MAP10: Containment Area (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|All Jaguar-based ports|
MAP10: Containment Area is the tenth level of most console versions of Doom, based on the original E2M2: Containment Area with modifications made to adapt the level to the consoles' memory and storage limitations. The author of the conversion is American McGee, and the original map authors are Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen. The map first appeared on the Atari Jaguar, and was later ported to the 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Boy Advance, Sony PlayStation, and Sega Saturn consoles. Due to its original size, it is one of the most radically altered levels, with nearly half of the original geometry removed.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
Go straight forward, turn left when you reach the crate wall and pick up the berserk pack in front of you. Turn right and head through the metal archway in front of you to a room with four pillars. Go straight ahead through the exit flanked by candelabras and press the switch on your left to open the door. Go through the door and a staircase will rise in front of you. Climb it and go left at the crossroads, which will bring you to a room with a nukage pool. Run across it (the nukage is harmful) and take the blue keycard on the other side.
Red key and exit With the blue key, go forward and down the staircase to a blue door. Open it and turn right to see another blue door, behind which is the red keycard. Take it and head down the corridor to the four-pillared room. Go back up the staircase from this room again and go straight ahead at the crossroads. Follow the corridor through a large room and you will see a nukage pool in front of you, with the exit door on the other side. Turn left to see a red door in front of you - head through it and follow the room round to a switch. Press the switch to raise a bridge over the nukage to the exit door. Go back through the red door, cross the new bridge through the exit door and press the switch behind it to finish the level.
Other points of interest
The yellow keycard in this level is optional, but is required to get to secret #1 (see below). After taking the berserk pack in the crate maze at the start of the level, instead of going through the metal archway to the south, walk past it and follow the path south, east and north around the crates. You will see a door at the end of the path - go through it and head straight forward. The keycard is past the room with six pillars, next to a backpack (this area also holds secrets #2, #3 and #4).
An armor pickup can be found on your right at the start of the level, along with a shotgun on I am a Wimp/Not Too Rough skill levels. A crate just in front of you holds a box of shells on those skill levels, or a shotgun on Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra Violence - you can reach these items by walking forward and pressing the switch on your left, which lowers the crate.
After reaching the crossroads past the rising staircase, go west and follow the corridor to the end. You will find a megaarmor in one corner, and a clip and two stacks of shotgun shells in a nearby closet.
The room due east of the exit area contains an armor pickup and a medikit.
- In the north region of the map is a square concrete corridor, accessible through a door just south-east of the start point. This corridor surrounds a central chamber which requires the yellow keycard to enter. Inside is a chaingun on a pillar (sector 46), which can be lowered by pressing the switch on the north wall. (Note that if you fall into the nukage pit before pressing the switch, you cannot get out.)
- In the north-eastern room at the end of the crate maze, approach the yellow keycard and backpack to make three metal pillars rise. There is a switch on the north side of each pillar that opens a door in the previous room. All three of the alcoves behind these doors (sectors 78, 79 and 80) count as separate secrets and contain a box of rockets, a rocket launcher and a box of bullets.
- See secret #2.
- See secret #2.
- After climbing the rising stairs, turn right, take the first left and turn left again to enter a dark room. There is a switch on the north side of the first rectangular pillar, which temporarily lowers the second pillar to the east (this switch only works once). Step on top of this pillar (sector 38) to collect a plasma gun. (If you are still on top of the pillar when it rises again, press the switch on the north wall to lower the pillar permanently. The switch can also be activated from below.)
- In the blue keycard room, there is a brightly-lit triangular sector in the south-east corner of the room. Stepping on this triangle temporarily lowers a floor across the nukage pool - step on to this floor (sector 112) before it rises again to collect a soulsphere. (If the floor rises while you are standing on it, press use on the north, east or west walls to lower it again and let yourself out.)
The chainsaw room is still present in some console versions and is normally inaccessible. Because the hallway leading to it was removed, it is normally impossible to get into this room and therefore to get 100% kills and secrets. In the Jaguar version, it is possible to clip into the area using a glitch with the rocket launcher. This was fixed in the PlayStation and Saturn versions, which remove the orphaned rooms.
Comparison of versions
Of all the levels ported to consoles, Containment Area is among the most radically altered. Around half the playable area was removed, along with geometry simplification in the remaining areas and texture changes to reduce the number of unique textures used.
- The entire western section of the crate maze has been removed.
- The north and west hallways around secret #1 have been removed.
- The western hallway from the central room with four pillars and the nukage river it leads to have been removed.
- The crusher hallway and the yellow keycard room were removed.
- The three hallways with flashing blue lights in the west of the level and the three sets of quadrant-shaped lifts in the southeast of the map, along with their associated secret areas, have been removed.
- All switches use a red/green light on metal wall texture (SW1MET2).
- All but one of the small crates are removed from the south-west corner of the crate maze.
- The yellow keycard is moved to the north-east corner of the map, next to the backpack.
- The blue keycard room is moved further west, into the space where the yellow keycard room used to be. This area is connected directly to the crossroads past the rising stairs by a hallway.
- A small alcove containing megaarmor, north of the exit area, is removed. The pickup is placed on the floor.
- The exit door is now separated from the rest of the level by an isolated nukage pit. The pit itself is shallower.
- Two revenants appear in the south-west corner of the crate maze on Ultra Violence skill level (UV).
- Three demons that appear in the level on UV are replaced with nightmare spectres:
- One in the room behind the yellow door (secret #1).
- One at the bottom of the staircase north of the blue keycard.
- One in the dark room north-east of the exit area (secret #3).
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"Donna To The Rescue"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"Donna To The Rescue"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"At Doom's Gate"||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"Intermission From DOOM"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"A Calm Panic Rises"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"Breath Of Horror"||Aubrey Hodges|
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 139)
- facing south. (thing 140)
- facing east. (thing 141)
- facing south-west. (thing 144)
Inspiration and development
|Console Doom levels - Sega 32X|
|Phobos:||MAP01: Hangar • MAP02: Plant • MAP03: Toxin Refinery • MAP04: Command Control • MAP05: Phobos Lab • MAP06: Central Processing • MAP07: Computer Station • MAP08: Phobos Anomaly|
|Deimos:||MAP09: Deimos Anomaly • MAP10: Containment Area • MAP11: Refinery • MAP12: Deimos Lab • MAP13: Command Center • MAP14: Halls of the Damned • MAP15: Spawning Vats|
|Secret levels:||MAP24: Military Base|