MAP08: Minos (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
Master Levels episode
MAP08: Minos is the eighth level of PlayStation Final Doom, and the eighth level of the Master Levels. It is based on the PC version of MAP05: Minos' Judgement from the Master Levels for Doom II, with modifications to accommodate the PlayStation's framerate and memory limitations and add enhancements such as colored lighting. It uses the music track "Demon Drone".
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
Take the shotgun in front of you if needed and exit the room through the south-east door. Head east through another door, then go east up a staircase to a blue door. When you reach this door, turn right and press use on the white wall in front of you to open a door to an outdoor area. Run south to the platform holding the blue keycard and take it.
Backtrack to the hallway south-east of the starting room and go south through a blue door. Climb to the top of the staircase, then turn round and jump to the ledge in the north-east corner. This will open an alcove containing various monsters - kill them and take the red keycard from inside the alcove.
Drop to the ground floor and go north through the blue door, then follow the hallway north and east through a door you opened earlier. In this room, go through the red door on the east wall to an outdoor area with numerous monsters. Climb the staircases on the central structure and take the yellow keycard in the center.
Return to the room where you found the red keycard. Climb down the east or west staircases and through the blue doors at the bottom, then follow the corridors south and west/east until you reach a room sealed by yellow skull bars. Open them and press the switch on the south wall to reveal the exit teleporter. Step on it to finish the level.
Other points of interest
- From the start, walk up either staircase in front of you and enter the doors in the north walls. Go down the stairs and open the barriers at the bottom by pressing use on them. As you approach the super shotgun and two boxes of shells by the south wall, the lights will turn off and an alcove containing several imps and lost souls will open. Kill them and enter this alcove (sector 54) to get a berserk pack, a backpack and armor.
- From the starting room, go through the south-east door to a hallway and press the gargoyle switch on the west wall to reveal an alcove with a teleporter. Enter it and you will arrive in a room to the west, which has a raised platform holding a soulsphere and an imp. Press the switch on the platform's north side to lower it, then step on the platform and wait for it to rise. Jump south to a ledge and open the metal wall inside it to reveal an alcove containing a BFG9000 on Ultra Violence skill level (UV), and nothing at all on other skill levels. (sector 181) Watch out for the crusher as you return to the previous area, as well as the monsters that have appeared.
- After getting the blue keycard, drop into the nukage and head north-west to a narrow passage. Part of the south wall has slime on it; open this wall (sector 304), and follow the passage south to a room with four pillars. You can use the blue door here to get to the room with the red keycard.
- In the hall where the red door is located (east of the starting room), lower the lift in the west and step on it. When the lift rises, go north along the corridor and through the wooden door at the end. Press the gargoyle switch behind it to temporarily open a door at the end of the corridor you just went through. Pass through that wall (sector 103) and kill the imp and chaingunner in the room behind it.
One blue skull bar on blue door in the east side (lindef 115) has both an improper Y-offset and a lower unpegged flag rendering it invertedly. This is a remnant of the wall in the PC version where the engine draws it without issues.
Comparison of versions
Numerous changes were made to this level compared with the PC version.
- The windows are removed from the starting room and the hallway on the north side of the map.
- A room north-west of the red door, accessible from the hallway on the north side of the map, is removed.
- Two alcoves in the blue keycard area, holding a megasphere and radiation shielding suit, are removed. The megasphere is moved inside the nearby pillar (which lowers when the blue key is taken), and the radiation suit is moved to the south-east corner of the nukage pit.
- All switches use a gargoyle face on metal wall texture (SW1GARG).
- A dead player decoration, two green pillars and a ledge holding a pillar with beating heart are removed from the starting room.
- The room south-east of the starting room does not have a grate in its window. Two alcoves containing monsters have been removed, along with a hanging torso decoration.
- The hidden chamber due south of the starting room only has one teleport pad. Consequently, the room to the west only has one teleport pad as well.
- The small room due east of the starting room is smaller and does not contain any crates. Some barrels and monsters are also removed.
- Some skull shish kebob decorations are removed from the hallway on the north side of the map, along with two wooden columns on the west side of this hallway.
- Several changes are made in the area with the blue keycard:
- The nukage pit is noticeably smaller.
- A window above the north-east corner of the nukage pit is removed.
- There is only one pillar near the blue keycard rather than two, and the vine textures have been removed. The pillar lowers much faster when the keycard is taken, revealing two Hell knights on UV.
- A door and metal bars are removed from the hallway behind the blue door north of the blue keycard area.
- The rooms around the yellow keycard area only have one light each.
- The staircase in the room north of the exit area has fewer steps. The ledges either side of this staircase are moved closer to the top of the staircase.
- The structure with the yellow keycard is shorter, and the staircases leading up to the key have fewer steps.
- Different textures are used for the doors in the nukage corridors leading to the exit room. The light textures have also been removed from the ceilings.
- The yellow bars blocking access to the exit room use a yellow skull texture, and there are two bars on each door instead of three.
- Some walls around the lift in the exit room have been removed; on PC, these walls lower when a player steps on the elevator. On PlayStation, doing this instead causes a wall to lower, revealing a switch which lowers the lift when pressed.
- The switch to reveal the exit teleporter is placed on the south wall of the exit room. On PC, this switch is concealed inside the pillar that lowers when entering the room.
- Demons and spectres are replaced with lost souls.
- Mancubi and revenants are replaced with Hell knights.
- The baron of Hell near the soulsphere south-west of the starting area on UV is replaced with two Hell knights. On Hurt Me Plenty (HMP), the two imps here are replaced with one Hell knight.
- An imp (all skill levels), shotgun guy (HMP or higher) and chaingunner (UV) are removed from the hallway behind the blue door north of the blue keycard area.
- The arch-vile concealed in the pillar in the exit room on UV (or baron of Hell on lower skill levels) is replaced with two Hell knights. (Additionally, the knights do not become visible until a player enters the room. On PC, the monster can be seen immediately).
Areas / screenshots
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 104)
- facing south. (thing 225)
- facing south. (thing 227)
- facing north. (thing 229)
- facing north-west. (thing 230)
- facing north. (thing 279)