MAP11: Borderlands (Strife)
|Strife levels (07-12 & 31)|
Castle and Temple
After being directed by Macil to find the Oracle for help with finding the remaining Sigil pieces, the Strifeguy passes through the borderlands en route to the Oracle's temple. Later, he must head north through a fortified area to enter the bailey of the Bishop's fortress. Depending on certain choices made during gameplay, the Strifeguy may also need to return here to reach the Order commons.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Deathmatch
- 4 Statistics
- 5 Technical information
- 6 Inspiration and development
- 7 Trivia
- 8 See also
- 9 Sources
- 10 External links
Finding the Oracle's temple
You first enter the borderlands from Tarnhill. Start by following the rocky path in front of you until you see a metal tower, which will open to release a sentinel when approached. Keep following the path across a bridge, then head forward through a metal archway and you will reach an open area with an ivy-covered structure in the center that resembles a Sigil symbol. In the middle of this structure is a teleporter that will take you straight back to Macil; this will be useful later. The area is guarded by a number of stalkers and acolytes; the latter enemies are particularly dangerous here as they can shoot you from a long distance. Go west from the ivy-covered structure and head towards a doorway on the other side of a water stream.
Go through the doorway into a cave, and follow the rock path north to a brick structure with a square central pillar. Go round this structure to see a block with a blue face on its south side. Either side of this block are booths holding red acolytes - kill either of them and take the Oracle keys they drop, then use this on the blue face to open the door ahead. Go through this door to enter the temple of the Oracle.
Entering the fortress
After speaking with the Oracle and using the teleporter next to it, you will appear on a teleport pad that was hidden in the brick structure south of the temple entrance. Go south from here and leave the cave, then go east around the ivy-covered structure towards a wooden building and a large door marked "Commons". Go through this door, turn left and follow the corridor to find a door that requires the Oracle Pass. Go through and speak to the Keymaster, who will give you a Military ID.
Leave the building and go back to the brick structure, then look north to see a castle-like wall with a dragon door. Go to the door and use the card reader next to the door to open it. Behind the door you will encounter the first templar of the game, or two on Veteran skill level or higher. If you have avoided making any noise up to this point then they will not attack immediately, otherwise be ready to fight them off. Go forward up the stairs and head straight forward to a large silver door; use the card reader to the left to open the door.
Go through the door and you will set off the alarm, if it is not active already. Turn right, then left and then right again to enter a brick building. BlackBird will suggest you take an officer uniform to help you blend in; kill the acolytes in this room and take the uniform from a nook in the east wall, then kill the templar which teleports in behind you. Leave the building and head due west around a column to a set of steps, leading into an area with some kind of moving ceiling. Press the button just north of this ceiling to raise a bridge over the pit ahead. Go east or west up either set of steps and head north, then turn left/right to see a window into a round room guarded by a templar. Follow the bridge you raised earlier to a door, go through it and head forward to a door leading to the fortress bailey.
The Order commons
If you choose to side with Macil and kill the Oracle, he will direct you to visit the Order commons for your next mission. If you use the teleporter next to Macil, you will return to the ivy-covered structure in the center of the borderlands. From here, go east to the door marked "Commons" and head through it. Behind this door is another door that requires the brass key given to you by Macil; open the door and head through to the commons.
Other points of interest
In the building with the officer uniform, the gray acolyte here will drop an Order key when killed. If you leave the building, turn left and head towards the wall ahead, you will see a door on your left that requires this key. Behind the door is a storage room with plenty of ammunition, as well as various weapons and two metal armor pickups.
- In the central yard, there is a castle wall and a gate that requires a key from the Keymaster. At the gate, you can jump on the card reader and continue along the adjacent hedge. Follow the hedge all the way to the western end without cutting corners. A switch will become revealed at the end of the hedge. Press it, and a wall will lower nearby. You can enter a passage that leads to the top of the waterfalls at the northwest corner of the yard. The area has four units of mini-missiles, a med patch, a medical kit and an energy pack. (sector 21)
- Near the southern end of the cave where the Oracle's temple can be accessed, there is a column in water. To the west of it, you can jump on a rocky step. When you go deeper on the step, a ledge will lower as a lift. Travel up to find a stash of health and ammunition items and 50 gold coins.
- At the other end of the cave, there is an ornate wall where you can use the Oracle key. When you face the blue mask, pay attention to the pillars on your left and right. The wall torch of the left pillar is unlit. Press the wall at the torch, and you will lower a section of water nearby. A passage will be revealed on the bottom of the section. There is a teleporter that allows you to return up, but if you go on, you will find an alternative entrance to MAP12 that allows you to reach the Oracle without needing to alert a single enemy. The Oracle key is not necessary if this route is used.
- Near the entrance of the bailey, there is a hallway in the west with three active computer screens. Two of them are translucent. Break either of the two screens, and you can enter through. The screens conceal a long room that holds health and ammunition items and a grenade launcher.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains twenty-three spawn points:
- facing south-west. (thing 328)
- facing south. (thing 329)
- facing east. (thing 330)
- facing south. (thing 331)
- facing east. (thing 332)
- facing south. (thing 333)
- facing west. (thing 334)
- facing west. (thing 335)
- facing east. (thing 336)
- facing south-east. (thing 337)
- facing west. (thing 338)
- facing west. (thing 339)
- facing east. (thing 340)
- facing south. (thing 409)
- facing south. (thing 410)
- facing south. (thing 411)
- facing south. (thing 412)
- facing west. (thing 413)
- facing north. (thing 414)
- facing south-east. (thing 415)
- facing south-west. (thing 416)
- facing north. (thing 417)
- facing west. (thing 418)