MAP08: Violent Geometry (Avactor)
This level occupies the map slot MAP08. For other maps which occupy this slot, see Category:MAP08.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Letters in italics refer to marked spots on the map. Sector, thing, and linedef numbers in boldface are secrets which count toward the end-of-level tally.
Other points of interest
- At the start of the level, go back to the ship for a chaingun and a box of bullets.
- From the starting area, drop to the first step of the pyramid, the one that overlooks the basin. Keep going to find a hidden backpack.
- From the computer area map in secret #7, drop to the north into a secluded basin. Here you will find an energy cell, a stimpack, and a return teleporter.
- Later in the level, you will eventually be able to pass through the west door of the big cyberdemon room described in secret #2, accessing another big room. From here, go southeast to find a little room with a switch that will lower the soul sphere and the columns in the big cyberdemon room. The columns are the hiding place of cacodemons and pain elementals.
- In the yellow key room, there's a wall on the west that can be opened, leading (sector 2622) to the soul sphere that you could see from the outside.
- Enter the room northeast of the big room with columns, a cyberdemon and the unreachable soul sphere. You will see a ledge on the right with two shotgunners. Stand on one of the candles under the ledge and shoot the white flashing inscription on the north wall to activate the elevator that allows you to get to the ledge, where two health bonuses, a stimpack and an energy cell await. These elevators cannot be lowered, meaning that the secret can only be accessed once. (sector 2575)
- In the lava pool where you can see the BFG and the teleported elevates out of reach, there's some stairs that lead out of the lava. Here, a wall on the east can be lowered, uncovering a button. Press it to open a recess behind you, leading to the chaingunner cage, where you can find a box of bullets and two stimpacks. (sector 1485) Later in the level, a wall will lower inside this cage, freeing an arch-vile and allowing access to a megaarmor.
- After opening the red door, the floor will lower and you will ambushed. The wall in the eastern recess can be opened, allowing access to a backpack. (sector 2591)
- From secret #4, exit the room and you will see a water basin to the north west. Here, there are two sets of columns restricting access to a cave. Go where the northern set is and look east. You will see an elevator that allows access to a cell pack. (sector 1905)
- At the second multi-floored elevator, the last floor seems unreachable. To access it, press the button behind a fake waterfall in the imp pool east of it. The fake waterfall (sector 2440) hides three chaingun statues, a stimpack and a box of bullets, while the hidden floor is a cave with a chaingunner and a megaarmor.
- South of the imp pool in secret #6 you will find yourself back at the starting pyramid, on a ledge with some ammo and enemies. From there, carefully drop to the east for a computer area map. (sector 139)
- South of the map, there's an open area where you have to lift some platforms to access the west ledge. From here, an elevator with a box of shotgun shells and an arch-vile will give you access to the next area. Exit this elevator and you will see on the south wall that a green texture is missing. Open this wall to access a small detour (sector 2796) with some enemies and ammo that leads to a button. By pressing the button you will lower some walls next to the starting elevator, freeing two revenants. The two recesses contain a medikit and a cell pack.
- In the immense room with chains, you will have to press several buttons, each triggering an ambush. One of them will also lower you to a small room, where you have to press a button to activate the exit elevator. In this room, you can jump from the rising elevator to the two side ledges, accessing some ammo. Both ledges count as the secret. (sector 1744) Take note that if you exit this room, there's no way to access it again.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The (absence of) data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.