MAP09: Deimos Anomaly (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|All Jaguar-based ports|
MAP09: Deimos Anomaly is the ninth level of most console versions of Doom, based on the original E2M1: Deimos Anomaly with modifications made to adapt to consoles' limitations. The author of the conversion is American McGee, and the original author of the map is Sandy Petersen. The map first appeared on the Atari Jaguar, and was later ported to the 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Boy Advance, Sony PlayStation, and Sega Saturn versions.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
From the start, go straight forward past the teleporter and head east. You will come to a red inverted cross which can hurt you when you stand inside it - pass through quickly and head south to pick up the blue keycard.
Go back to the teleporter you passed earlier and step on it. You will enter a wide hallway - head south and then west to a lava pool. The bridge and the eastern platform will both fall away when stepped on, so step across quickly and head straight forward into another teleporter. In the next area, you will see a recess with gargoyle faces - press the switch on your right to lower the nearby wall with demons on it. Head forward past another lava pool and turn around to see a blue door - open the door and step on the teleporter behind it.
In this room, press the switch in front of you to raise a nearby staircase - kill the monster blocking your way and press the switch at the top of the staircase. This will lower a wall and reveal yet another teleporter to the south. Step on it and approach the brick wall in front of you, which will lower to reveal the exit door. Go through and press the switch inside to finish the level.
Other points of interest
- On the I am a Wimp/Not Too Rough skill levels, a box of ammo can be seen in front of you at the start of the level.
- After passing through the first teleporter, you will see a red triangular platform in front of you holding a shotgun on Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra Violence skill levels. The triangle is a damaging floor so do not stand on it for too long.
- The east platform in the first lava pool holds armor and a box of shells, while the west platform holds a medikit. The east platform lowers into the lava when stepped on.
- After crossing the first lava pool, throw the switch on the wall to your right. A small block will rise out of the floor behind you, with two more switches on it. Throw the switch closest to you (on the east side), which opens a short hallway next to the nearby teleporter, containing a medikit and the red keycard. (sector 29)
- Push the other button on the small block (west side). This opens a teleporter next to where the blue keycard was. Follow it to a hidden room (sector 64) with a plasma gun, which is guarded by monsters.
- In the alcove in the third area (with demons standing on a tall wall), the left gargoyle switch raises part of the wall to reveal another teleporter. Follow it to a long hallway (sector 43) containing health and armor bonuses. Note that this area can only be opened once from the outside.
- The red door is just south of the blue door, surrounded by lava. Open the door to find a ledge (sector 77) with a computer area map and megaarmor, as well as monsters.
After throwing the switch that reveals the teleporter to the exit area, if you return to that teleporter quickly enough you will see that the back sides of the lowering walls have no textures, causing a flickering effect.
Comparison of versions
Aside from geometry simplification, a number of changes were made to this level compared to the PC version.
- Unusually for console levels, more than one type of switch is used. Most switches use a knife switch on brown wall texture (SW1BRN1), but the switch to open secret #3 and the switch next to it both use a gargoyle face on metal wall texture (SW1GARG).
- Blood pools in the level are changed to lava.
- The pointed floor around the teleporter in front of you at the start of the level has three points instead of four.
- The sectors either side of the red inverted cross have lower ceilings, to avoid an issue where textures stretch if they attempt to tile vertically more than once.
- The opening in the inverted cross is slightly wider in the PlayStation release.
- The three windows around the blue keycard have translucent panels in them.
- The three candles on the red triangle with the shotgun were removed.
- The switch which opens the hidden area containing the red keycard is further from the wall. This hidden area and the wall in front of it are horizontal instead of being angled.
- Some thin sectors around the red door were removed.
- The switch in the south-western room is flat instead of being angled, and the staircase that it raises is shorter.
- The exit room is rectangular.
- A Hell knight appears on the far side of the blood river on Ultra Violence.
- The demon south of the plasma gun in secret #2 is replaced with a nightmare spectre.
- The shotgun that appears in front of the first teleporter on easy skill levels is absent. (As the shotgun will not appear on the red triangular platform on those skill levels either, the first opportunity to get it is by killing a nearby shotgun guy.)
- A clip and an armor bonus were removed from secret #1.
- Some health and armor bonuses were removed from secret #3.
- A stimpack was removed from secret #4.
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"Donna To The Rescue"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"I Sawed The Demons"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"Hiding The Secrets"||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"The Demons From Adrian's Pen"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"Breath Of Horror"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"A Calm Panic Rises"||Aubrey Hodges|
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 109)
- facing west. (thing 110)
- facing north. (thing 111)
- facing south. (thing 112)
Inspiration and development
|Console Doom levels - Sega 32X|
|Phobos:||MAP01: Hangar • MAP02: Plant • MAP03: Toxin Refinery • MAP04: Command Control • MAP05: Phobos Lab • MAP06: Central Processing • MAP07: Computer Station • MAP08: Phobos Anomaly|
|Deimos:||MAP09: Deimos Anomaly • MAP10: Containment Area • MAP11: Refinery • MAP12: Deimos Lab • MAP13: Command Center • MAP14: Halls of the Damned • MAP15: Spawning Vats|
|Secret levels:||MAP24: Military Base|