MAP11: Sewer Shutdown (Memento Mori II)
|Memento Mori II maps 11-20|
- 1 Mission briefing
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 Sources
- 12 External links
According to both the text file and the Infopack:
- You need to get into the city and check for signs of life. The best route is through the sewers. By the time you reach this point, you should be at the heart of the sewer processing facility - and the city. Since the demons have invaded, little is known about the state of this facility, but this image from one of our scouts may help. We do know it is not 100% operational. It must have been damaged in some way. You must reach the central point of the processing facility and shut it down. Once the system has been shut down, you should be able to obtain access to the city.
You begin in a small hallway. Grab the shotgun from the alcove and head into the sewer. Clear the imp cage to the south, then use the barrels in the sewer to bulldoze your way through the former humans. Continue forward to the second corner of the sewers, where you should be able to see an alcove in the south. Go into the alcove and go up the steps.
This next small room contains a slime pool and up to two shotgun guys. Carefully blow up the barrels in this room to kill them, then head down the steps ahead into a larger room with a slime channel. Kill the three shotgun guys waiting in ambush, then flip the switch in the south of the room. Leave this room through the corridor in the east, minding the two shotgun guys on the way.
From the corridor, you will emerge into a large room with a "broken bridge". Watch for the three imps on the floor, and more imps in cages in the north and east walls. There are some barrels in the west side, so use them carefully to take out the imps. Once they are dead, head south through the doorway.
This next room has some computer panels and a section of metal wall, along with some imps and two shotgun guys. However, as you enter, the metal wall lowers, revealing three chaingunners. Make them your priority target. Once the room is relatively clear, find the switch in the southeast corner, flip it, and immediately backtrack to the entrance of the room. The computer panels will lower, revealing a significant threat:
- Hey, not too rough and below: two imps, two shotgun guys.
- Hurt me plenty: four imps, three shotgun guys, one chaingunner.
- Ultra-Violence and above: four imps, three shotgun guys, two chaingunners.
Go into their trap and collect the yellow key. Return to the main room and press "use" to lower the L-shaped platform that the chaingunners appeared from when you entered the room, and ride it up to a new area.
Sewers, Part One
This next room is a challenge. As you enter, you are set upon by three shotgun guys and two Hell knights (one on Hey, not too rough and below). Imps will also attack you from cages on the east and west walls of the room, and some demons are being held back by metal bars in the north. When you hit the slime waterfall in either of the imp's cages, a computer panel in the north will open, releasing two chaingunners (Hey, not too rough and below), a cacodemon (Hurt me plenty), or a pain elemental (Ultra-Violence and above). Your priority is to:
- Kill the enemies on the floor first,
- Open fire on the imps,
- Deal with whatever enemy is released in the course of the fighting,
- Clear the imp cages,
- and then kill the demons behind the bars.
Only then do you climb up to the central platform and flip the switch, because flipping the switch will not only lower the bars, but release up to six spectres into the room. You do not wish to be fighting twelve demons at once in that room!
Once the enemies are cleared out, head into the sludge. The brown sludge is safe to walk on. Run all the way west down the sewers, being careful of a couple of imps along the way. You should end up at a vaguely square area with a central metal structure. Kill the three imps and the chaingunner up top. Climb the stairs to the chaingunner's perch, and flip the switch. This lowers part of the metal structure, allowing you to flip the switch in it.
Backtrack east, and notice that a new area has opened up. The red key is on an island in the sludge here, as well as a box of shells on another island. Kill the four (three on Hey, not too rough and below) imps on the floor. Rush towards the red key, pick it up, then immediately run back to the entrance to this area. Walls will begin lowering, sandwiching you between Hell knights and a mancubus (two on Ultra-Violence and above). With some good positioning, you can start some monster infighting and let them do the dirty work for you. If going for maximum kills, do check for a Hell knight (Hey, not too rough and below) or a baron of Hell (Hurt me plenty and above) in the northern trap that will not come out unless you enter the trap.
Continue backtracking east, and notice a fork in the path (an imp ambushed you from behind at this point earlier). Take the left at the fork, and open the red-keyed door ahead. Proceed forward and clear the imp cage on the left, then head down the steps into the final sewer area.
Sewers, Part Two
This large area contains a significant amount of enemies - numerous imps, some shotgun guys and some chaingunners for cannon fodder. On Ultra-Violence, there are more serious threats in the form of mancubi and arachnotrons. The green slime here hurts, so if you are concerned, find the switches in either the northwest or southeast, which when flipped lower to reveal a radiation suit. Make your way to the north, and take the eastern white teleporter.
This takes you to an isolated area behind a window in the west. Kill the imp, demon (and on Hurt me plenty and above, spectre) in this room. Find the "poison" sign on the wall, and use it to reveal a hidden teleporter. Go through this teleporter to be taken to another isolated area. Step off, continue forward and flip the switch on the brick wall near the corner. Backtrack into the teleporter to be taken back to the previous isolated area. Finally, step into the red teleporter to be taken back to the main part of the final sewer area.
