MAP08: Quarantine (Doom 2 the Way id Did)
|Doom 2 the Way id Did maps 01-11
MAP08: Quarantine (also known as Starstruct, Inc. on the automap) is the eighth map of Doom 2 the Way id Did. It was designed by Chris Bourke and Richard Frei in the style of Sandy Petersen. The par time defined in the DEHACKED lump is 3:30.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Go through the western doorway in the starting room to drop down to a ledge, then drop down another level to land in a pit with several shotgun guys and zombiemen - on Ultra-Violence (UV) and Nightmare (NM) skill levels, the pit is also overlooked by two mancubi. Activate the lift at the west end of the pit (which has a berserk pack on it on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) or higher) and kill the demons waiting in the room above, then head south-east through a tan room and south through a corridor that leads to a nukage pool. The blue keycard is in this pool, and taking it will lower the surrounding wall to reveal a room behind it that contains chaingunners and cacodemons.
Enter the room behind the wall and press the gargoyle switch in the south-west corner, which will lower a wall in the south-east corner and release more chaingunners, then press a second gargoyle switch in that corner to raise the large wall again before going to the teleporter in the north-east corner to get back on top of the wall. Go round to the northern doorway and drop down to the ledge near the starting point, then go through the door at the north end of the ledge and kill some waiting zombies before opening the blue door in the north-west corner to enter a room with imps, cacodemons and lost souls; do not fall into the lava pit in this room as it is inescapable. Go through the northern doorway to enter a blue room and look north-west to see the yellow keycard ahead - as you approach it, the entrance will close, the room will darken and the floor will temporarily drop to reveal demons and imps, along with chaingunners on HMP or higher.
After dealing with the ambush, enter the northern closet (you can lower the floor again by walking through the center of the room) and flip the switch inside it to open the entrance again. Go back to the tan room, which you passed through on your way to the blue key, and open the yellow door here (it will close behind you) to enter a red octagonal room. Go past some imps to the south side and press the skull switch here to lower the block in the center of the room, kill an arch-vile that is released then take the red keycard it was guarding, which will also reopen the door so you can leave.
Go back to the room with the blue door and climb the curved staircase next to it, kill any waiting shotgun guys then continue east until you get to a junction. Enter the southern room, which will release shotgun guys and/or chaingunners behind you, then go through the eastern doorway and dispose of a pain elemental before heading south to a red door, dodging a slow crusher in the middle of the room as you do so. Open the door and press the button behind it to lower the east wall, revealing spectres (and arachnotrons on UV and NM), then open the exit door behind them and press the button ahead to finish the level.
Other points of interest
Go north-east as soon as the level starts to find a megaarmor.
After getting the blue key, return to the lift west of the pit and ride it up, then head north into a room with another blue door. Go through it then walk west to find a plasma gun.
- Head north-east and north from the start to enter the large room near the exit, then climb the steps at the south end - doing so opens a compartment to the east with spectres. Enter that compartment and press the gargoyle switch inside it, then climb the steps again to see that the west wall has lowered revealing a rocket launcher and three rockets. (sector 96)
- Go through the western doorway in the starting room and drop to the ledge below, then go through a second doorway at the south end of the ledge to reach a highly damaging lava pool. Cross the pool to get a chainsaw and stimpack. (sector 74)
- After getting the blue key and revealing the area to the east, enter the teleporter in that area to return to the floor above. Immediately face north and open the computer panel in front of you to get a computer area map. (sector 60)
- After raising the wall surrounding the blue key, teleport to the top of it then head round to the orange alcove at the north-west end. The north wall of this alcove is misaligned, and you can open it to find a backpack and megaarmor. (sector 69)
- Reaching the second gargoyle switch in the blue key area will lower a platform inside the pit west of the starting point, allowing you to jump to it from the neighboring ledge and get two piles of shotgun shells. (sector 4)
- After passing through the eastern blue door, open the south wall that has blood on the bottom of it to find health bonuses, armor bonuses, a box of rockets, a stimpack and an energy cell. (sector 139)
- Entering the yellow key room will lower two platforms holding demons and chaingunners in the room north-west of the starting point. Enter the eastern compartment and press the red button here to open a nearby door. Destroy the lost souls waiting behind it then climb some steps to get health bonuses and an energy cell pack. (sector 46)
- From secret #7, look east through two sets of open walls and shoot the lion switch visible through them before they shut to open it. Go round to the open door to get a megasphere and another energy cell pack. (sector 97)
- Enter the dark room north of secret #7 and go to its west end to find a gargoyle switch next to a radiation shielding suit, which will open a nukage maze. Go into the maze and head north then east, then follow the path to a crossroads and take the west path to find a cavern with a stimpack, a box of shotgun shells and another radiation suit. (sector 143)
- From secret #9, head as far east as you can. The path will make a U-turn and lead you to three stimpacks, another radiation suit and a BFG9000. (sector 77)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)
The data was last verified in its entirety on January 13, 2022.
This level contains nine spawn points:
- facing south-west. (thing 181)
- facing north-west. (thing 286)
- facing north. (thing 376)
- facing east. (thing 377)
- facing west. (thing 379)
- facing north. (thing 380)
- facing north. (thing 381)
- facing west. (thing 383)
- facing south-east. (thing 385)
Inspiration and development
- This map's automap name is that of a UAC contractor named in the Doom Bible, and the namesake of the STAR series of textures used in techbase levels.