtyard near the starting point triggers a lift adjacent to the top of the staircase to lower. This lift, among other things, includes a supercharge. (sector 276)
- After getting the red key, return to the starting room to find energy cells and an armor. (sector 80)
Areas / screenshots
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV max||5:56.57||Guanlan Chen (GarrettChan)||2017-06-26||b107-556.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on June 3, 2022.
This level contains sixteen spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 137)
- facing north. (thing 256)
- facing south-east. (thing 257)
- facing west. (thing 258)
- facing south. (thing 264)
- facing south-west. (thing 266)
- facing south-east. (thing 267)
- facing south-east. (thing 269)
- facing east. (thing 282)
- facing east. (thing 283)
- facing west. (thing 284)
- facing north-west. (thing 285)
- facing west. (thing 286)
- facing north. (thing 287)
- facing north-east. (thing 288)
- facing north. (thing 674)