MAP07 (Dystopia 3)
|Dystopia 3 maps|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
MAP07 is where Dystopia 3 begins to show more teeth. With tight passages, setpieces that spell virtually certain death for the unprepared and an ending sequence reminiscent of a Cyberdreams level, the difficulty of this map is significantly higher than any of the preceding maps.
Start and Blue Key
Doomguy has landed his spaceship properly this time. Unfortunately, you begin surrounded by zombiemen, shotgun guys, imps, demons and one chaingunner (not on Hey, not too rough and below). Grab the armor and shotgun, then proceed to clear out the enemies. You can get a super shotgun and a chaingun by checking the areas between the engines and the body of the spaceship. Once loaded up, equip the super shotgun and head into the tunnel in the north.
As you turn the corner, you will encounter a revenant (imp on Hey, not too rough and below). You will emerge into a silver building. Behind the windows in the distance are up to four chaingunners. To the right of the doorway into the building is a mancubus (cacodemon on Hey, not too rough and below). See if you can cause some monster infighting, which will save you much pain. Head into the silver building and mind the imps on the raised area to the east. As you descend the staircase, watch for a chaingunner in the corner, then a mancubus in the northeast of the room (both not present on Hey, not too rough and below). Lower the elevator ahead. On Hurt me plenty, watch for the demon on it; on Ultra-Violence and above, a spectre is on it instead. terminate it with your super shotgun, and ride it up to the raised area where the imps were.
Open the door to the west. Kill the mancubus (cacodemon on Hey, not too rough and below) right ahead. Collect the rocket launcher and armor, head down the steps and go out the door to enter a large outdoor area. As you step into the outdoor area, you will come under fire from a revenant next to the door and a mancubus behind a fence to the north (both imps on Hey, not too rough and below). Heading south, you will have to deal with fire from imps and an arachnotron (two on Ultra-Violence and above) in the ornate brown building to the south. As you head south towards the slime river, another revenant will attack you (imp on Hey, not too rough and below).
Clear the imps out and get into the ornate brown building. Kill the mancubus past the second archway, then head around into the darker part of the building. In this narrow passage, you have to fend off a Hell knight (demon on Hey, not too rough and below). Using monster infighting, you can let an arachnotron do the work for you. Kill the arachnotron (two on Ultra-Violence and above), then collect the blue key, a plasma gun and a much-needed soulsphere.
Head back out into the outdoor area and go to the gate in the north. On either side of each gate is a switch. The first time you use these switches, you need to press them twice to lower the gate (once to remove a miniature blue door that looks like the switch, the next to actually use the switch). Head north and watch for an arachnotron and a revenant (two of each on Ultra-Violence and above), as well as cacodemons behind the windows in the building ahead. This next building is full of traps, with a particularly devious one right at the front door. Follow these steps carefully to grab the key and escape unscathed:
- Clear out the cacodemons from behind the windows.
- Approach the door cautiously. At some point, a set of spikes (which is a thin crushing ceiling) will begin lowering and raising.
- From behind the spikes, open the door ahead. A baron of Hell (Hell knight on Hey, not too rough and below) will be awakened. Lure it forward into the spikes.
- Time your run through to enter the main building.
- Spikes also guard the entrance to the rooms to the left and the right. Time your entrance, run into one room and flip the switch next to the doorway.
- Half the bars in the main corridor are removed. Deal with the mancubus (imp on Hey, not too rough and below) quickly.
- Time your entrance, run into the other room and flip the switch next to the doorway.
- Return to the main corridor and run forward towards the "throne" ahead. Two doors will open in the middle of the corridor, revealing cages with cyberdemons (barons of Hell on Hey, not too rough and below).
- Kill the imps near the throne. On Ultra-Violence and above, two are in ambush positions to the left and right.
- Grab the yellow key.
- Go around to the back of the throne to find a switch. Flip this switch to activate crushers that will quickly kill the cyberdemons for you.
- Exit this building, and mind the spikes at the entrance!
Go east and raise the yellow bars. Kill the monster ahead (shotgun guy on Hey, not too rough and below, chaingunner on Hurt me plenty, arachnotron on Ultra-Violence and above). Head into the nearby tunnel and kill up to three spectres that rush for you. This leads into another grey building with another tough entrance fight: a revenant dead ahead, with another one round the next corner on Ultra-Violence and above, a chaingunner or two ahead and a Hell knight (imp on Hey, not too rough and below) in a corner platform. Carefully kill them all and head down the steps to confront up to four imps and a cacodemon (not on Hey, not too rough and below). On the ground floor, you will confront a mancubus and an arachnotron (not on Hey, not too rough and below), as well as some shotgun guys behind windows ahead. See if you can cause even more infighting and save ammo.
