MAP10: Refueling Base (Doom II)
|Doom II maps 01-11|
MAP10: Refueling Base is the tenth map of Doom II. It was originally started as a Doom map by Tom Hall (and did appear as E1M6 in Doom 0.5), but did not make it into the game and was instead completed by Sandy Petersen for Doom II. It uses the music track "The Demon's Dead" and the par time is 1:30.
Right at the start of the level, open the blue-triangled wall ahead and to the right (A). Inside is a shotgun and some ammo. Continue down the stairs and relatively straight through the opening in the stone wall. You can lower the vine-covered column here to reveal a chaingun and stimpacks as well as a few spectres. Continue through this room and out the opening leading outside. Go through the tan door to the left. The next room is dark and contains several silver alcoves and holds dozens of zombies (B). One of the alcoves in the southeastern end of this room contains a yellow key (C). Pick it up and return outside.
Make your way to the opposite end of the long outdoor area and open the door there. The next room is very large and dark, and is home to several imps, revenants, and arachnotrons. Go through either of the tunnels at the north end of this room and you will reach a stairway leading into a brightly lit alcove in the wall. Climb the stairs and the wall in front of you will open, revealing a blue keycard (D). Pick it up and return outside once more. If the wall containing the blue key closes, you can open it manually.
Once back outside, enter the round central room via the passage in the wall at about the midpoint of the outdoor area (E). Continue through the door to the south into another dark room. Clear the area of enemies, then head through the yellow door in the southwest corner (F). Proceed through another short room and through the blue door (G). Continue through one last hallway, through the exit door, and flip the end switch. In the last two rooms be aware of the cyberdemon on the other side of a barred window (H), who will teleport around the area once alerted and may block your exit.
- In the northeast corner of the map is a large chamber with several silver alcoves in the walls. The back wall of most of these alcoves has four small UAC logo panels. However, others have a single large UAC logo. The first of such is located on the north wall of alcoves, near the northeast corner of the room. Shoot the back wall to open a secret area behind it, containing a soul sphere (I). (sector 5)
- The same as secret #1, but located in the alcove on the east side of the westernmost column in the center of the room. Behind the wall are some light amplification goggles and a combat armor vest (J). (sector 12)
- The same as secrets #1 and #2, located in the alcove on the western wall of the southernmost column in the center of the room. Behind the wall is a single bulk cell (K). (sector 34)
- Across from and a bit south of secret #3 is another alcove with a shootable back wall with a berserk pack behind it (L). (sector 49)
- An alcove in the southeast corner of the same room as secrets #1-4 contains a switch. Flip it to open a secret shortcut to another area of this level (M). (sector 80)
- Directly across from the alcove the yellow key is found in is yet another alcove with a shootable back wall. The passage behind it leads to a wall with baron of Hell faces on it (N). (sector 26)
- Open the wall mentioned in secret #6 and step through to be teleported to yet another secret area, this time allowing access to the cyberdemon room below. (sector 180) Before exiting this area, pick up the invulnerability sphere and box of bullets to your left and right, respectively (O).
- Near the center of the level is a large circular area with four ovoid "fuel tanks" in its center. Enter this room through the passage on the east side to open the fuel tank on the west side of the room (P). (sector 116)
- The same as secret #8, but enter from the western passage to open the eastern fuel tank (Q). (sector 112)
- The same as secret #9, but enter from the south passage to open both center fuel tanks. Both are counted as separate secrets (R). (sector 111)
- See secret #10. (sector 114)
- From the "fuel tank" room mentioned above, go through the western exit and follow the fork in the path to the right. You will be taken to a room with a pair of nukage pools. On one of the wall near the entrance to this room is a wall with a brown upside-down triangle on it. Simply pass close to this triangle to open a secret passage in the nukage pool on the left. At the end is a series of three platforms leading up to a megasphere, each of which counts as a secret (S). (sector 120)
- See secret #12. (sector 121)
- See secret #12. (sector 122)
- There is a large dark room in the eastern side of the level which has a single blue light on the ceiling. In the southeast corner of this room is a wall that lacks the yellow lights on the walls surrounding it. Open it to reveal a secret passage leading to another room (T). (sector 74)
- After passing through the shortcut in secret #15 and arriving in the new room, follow the wall on your right until you come to a pair of green columns. Open the wall between these columns (U) to reveal yet another secret area. (sector 71)
- From secret #16, continue west in this room until you reach a UAC door in the northwest corner. Go through the door and pick up the rocket launcher to the right. From the platform the rocket launcher was on, run onto the platform straight ahead of you holding the security armor (V). (sector 101)
- In the same room as secret #17, but on the opposite side, is a raised alcove with a pair of rocket boxes in it. Simply use the wall below this alcove as you would a lift to lower the rocket boxes (W). (sector 59)
- The wall with blue triangles on it in front of you at the start of the level can be opened to reveal a secret passage leading to a shotgun and some health bonuses (X).
- From the starting point of the level, there is a white hall southeast from you, which is bordered at its south side by the big room containing 4 "fuel tanks" and at the east side by a darkened room; in this room, the big white pillar covered in vines can be lowered like a lift. It houses spectres, stimpacks and a chaingun.
- To get the seemingly unreachable soul sphere in the south end of the level, press the back wall of the northern alcove (Y); just across from the switch that lowers the lift next to you.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:25||Juho Ruohonen (ocelot)||2003-12-19||lv10-025.zip|
|NM speed||00:34||Vaclav Kunes (bolton)||2001-12-10||nm10-034.zip|
|UV max||04:39||Radek Pecka||2000-11-21||lv10-439.zip|
|NM100S||01:43||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2018-11-24||ns10-143.zip|
|UV -fast||04:59||Radek Pecka||2001-01-15||fa10-459.zip|
|UV -respawn||03:25||Radek Pecka||2002-04-29||re10-325.zip|
|UV Tyson||16:46||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-02-08||ty101646.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:28||Vaclav Kunes (bolton)||2001-12-23||pa10-028.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 5, 2020.
This level contains nine spawn points:
- facing south-east. (thing 488)
- facing east. (thing 489)
- facing north. (thing 490)
- facing south-west. (thing 491)
- facing west. (thing 492)
- facing north. (thing 493)
- facing north. (thing 494)
- facing west. (thing 495)
- facing east. (thing 496)
- The official French name of this level is Base de ravitaillement.
- This map contains the most secrets (18 or 16, depending on whether secrets #13 and #14 are counted separately) out of all the levels in Doom II.
- This map also contains the most enemies on the Ultra-Violence and Nightmare difficulties (279) out of all the levels in Doom II.
- Top-down perspective view of all Doom II levels by Ian Albert