MAP08: Phobos Anomaly (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|All Jaguar-based ports|
MAP08: Phobos Anomaly is the eighth level of most console versions of Doom, based on the original E1M8: Phobos Anomaly with modifications made to adapt to consoles' limitations. The author of the conversion is American McGee, and the original authors of the map are Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen. The map first appeared in Atari Jaguar version, and is additionally used in the 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Boy Advance, Sony PlayStation, and Sega Saturn versions.
The map features two barons of Hell as bosses. A major difference from its PC version is that, rather than ending with the apparent death of the protagonist and serving as the end of the episode, play continues normally into the next level via a corrupted teleporter exit.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Other points of interest
- (sector 32)
Comparison of versions
As well as geometry simplification, the following changes were made to the console versions of this level:
- The slime pit at the start of the level is replaced with a raised platform, and the demons are replaced with zombiemen and shotgun guys. The lift leading to the pickups in the east chamber has also been removed.
- The supercharge powerup behind the hidden door at the southern staircase is replaced with megaarmor.
- After the barons are defeated, only the walls at the north point of the star will lower.
- The open area beyond the star has been significantly reduced in size and made rectangular.
- The exit teleporter and the staircase leading to it have been placed in an enclosed room. The teleporter also takes the player straight to MAP09: Deimos Anomaly with their inventory intact, rather than an inescapable ambush.
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"Nobody Told Me About id"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"Sign of Evil"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"Sign of Evil"||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"I Sawed The Demons"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"Mutation"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"Mutation"||Aubrey Hodges|
This level contains nine spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 59)
- facing south. (thing 60)
- facing south. (thing 61)
- facing north-east. (thing 62)
- facing north-west. (thing 63)
- facing west. (thing 64)
- facing east. (thing 65)
- facing west. (thing 66)
- facing south. (thing 67)
Inspiration and development
|Console Doom levels - Sega 32X|
|Phobos:||MAP01: Hangar • MAP02: Plant • MAP03: Toxin Refinery • MAP04: Command Control • MAP05: Phobos Lab • MAP06: Central Processing • MAP07: Computer Station • MAP08: Phobos Anomaly|
|Deimos:||MAP09: Deimos Anomaly • MAP10: Containment Area • MAP11: Refinery • MAP12: Deimos Lab • MAP13: Command Center • MAP14: Halls of the Damned • MAP15: Spawning Vats|
|Secret levels:||MAP24: Military Base|