Next, take any of the passages into the centre of this sewer area. Beware of spectres and chaingunners. Enter the central structure by the north side and flip the switch inside. Head to the north of the sewer area, where a staircase will have appeared. Head up the staircase.
As you head up the staircase, a wall seals shut behind you. Ahead of you is a small open courtyard, with a tough encounter involving Hell nobles:
- Hey, not too rough and below: one baron of Hell.
- Hurt me plenty: two barons of Hell, one Hell knight.
- Ultra-Violence and above: three barons of Hell, two Hell knights.
- On co-op (all difficulties), add one Hell knight and one baron of Hell.
This is not an easy fight, with a high probability of being boxed in on higher difficulties. If you trust your speed more than your fighting skill, make a dash for the silver door in the north - the level will end without needing to open it.
Other points of interest
- Immediately after entering the sewage tunnel from the map start, go north and ascend the stairs to the west. In this room, some metal panels in the north are out of alignment with the rest. Open this wall (sector 196) to encounter four imps and to find a room with a box of shotgun shells and a switch that fixes the broken bridge, allowing access to secret #2. Note that if you drop from the broken bridge, fixed or not, you will become unable to access this secret, as well as secrets #2 and #3, unless you die and respawn during a cooperative multiplayer game.
- After fixing the bridge via secret #1, cross it to reach another room (sector 121) with three imps and a soul sphere.
- Within secret #2, there is a wall (sector 225) marked with a "Poison" sign. Open this to find a small toxic pool, around of which are a box of bullets, a box of shells and a duo of imps.
- After dropping from the bridge and proceeding into the next room to the south, enter the western passage and the room northwest of it; you will eventually come across a switch resting on a curved, silver wall. Flip this switch to open a secret compartment (sector 140) behind you, containing a chaingunner (not on easy skill levels), a box of bullets, a box of shells and three health bonuses.
- After the yellow keycard door, press on the northern wall with the skull upon it to find a small compartment (sector 178) with a green armor and a medikit.
- In the brown room following the red keycard door, part of the eastern side of the room has faulty lighting. Open the wall (sector 221) here to find a stimpack, two armor bonuses, a box of bullets, a box of shells, a chainsaw and a switch.
- Flip the switch in secret #6 and the western wall (sector 214) will open, releasing five (three on easy skills) imps in front of a backpack.
- At the north of the final sewer area, take the western teleporter. After this, push the southern of the two skulls on the eastern wall to open it and enter the teleporter. You will be taken to a tiny hallway (sector 38) with a megasphere on the western side, and both a box of rockets and a berserk pack on the other. You can only teleport here once, and entering the eastern side first will void your chances of obtaining the megasphere, as you cannot enter the teleport pad from the eastern side without warping. Instead, enter the western side first, as you will not be teleported if you walk onto the pad from the western side, and then obtain the other two items before warping back.
- In the westernmost part of the level, near secret #5, there is a switch (Linedef 639, Type 23 - S1 Floor Lower to Lowest Floor Tag 3) which allows access to the red keycard. It is surrounded by a silver stand (sector 59) which prevents the player from stepping next to the switch. Nevertheless, the stand is too thin in terms of X and Y coordinates and the switch still can be activated from a distance. As it is not necessary to flip a nearby switch (Linedef 656, Type 71 - S1 Floor Lower to 8 above Highest Floor, Tag 2) lowering the silver stand, which is hidden behind the yellow key door, it is possible to finish the level without picking up the yellow keycard.
- Because there is no access to both, the invisibility and the invulnerability sphere in single-player or coop mode and they are not marked as multiplayer-only, the player can only obtain 94% items on this map.
Also one of the two super shotguns, one of the two rocket launchers, a box of shotgun shells and a box of rockets are placed for deathmatch mode near those inaccessible items.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
Current Compet-n records
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|NM speed||04:59||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2007-01-22||m211n459.zip|
|UV max||06:12||Eugene Kapustin||2010-06-10||m211-612.zip|
|NM100S||04:59||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2007-01-22||m211n459.zip|
|UV -fast||07:00||Eugene Kapustin||2010-06-10||m211f700.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 4, 2020.
Current DSDA records
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||1:35.94||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2015-07-24||m211-135.zip|
|UV max||5:31.86||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2015-08-07||m211-531.zip|
|NM 100S||4:59.51||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2007-01-22||m211n459.zip|
|UV -fast||6:54.57||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2015-08-05||m211f654.zip|
|UV -respawn||5:05.63||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2015-01-23||m211r505.zip|
|NoMo||0:59.60||Andrea Rovenski (Cyberdemon531)||2018-08-02||m211o059.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 3, 2022.
Deathmatch is confined to the final sewer area. Players can spawn in alcoves in the northwest and southeast, or they may end up spawning in two elevated chambers that may give them a large amount of goodies. From there, they can drop down into the main arena.
- The chamber in the northeast contains a rocket launcher, a box of rockets and an invulnerability sphere.
- The chamber in the southwest contains a super shotgun, a box of shells and a blur artifact.
Players who spawn from these chambers may be far more well-equipped than you expect - be careful!
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 316)
- facing west. (thing 317)
- facing south. (thing 318)
- facing east. (thing 322)