Go through the thin grey door and kill any chaingunners ahead. Head up the stairs and deal with the mancubus (imp on Hey, not too rough and below) at the corner. This next darker corridor has up to eight imps and a mancubus. Feel free to dump your plasma cells here. First, head onto the right (raised) half of the corridor, open the door and grab the red key. Next, head down the steps and open the red door. This leads to the tiny corner platform you saw earlier. Open the other door, pull out your plasma gun or chaingun and mow down the shotgun guys in here. Head east, open the big brown door and kill up to four cacodemons behind it. Grab the soulsphere and flip the switch.
This switch opens up access to the final stretch of the level, but also opens up a couple of traps. You now have to backtrack quite a bit to the bottom of the first set of steps in this building. In order, you will encounter the following traps:
- After the corner platform: up to three imps.
- Just before the thin grey door: one demon (Hey, not too rough and below), two demons (Hurt me plenty), or a mancubus (Ultra-Violence and above).
- In front of the first set of steps: One mancubus.
Head into this last trap and flip the switch. This raises you to a platform with an arachnotron and reveals a shortcut back to the first building of the level.
Head out of the first building again. The bars directly in front of the doorway (marked "exit") have lowered. Head through it to find a passage with a number of tough monsters. At the end is a stucco building with a baron of Hell (Hell knight on Hey, not too rough and lower). Head into the building and notice a hole in the corner. Pull out your plasma gun, drop in and hold down the fire button - you are dropped into a small room with up to five cacodemons. Kill them and head into the tunnel ahead, with a revenant leading up to six spectres.
This last stretch of the level is a bit where you'll have to take out a cyberdemon not with weapons, but with tactics. In this next arena, you face a cyberdemon (baron of Hell on Hey, not too rough and below) who will teleport around the eight alcoves in the raised part of the arena. Your task is to flip the eight switches in the arena, one of which raises a staircase while the other seven lower brown walls at the edge of the arena. You then need to head up the staircase, run around the edge of the raised part, and escape through the passageway in the southeast - all while dodging rocket fire. While speed will help you flip all eight switches, you may need to be a bit more cautious when doing the run around the raised part - the cyberdemon can teleport into alcoves ahead of you and kill you when you cross its line of sight.
Once you have gotten to the doorway, collect a soulsphere and kill up to three arachnotrons in the hall ahead. Head through the wooden door into a red room with up to three revenants. The cyberdemon you dodged just now has teleported onto a pedestal in the outdoor area east of this room. Head to the east side of the central structure (be wary of rockets!) and flip the switch to crush the cyberdemon.
In the final outdoor area, a mancubus lies in wait (two on Ultra-Violence and above). As you head towards the alcove in the east with the exit signs, a trap will activate in the north and south; each contains a cacodemon (Hey, not too rough and below), a Hell knight (Hurt me plenty), or a mancubus (Ultra-Violence and above). Flip the switch in the alcove to exit the level.
Other points of interest
- In the room with the cacodemons (after the long drop from the stucco building), a part of the west wall has grills on it. You can lower it to reveal a cacodemon (Hey, not too rough and below) or a pain elemental (Hurt me plenty and above), as well as a megasphere.
- Left of the exit switch is a portion of the wall flanked by metal bars. You can open this to reveal a teleporter that takes you back to the stucco building, before the drop into the cacodemon room.
- In the northeast of the first building you enter, there is a bright arrow pointing to a misaligned section of the northern wall. Open it to gain access to a passageway with a box of shells, then ride the platform down to gain access to a megaarmor. The door sector counts as the secret. (sector 119)
- At the end of the passageway mentioned in secret #1 is a slanted wall with a lightning bolt symbol. Use it and it will open, allowing another route of access to the courtyard in the north of the map. The door sector counts as a secret. This door can also be opened from the courtyard side, but it is completely unmarked. (sector 116)
- After exiting the first building, you will enter a large outdoor area with a slime river. Drop into the hole at the east end of the slime river, then flip the switch inside. This lowers the rest of the slime river. Quickly run to the western end of the slime river to find a hidden cave with a megasphere and a teleporter back to the surface. (sector 97)
Areas / screenshots
The cyberdemon trap
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 15)
- facing south. (thing 109)
- facing east. (thing 114)
- facing west. (thing 115)
- facing east. (thing 117)
- facing north-west. (thing 282)
- facing east. (thing 284)
- facing west. (thing 287)
Simulated keyed switches
In the west of the level, there is a pair of switches that are used to lower a fence, allowing access to and from the north part of the level. These switches appear to require the blue key to be usable, but lift actions cannot be used with locks in vanilla Doom. The solution is that the first switches seen are not the real switch - they are thin overlays with the same switch texture, which serve as a tiny blue key-locked door concealing the real switch. When the player uses each "switch" with the blue key, the overlay sector opens up, revealing the real switch to lower the fence. The only disadvantage with this simulation is that the player must press the "switch" twice to proceed.