MAP08: Gateway (1000 Line Community Project)
|1000 Line CP maps|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Collect the shotgun in front of you then head south-west and south round a fiery building to find some steps going down; descend the staircase and head east until you walk between the wood and vine-covered buildings in this area. Turn right to see some square stone columns and go to the southern-most column to find a button that will open the metal door behind you. Kill the demon and imps waiting behind the door then go through to a chamber containing a super shotgun, shotgun shells and the yellow skull key. Taking the key will close the entrance to the room and lower the surrounding wall to reveal imps (plus spectres on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) skill level or higher); press the skull switch in the north-west corner to open the door blocking the room entrance so you can escape.
Go back to the start point and look north-east to find an exit door requiring the yellow key; open it and kill the waiting imps or Hell knight then step on the white teleporter to reach a small arena with marble blocks. Collect the super shotgun, boxes of shotgun shells and megasphere (or invulnerability on I'm Too Young To Die (ITYTD) and Hey Not Too Rough (HNTR)) before heading down the steps, as three teleporter pads will lower and start producing various monsters, mainly imps but also revenants, knights and multiple arch-viles - use the brick walls at the edges of the arena as cover while fighting them. The column in the middle of the arena will eventually lower to reveal a white teleporter, which you can step on to finish the level.
Other points of interest
The blue skull key appears in a different location on each skill level, although finding it is not required to finish the level.
- On ITYTD and HNTR, head straight forward from the start to a fiery building and enter the doorway in front of you. You will be teleported to a room containing some imps (plus a chaingunner on Ultra-Violence (UV) and Nightmare (NM), or a zombieman and chaingun on lower skill levels); head through the metal doorway on your left to find one or more demons guarding the blue key.
- On HMP, head towards the fire doorway in front of you at the start but do not go through it - instead, look north to see a doorway in the brick building and go through it to confront a demon (or cacodemon on HMP or higher). Turn right at this point to see the blue key being guarded by some zombies.
- On UV and NM, head north-east from the start until you pass an exit door then continue east down some large steps. At the bottom of the steps turn right to see the blue key next to a berserk pack; approaching the items will cause some demons to teleport in behind you.
On HMP, a chainsaw appears in the location that the blue key occupies on ITYTD and HNTR. On other skill levels, the chainsaw is moved to the blue key's location on HMP.
With both keys, go to the wooden structure north of the yellow key building and look at its east side to find a blue key door. Open the door and kill any waiting enemies then press the button in this room to lower a nearby lift, which you can ride up to find a rocket launcher (or invulnerability on UV and NM) next to a teleporter that will send you to the exit door.
- Enter the building at the north end and head south. Shoot at the terminal to raise it, which allows you to jump west to the computer area map. (sector 67) You can also lower the terminal holding the computer map by pressing on its north-west side.
- Enter the lava by the yellow key building and go all the way to the end to get a megasphere. (sector 35)
- Grabbing the yellow key reveals monsters behind the north wall. A small passage is in the north-east corner; follow this passage to find an armor then walk through the false wall behind it to find a large teleporter. Instead of stepping on the teleporter, enter a second passage in the south-east corner to find two energy cell packs and a megaarmor. (sector 110)
- Step on the teleporter mentioned in secret #3 to get a plasma gun. (sector 59)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.