MAP09: The Pit (Doom 2 In Name Only)
|Doom 2 In Name Only maps 01-11|
MAP09: The Pit is the ninth map of Doom 2 In Name Only. It was designed by CorSair, Cyriak Harris (mouldy) and BlueFireZ88, and uses the music track "Bluroc" from Heretic, created by Kevin Schilder. The par time defined in MAPINFO is 4:00.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Take the shotgun to your right and kill three imps waiting behind the door, then turn left and walk straight forwards until you drop down to a radiation shielding suit. Take this item then run east through the lava towards a large gray rock in the center of the titular pit - there is an opening in the east wall that leads into a red cavern. Follow the tunnel south to a step with the red skull key and another radiation suit, but be ready to move fast as a group of (depending on skill level) demons, cacodemons or revenants will be released into the main cavern. Head north into another tunnel and follow it to two revenants who are guarding a teleporter leading back to the starting point.
Step on the lift to your left to go down to the cliffs surrounding the pit. You need to go in a clockwise direction to the east side while dodging various monsters that block your path, including an arachnotron ambush as you pass the brown brick building on the north side. Once you get to a sealed white teleporter on the east side of the pit, kill a spectre waiting in the opposite tunnel then follow the tunnel to a large hall with brown columns; as you move through the hall, watch out for spectres waiting behind the columns (as well as Hell knights and revenants on Hurt Me Plenty or higher). When you reach the lava pit in the north-east corner, enter it to collect the yellow keycard then use the red blocks on the west side to climb out. When you go back to the tunnel you will see that it has sealed; open the small door in the east wall (requiring the yellow key) and flip the switch behind it to lower the wall, revealing imps or revenants (plus an arch-vile on Ultra-Violence and Nightmare).
Go back to the cliffs and continue going clockwise to the south side this time, ready to dispose of revenants and demons that teleport in. When you reach the sealed teleporter on the south side, follow the imp-infested tunnel here to a pentagram mural then open the door behind it to enter an room that has a large pentagram on the floor. In the middle of the pentagram is the blue keycard, along with an eye switch, a supercharge and different ammo pickups depending on skill level; taking the blue keycard will also cause a pack of cacodemons and lost souls to appear from the openings overhead. Push the eye switch to reveal five skull switches in the corners of the room, press all of these to lower a wall blocking your way out of the room then fight your way past some imps and zombies that have teleported in to get back to the cliffs.
Go back round to the brown brick building on the north side, then climb the rock steps opposite its entrance to a sewer tunnel. Open the door at the end of the tunnel and press both buttons on your left to open the exit door, then press another eye switch behind the door to reveal a blue skull button on your left that will lower the skin walls and allow you to reach a lift. Activate the lift and ride it up to another exit door, go through it to a ruined road and climb the steps directly ahead to trigger an arch-vile ambush behind you (as well as one or two pain elementals on HMP or higher). In the north-east corner of this area is a switch hidden behind an open electrical panel - flip that switch to lower the bars blocking the large gate to your left, then cross the road and open the small silver door on the other side to finish the level.
Other points of interest
In the north-western and south-western areas of the map are two small chambers that each contain three compartments - these compartments require the red, blue and yellow keys to open. The north-western chamber holds a berserk pack, a megaarmor and a supercharge, while the south-western chamber holds a box of rockets, a megaarmor and an energy cell pack.
- Inside the yellow key area, go to the south-east door and enter the room. Use the television in the back of the room to reveal a switch. After pressing this switch, exit the room and several compartments on the sides of the yellow key area will be open. Lots of enemies come pouring out of these compartments, but you can find some supplies in the compartments as well. Three of these compartments count as the same secret sector. (sector 463)
- In the southwestern-most room, go through the door on the north side and head west all the way to the wall. Look at the brown column here to spot a small green button. Push this button, then head to the south-west part of this room where a step has raised allowing you to head to the other side. There are energy cell packs hidden behind the conveyor. (sector 770)
- In the room east of the southwestern-most room, go near the computer terminals on the south side and approach the cage in the corner. Look north-east and shoot the blue switch here, then run to the opposite side to find a teleporter. This teleporter takes you to a building above the pit on the north-east side, where you can find a berserk pack and a supercharge. (sector 928)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
The data was last verified in its entirety on September 21, 2022.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 813)
- facing north. (thing 814)
- facing north. (thing 815)
- facing south. (thing 816)