MAP08: Quarantine (Doom 2 the Way id Did)
|Doom 2 the Way id Did maps 01-11|
MAP08: Quarantine (also known as Starstruct, Inc. on the automap) is the eighth map of Doom 2 the Way id Did. It was designed by Chris Bourke and Richard Frei in the style of Sandy Petersen and uses the music track "The Dave D. Taylor Blues". The par time is 3:50.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
In the start drop down to the western outside area (A). In the extreme west of the area use a lift to rise. In the room there are three alcove containing demons (B). Head to the south and go to the end of the corridor with computer panel atop. Enter the nukage pool area (E) and quickly take the blue keycard. The platform will lower. Use the northern corridor to escape.
In the outside area (A) if you have not fallen to the very ground yet, use the northern door, inside where, you open the blue door at the west. Otherwise, if you fallen down (A) use the lift again and in the corridor (B) and open the blue door at the north. Jump over through the lava pit if needed (C). There is no way to get out. At the north enter an alcove leading to a small blue room. There is a yellow key in the corner but if you cross the second half of the room, it will lower down revealing several alcoves that contain monsters and ammo. After all, when you possess the yellow key, leave this room and the lava outside area through the blue door.
Return to the tall outside area (A) and use the lift. In the corridor (B) head south and open the yellow door. In the red brick room head to the southern alcove where you press the skull switch. The platform in the middle contains the red key and an arch-vile. Leave this room.
Now, the fastest way is going through the two blue doors, through the lava pit area (C). When you open the last blue door that leads to the room with deep brown star walls, walk upstairs. Go forth and turn right or go south and turn left to find yourself in the blue room (D). Use the eastern way to enter a computer room. Beware the slow crusher above the some blood pools. Open the red door and press the switch to reveal the room with exit door. Enter the exit door and flip the switch for the ending.
Other points of interest
- When the platform lowers in the nukage room where the blue key is (E), use either of several alcoves at the bottom. In the south west of the room press the button to lower the platform with chaingunners at the south east. Visit this platform to reveal the secret. Go to the outside area (A) by dropping down from the top to the eastern border. At the northern end jump over to the cavity and take up the rocket launcher and two shotgun shells. (sector 4)
- After you have visited the yellow key room, the stand with one or two chaingunners will lower in the brown star texture room. In this room that is north to the secret #1, enter that platform now in the lowered state and press the button to open the wall nearby. Enter this opened wall, kill the lost souls and taking the health potions and bulk cell (sector 46) walk upstairs. Two doors will open. The second one is seen when you are on the last step of the staircase. It leads to secret #8.
- In the nukage area room with blue key (E), use the platform to get to the south western place with brown star textures. Press use on the computer panel. Pick up the computer area map. (sector 60)
- In the same area (E), use the platform to get to the north western place with brown star textures. Press use on the northern wall with another offset. Go through the closet to find yourself at the cavity with backpack and megaarmor. (sector 69)
- In the tall outside area (A) drop down on the eastern border and head to the south eastern alcove. Inside, you find the lava and a stimpack and a chainsaw. (sector 74)
- In the room with brown star textures near the blue door, walk upstairs and head to the northern alcove. Turn left and press the switch to reveal large maze-like area with nukage underfoot (F). Using the radiation suit go on the nukage to the very east of the maze. Enter the eastern closet with three stimpacks, BFG9000 and another radiation suit. (sector 77)
- In the blue room (D) near the beginning of the level, walk up the southern staircase, then return to the room and find that south eastern alcove containing spectres is opened. Kill them and enter this alcove and press the switch to reveal the secret. Walk up the stairs again and enter the room where you find three rockets and a rocket launcher. (sector 96)
- This one is accessed through the secret #2. When two walls are opened, head inside the eastern hollow. Take the megasphere and cell charge pack. (sector 97) To get out shoot the lion panel.
- In the lava place (C), at the lowest place, open the southern wall that is smeared with blood/lava. In the brick room, take seven health bonuses, four helmets, a box of rockets, one cell and a stimpack. (sector 139)
- In the nukage maze (F), find a closet at the very north containing a stimpack, box of shells and a radiation suit. (sector 143)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
This level contains nine spawn points:
- facing south-west. (thing 181)
- facing north-west. (thing 286)
- facing north. (thing 376)
- facing east. (thing 377)
- facing west. (thing 379)
- facing north. (thing 380)
- facing north. (thing 381)
- facing west. (thing 383)
- facing south-east. (thing 385)