MAP10: Onslaught (The Plutonia Experiment)
|Plutonia maps 01-11|
MAP10: Onslaught is the tenth map of The Plutonia Experiment. It was designed by Dario Casali and uses the music track "Demons On The Prey" from Doom. In the PlayStation version of Final Doom it is the last level and uses the music track "Breath Of Corruption" also heard in MAP10: Paradox and composed by Aubrey Hodges.
Right in the starting area, you can grab the blue key located within a fence structure. First of all, take the blur artifact behind you and eliminate the chaingunner right near you. Take his chaingun. Then, find a shotgun guy nearby here. Kill him and take his shotgun. After that, carefully enter into the fenced structure. Be noted, that the doors in this area will open each time when you walk under the bricky pillars. They contain chaingunners and some optional items inside. You can do the following: 1) Walk forward, and each time when some door opens, go to it and kill one chaingunner. Repeat until you reach the blue skull key and collect it. After you take it, the last door with a chaingunner will open, and a trap behind the fiery wall containing cacodemons will open. 2) Simply walk to the blue skull key without any hesitation. Now when all the traps are open, you can cause an infight between cacodemons and chaingunners in order to save your munitions.
Finally, when done with the enemies, go to the skull bars and open the door. Flip the switch to lower the bars giving access to rest of the level. When you step to the new area, the walls in front and behind you will open. The former one conceals revenants and the latter has arachnotrons. Again, you can cause an infight between them.
In the next area, proceed south, past a pavilion with four pillars, then enter a rounded place reminding arena. The walls on both sides will open containing chaingunners. Do not kill them now as they will resurrect all the way, so this will be pointless. Go to the door ahead and open it. Behind is a baron of Hell. Dispatch him and press the button to descend down. Turn right and enter a maze area. Go forth to a room with three lamps and the top and head left to a green brick room. Flip the switch in that room. This will give you access further. Go back to the room with the three lamps. Turn left. Ahead, you can see a fence behind which is a hanging corpse. Near it, make way towards north to the opened STAR-textured room. Take all what you need here and go upstairs to a grass area. There, flip the switch. Then, descend the stairs down and up making way to the familiar area. In the pavilion the yellow key is now accessible. Take it.
Make way to the yellow door near the beginning of this area (west). In another star-textured room, head east to the red key. Grab it and backtrack to the pavilion where there was the yellow key. Open the red panel and press the green button behind. Backtrack to the yellow door. The door leading to the western portion is now opened. Go to this area. Walk around the fence to the east and enter the exit portal (beware of various traps opening on your way).
- After making some progress into the level you will make it to a grey brick sewer-like area. In the tunnel to the right (west) there are two paths branching off to the left (south) and right (north); go into the right one and open the misaligned wall to the left (west) to get some goodies. (sector 157)
- After passing through the sewer area, you will arrive at a beige-walled computer room. There is a combat armor resting atop a CPU block in the corner of the room. To lower it, walk up the stairs leading outside. When you reach the top, the wooden board gating the way will lower, but rather than passing over it, return back down to the computer room and quickly grab the lowered armor. (sector 149)
- After making it back outside once you have passed through the sewer area, there will be a sunken stairway leading down then back up to an earlier part of the level. At the lowest point of the staircase, press the use key against the left (north) wall to lower the ground on both sides of the staircase. The far end of the right (south) side (opposite the wall you pressed to lower the floor) has a hidden alcove in it. (sector 29)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
You can cut out the sewer area and the yellow skull key entirely by accessing the red skull key via the window rather than the traditional route.
The yellow skull key door has two "posts" indicating that it requires the yellow key immediately outside. Use the steps to get on top of the post nearest the window; then strafe-run through the window to get to the red skull key.
This trick was used by (at least) Juho Ruohonen (ocelot) in the record below.
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:19||Juho Ruohonen (ocelot)||2004-01-19||pl10-019.zip|
|NM speed||00:21||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2001-12-25||pn10-021.zip|
|UV max||02:38||Drew DeVore (stx-Vile)||2002-05-13||pl10-238.zip|
|NM100S||01:50||Drew DeVore (stx-Vile)||2002-04-21||ps10-150.zip|
|UV -fast||02:47||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2013-09-10||pf10-247.zip|
|UV -respawn||02:33||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-06-19||pr10-233.zip|
|UV Tyson||48:02||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-04-03||pt104802.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:24||Adam Williamson||2001-12-19||pp10-024.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on January 27, 2013.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 159)
- facing east. (thing 160)
- facing north-west. (thing 162)
- facing east. (thing 163)
- facing north. (thing 164)
- facing west. (thing 166)
- facing north. (thing 168)
- facing south-west. (thing 169)