MAP08: Stigmata (Memento Mori II)
|Memento Mori II maps 01-10|
MAP08: Stigmata is the eighth level of Memento Mori II. It was designed by Denis Möller and uses the music track "Unsteady Ground" by David "Tolwyn" Shaw. It contains a separate area for multiplayer competition.
- 1 Mission briefing
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 Sources
- 12 External links
According to both the text file and the Infopack:
- Civilians have reported that the hordes changed their Drinking Water Supply to a slime producing machine. The slime is now used to eliminate all human lifeform [sic] in this region. The civilians locked some of the doors to stop the demonic invasion, unfortunately it was too late.
- Your mission target: find the keys, kill all demons and stop the slime machine. Then find the way back to your mission control and report what you've found. Don't come back without deactivating the machine!
- Good luck.
Start and Red key Room
You begin in a small cave. Watch for the imps on the raised areas (On Ultra-Violence and above, you also have a revenant to look out for). Run to the platform in the southeast (the slime is damaging) and ride it up. Head east into a corridor and kill any shotgun guys you see. Through a barred window, you should also be able to see a pillbox with up to four imps.
This pillbox is a distraction from the real trap - as you cross the halfway point of the corridor, a shotgun guy (and on Hurt me plenty and above, a chaingunner, will suddenly appear to your right. Kill them as they appear, then use the wall dividing you from them to lower it. This gives you access to a super shotgun, a box of ammo and a stimpack. Continue to the end of the corridor and take the southern door.
This next cave-like area is teeming with imps. You have to deal with imps on the catwalk, imps on a platform as the catwalk turns a corner, and imps in a pillbox. The pillbox contains an arachnotron or two, and at least one is positioned to be able to fire out of the pillbox. If you have your rocket launcher, it is a good time to use it. Continue along the catwalk until you see a platform in the floor, and step on it.
This platform takes you down to a new room with a red door. The red key is on a pedestal, out of reach. This room contains a trap-filled sequence to get the red key:
- Clear the imp cage in the south wall.
- Step onto the wooden floor next to the red key. Walls nearby will lower, unleashing a horde of former humans (and up to two imps).
- Go through either of the two doorways in the corner. Clear out the demons and imps.
- Head north up the stairs, and clear out the imps.
- Pick up the stimpack ahead. The floor will lower you into a new area. Beware of up to three chaingunners ahead.
- Flip the switch on the south wall to lower a bank of computers, allowing you to return to the main room.
- The red key pedestal will have lowered to the ground. Pick up the red key, and exit through the red door.
You are now on the bottom floor of the cave-like area. Proceed north, murdering imps along the way. Find the staircase in the northeast of this area and head up it to a red door.
Beyond this red door is the area behind the "pillboxes" you saw earlier. You have imps, an arachnotron and on Hurt me plenty and above, a chaingunner or two. Mow everything down, proceed through the half-opened door to a large hall. Find the small door in the southeast and open it. Behind it are radiation suits - grab one.
Next, open the big door in the east. Drop down to a slime pit with imps. Head into the alcove with the yellow key. As you approach the yellow key, the walls nearby open up, revealing even more imps (and a shotgun guy on Ultra-Violence and above). Back up and dispose of them as they try to leave the alcove.
Ride the platform in the west back up, and open the door to return to the large hall from earlier.
Head through the green-coloured door in the south. This next area has some spectres, a Hell knight and a baron of Hell (another Hell knight on Hey, not too rough and below). The slime machine is Try not to step on the medikit on the square platform with steps leading to it - it drops you into an area with imps and a lot of barrels - not a good place to be. Go all the way south and find the big yellow door.
The area beyond this yellow door is teeming with former humans of all sorts. Clear them out, head up the steps and flip the switch. This stops the slime machine, as demanded of you... but starts a large ambush in motion. When you leave via the yellow door, you will be wedged in behind four demons and a large number of former humans. Clear the latter out with a rocket launcher (if available), then turn around and deal with the demons as they come.
Head up the steps in the west. As you head up these stairs, you will encounter even more former humans. Two traps will also be triggered:
- Behind where the demons came from earlier, a wall lowers. It contains up to two zombiemen, two imps and two revenants.
- A teleport trap activates. This teleports up to 15 zombiemen and six cacodemons into random spots in this final area.
Continue up the stairs, and lower the exit platform. Behind the exit platform is one last horde of enemies - a well-placed rocket should do them in. Ride the exit platform up to a switch. Flip the switch to exit the level.
Other points of interest
- Enter the northern and smaller of the two visibly yellow doors to reach the platform east of the power switch for the slime machine. There is a section of wall with an inverted cross and a pentagram drawn with blood. Open this wall to find two troopers on easy, sergeants on medium or chaingunners on hard skill levels, two stimpacks and a rocket launcher (sector 345).
- After opening the path to the exit by using the switch mentioned in secret #1 and exiting the switch room, walk westwards. There is a lit section of the northern wall with a vertical strip of metal on it just before the stairs. Open it to find a compartment (sector 297) containing a barrel, four clips, four shotguns and four stimpacks.
Coop players note: Opening this secret requires the possession of the yellow key.
- After gotten ambushed by approaching the yellow key, open the western part of this cave's northern wall to reveal a passage up to the green armor.
- Linedefs 197 and 229 do not possess middle textures, resulting in Hall of mirrors effects plainly visible when the player looks out of the window from the first hallway in the level.
- Entering sector 338 (the one which contains a super shotgun, a stimpack and a box of bullets) without triggering linedef 1588 (Type 130 - W1 Floor Raise to Next Higher Floor (fast), Tag 23) first (raising that sector) causes the player to fall into an inescapable pit.
- Weapons per the table below, placed in the deathmatch arena, cannot be reached in single-player or coop game mode, but are not flagged as multiplayer only.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
Current Compet-n records
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:28||Eugene Kapustin||2007-04-22||m208-128.zip|
|NM speed||03:57||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-12-22||m208n357.zip|
|UV max||05:04||Eugene Kapustin||2005-09-05||m208-504.zip|
|NM100S||03:57||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-12-22||m208n357.zip|
|UV -fast||06:46||Eugene Kapustin||2007-05-18||m208f646.zip|
|UV -respawn||04:09||Eric Baker (The Green Herring)||2009-08-20||m208r409.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 4, 2020.
Current DSDA records
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||1:28.06||Eugene Kapustin||2007-04-22||m208-128.zip|
|UV max||4:40.54||Laszlo Gere (Slade)||2013-04-30||m208-440.zip|
|UV -fast||6:46.63||Eugene Kapustin||2007-05-18||m208f646.zip|
|UV -respawn||4:09.09||Eric Baker (The Green Herring)||2009-08-20||m208r409.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on August 1, 2022.
This level includes its own, separate deathmatch arena.
This arena contains five spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 467)
- facing north. (thing 468)
- facing north. (thing 469)
- facing east. (thing 470)
- facing north-west. (thing 471)