MAP08: The Core Complex (32 in 24)
|32 in 24 maps 01-11|
It was the eleventh submission to the project, arriving at about five and three-quarter hours into the session. According to the author, it took 90 minutes to build.
The Core Complex is quite a large map, but to an extent quite symmetrical in its design. The centre of the map is an open outdoor area, with a large computer tower placed in the middle. The super shotgun, chaingun, rocket launcher and plasma gun can each be found in a different corner of this area, next to its respective large ammo pickup. There are two exits from the central area in each corner, and as the rest of the map is at a lower elevation, there are 8 pairs of staircases, one at each compass point.
These staircases are part of a corridor which completely surrounds the central area. This itself is surrounded by another corridor and four corner rooms which form the majority of the lower level of the map. The corner rooms each contain a box of shells, and link in to the inner corridor, but the outer corridor is also accessible from the inner corridor by a short connecting passage on each side, each one containing a different weapon and its large ammo pickup. These connecting passages are also the locations of most of the spawn points (see below).
Where the map loses its symmetry is in the additional sections found along each side of the outer corridor.
- The east side has two wooden rooms, each with five bookcases that stretch from floor to ceiling, providing useful cover but also functioning as a movement obstacle. Going to the red flesh area behind here will reveal a teleporter leading to an alcove overlooking the central area, containing a megaarmor.
- The south side has a silver room with a lamp. A box of rockets is immediately visible, but two energy cell packs can be found in the corners, behind the support structures.
- The west side has two short corridors that lead to the BFG9000. Taking it will trigger a slow crusher, which will kill any player stuck under it. The slow movement of the crusher caused by damaging the player will also make the BFG unavailable to others for a short period. The player is warned of the danger by a large red exclamation mark drawn on the ground.
Additionally, pressing the south wall of this section near the corner will open an alcove with a soulsphere. There is no visual clue to this door.
- The north side instead has two grey panels. These are a door that reveals a room containing the exit switch and nothing else.
This level contains five spawn points:
- In the south of the central area, facing north. Equidistant from the plasma gun and rocket launcher. (thing 12)
- In the east connecting passage, facing west. The rocket launcher is in front of this spawn point. (thing 13)
- In the north connecting passage, facing south. The chaingun is in front of this spawn point. (thing 14)
- In the west connecting passage, facing east. The super shotgun is in front of this spawn point. (thing 15)
- In the south connecting passage, facing north. The plasma gun is in front of this spawn point. (thing 24)
Areas / screenshots
|Box of bullets||5|
|Box of shotgun shells||6|
|Box of rockets||3|
|Energy cell pack||4|
|Health & Armor||1-2||3||4-5|