MAP10: Cosmodrome (Plutonia 2)
|Plutonia 2 maps 01-11|
MAP10: Cosmodrome is the tenth map of Plutonia 2. It was designed by Thomas van der Velden, and uses James Paddock's music track "Astral Dreadnought", which is also the name of the original creature in Dungeons & Dragons that inspired the Cacodemon. The par time defined in MAPINFO is 1:30.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Go through the teleporter behind you. Shoot down the zombiemen here and then press the switch. The aircraft will fly far above you and compartments to the north and south will open with many monsters inside. Clear the area and drop into the loading bay. The door opens as you approach it, so head in, get rid of the arch-vile, press the switch, and then use the teleporter to be back where you were before. The southern monster compartment has an opening, follow the path behind it to a large open area with a large UAAF building. Its entrance is on the south side, so cross the bridge picking up the super shotgun along the way and enter. Climb the stairs and follow the path all the way around until you drop into the center of the building, where you find chaingunners and a switch. The switch exposes you to cacodemons, demons, and mancubi. In the expanded area, flip the switch on the southwestern column, which opens a way out to the northeast, back to the walkway.
A new opening is revealed to the right, so go through there, and over the bridge (this was the same area with an arch-vile and a teleporter) to the next room. There are several shotgun guys and zombiemen stationed here, in a similar manner to that one room from Refueling Base. Kill them as you make you way to the next area. A compartment opens up revealing pain elementals and a Hell knight, and there are also mancubi present. If you grab the rocket launcher, another monster-filled compartment opens. You will see the blue keycard on the opposite side of gap, with lifts constantly going up and down between the section you are on and the one on the opposite end. Use them to cross over, and watch out for the cacodemons that attack you. After getting the key, cross back, and then open the blue door. Kill the arch-vile in front of you and take the walkways back out of the UAAF building. Cross the bridge and open the blue door, taking the lift up. You will notice that this area was your actual starting point, and that you are on the other side of the fence. Flip the switch to lower into the exit room, where you will find several monsters guarding the exit.
Other points of interest
- In the large open area in the northwest corner of the map, push the button in the middle and drop down into the hall with the arch-vile. Go down this hall and into the room with a four-square set of white teleporters. In the back left corner, one of the boxes is gray (most of them are brown). Press use to lower the gray box and pick up a blue armor. (sector 66)
- When first entering the UAAF building, proceed until you are about to exit the building through a platform (which has some revenants on it). Just north of that exit is a window looking out west, with a single brick lighter than the rest of the wall at the bottom. Press 'use' in front of this brick to lower a platform in front of you with another blue armor and a chaingunner. (sector 11)
- Upon entering the dark hitscanner-heavy corridors with pulsating alcoves, turn left and then right. The first alcove to the right will have a single large UAAF logo. Open this wall to find a backpack and partial invisibility. (sector 270)
- Upon reaching the room with a nukage pit with a bridge operated by several lifts moving at random, drop into the pit, turn left (north) and go to the end. You will see on the north side a recessed wall with a stone floor. Open this wall for a curved hallway containing a backpack. (sector 246)
- Open the silver wall behind the backpack in Secret #4 and another hall will open in front of you, with six armor bonuses and a soul sphere. (sector 242)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||1:02.17||Boris Klimeš (dew)||2011-05-07||p210-102.zip|
|NM speed||1:43.54||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2015-01-18||p210n143.zip|
|UV max||4:46.71||Dylan Gill (TheV1perK1ller)||2018-03-12||p210-446.zip|
|NoMo||0:55.89||Boris Klimeš (dew)||2013-07-11||plt2nomo.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
|First Demo Attempt||16:10||Memfis||2011-02-03||pl2mem10.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on January 14, 2022.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing north-west. (thing 204)
- facing south. (thing 205)
- facing south-east. (thing 206)
- facing south-east. (thing 207)