MAP10: Hangar (The Abyss)
|The Abyss maps 01-11|
MAP10: Hangar is the tenth level of The Abyss. It is a modified version of E1M1: Hangar by John Romero, with additions by Miklos de Rijk (H2SO4). It features the original E1M1, with sections of the map mirrored, paths modified, and an outdoor arena fight near the true exit. This map, along with MAP31: The Temple, may explain exclusion from the idgames archive until 2015.
This map is considered to be a sign that not all places the player has traveled previously have been concrete.
Other points of interest
- (Note: The first three secrets are the same as in the original Hangar) In the corridor at the end of the zig-zag room, a portion of the west wall is colored differently and has a corpse lying next to it. Activate the wall to gain access to the courtyard with the blue armor. (sector 65)
- After having entered the dark room with the exit door, return to the zig-zag room. The platform with the imp(s) has now been lowered, yielding access to a secret room containing a shotgun. (sector 66)
- After opening secret #2, walk toward the north end of the zig-zag room. As you cross the shadow line, a lift will lower in the shotgun alcove, visible from where you are standing. Run and you can catch it before it goes up. (sector 67)
- Past Secret #1, walk down the steps and to the lit area. Press on the south wall to find energy cell packs and a stimpack. (sector 82)
- Open the door behind your starting point to find a mirror image of the starting room. (sector 102)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 15, 2018.
This level contains seven spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 69)
- facing north. (thing 70)
- facing south. (thing 71)
- facing north-west. (thing 72)
- facing south. (thing 73)
- facing east. (thing 158)
- facing south. (thing 279)