MAP12: Deimos Lab (Console Doom)
|Console level navigator|
|All Jaguar-based ports|
MAP12: Deimos Lab is the twelfth level of console versions of Doom, based on the original E2M4: Deimos Lab. It was modified by American McGee to adapt to consoles' limitations. The original authors of the map are Tom Hall and Sandy Petersen. The map first appeared on the Atari Jaguar, and was later ported to the 3DO, Sega 32X, Game Boy Advance, Sony PlayStation, and Sega Saturn consoles.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Music
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Navigation
You start in an empty room with a teleporter in front of you. Go forward and step into the teleporter to enter a new area. Go through the doorway on your left and run straight forward through two damaging nukage rivers and an oval structure. Once you are across, keep going forward down the hallway, turning right, left and left again to a wooden door. Go through the door to face a demon on I am a Wimp or Not Too Rough skill levels (IAAW/NTR) or baron of Hell on Hurt Me Plenty or Ultra Violence (HMP/UV), and press the switch in the south-east corner to lower a lift. Take the lift to the upper level and take the blue keycard at the top.
Drop back to the lower floor and go back through the wooden door. Go forward into a room with red walls, and open the blue door at the opposite end. Go through and turn right to see the yellow door in front of you. Turn left and head straight forward past a marble brick structure. After passing it, turn around and enter the next room containing the yellow keycard. Taking it opens a nearby door containing a shotgun guy, plus a demon on HMP/UV. Kill them and press the switch they were guarding to open the south door so you can escape.
Go through the door you just opened and head through the yellow door in front of you. Follow the corridor behind it to the left until you see a lift on your right. Drop down into a round red room and head around the large octagonal structure in front of you. You can enter this structure through its south side; go into the center and step on the square platform with the soulsphere. Leave the structure and you will see that a wall in front of you has risen, revealing a teleporter. Go through it to a hallway with a scrolling skull texture.
Head down the hall to a lava pool and drop into it. Immediately turn left and head to a small platform with a teleporter; before going through, press the switch on the opposite wall to raise a bridge to the exit door. Step on the teleporter to return to the large round room you were in earlier. Step backwards into the teleporter behind you to return to the exit area, cross the bridge you just raised to reach the exit door, kill the imps behind it and press the switch to finish the level.
Other points of interest
Instead of going through the nukage rivers near the start of the level, step into the nukage and go to the north side (opposite the door to secret #3). You will find an alcove containing armor and a berserk pack.
After crossing the nukage rivers, head into the doorway on your right and then go left into a large room. This area contains numerous enemies and pickups, including armor behind a short green pillars and a box of shells in the south-east corner. Entering the room causes the floor to rise behind you which traps you inside; press the switch in the south-west corner to escape.
After collecting the blue keycard, press the switch on the south wall to lower the floor in front of you. Head east down a passage and you will find a curved bridge; on the other side of this bridge is a radiation suit, box of shells, two rockets and an energy cell.
In the room with the lava pool and five wooden doors, opening the central door leads to a dead-end with a medikit and box of shells. Approaching these items opens the doors on either side, revealing demons on all skill levels and cacodemons on HMP/UV.
- At the start of the level, there is a red torch casting a blinking light. Open the south wall within this light to find a hidden area containing a medikit, a shotgun, a box of shells and a box of bullets. (sector 29)
- At the far end of the large hall you teleport into from the start, there is a square lift. Go up and around the rectangular wall to find armor, a computer area map and two medikits behind some marble brick columns. Press the gargoyle switch in the north-east corner to lower the columns, and reveal an alcove containing lost souls, demons and a cacodemon depending on skill level. The alcove (sector 134) counts as a secret and contains a box of shells and a box of bullets.
- Early in the level you find an oval room surrounded by nukage. Instead of going straight through the room, drop into the nukage and go round the south side; this will open a large door on the north side. Continue around the circular nukage river clockwise, and go through the new door to find demons, spectres, a soulsphere, and a radiation shielding suit. (sector 123)
- The crooked, narrow bridge past the blue keycard spans a rectangular nukage pool; in the southwest corner of this nukage pool is a platform with a berserk pack (sector 86). You can also reach this platform by going southeast from the circular nukage river, through a gray-floored passage.
- After you cross the two rivers of nukage, take the first doorway to the right. A door ahead on your right will close. Shoot it with an impact weapon to reopen it. Go through to find a chaingun and a box of bullets. (sector 12)
- In the room with the lava pool and five wooden doors, go through the western-most door. There is a compartment across a nukage pool with some barrels; explode them from a distance. At the back of this compartment (sector 147) is megaarmor.
- Approaching the nukage pool in secret #6 will open the eastern-most door in the previous room. Go through this door and follow the passage to a door, behind which is a room (sector 169) containing two stacks of shotgun shells, two rockets and a stimpack. The door will close as you enter the room; the only way out is by pressing the gargoyle switch in the south-east corner, leading to a passage containing lost souls.
- In the room with the lava pool and five wooden doors, hop over the short wall at the north end to find a platform (sector 152) with two medikits. To get out, open the wall in the north-eastern corner past another small lava pool; this will bring you to the hallway near secret #7.
- After going through the yellow door, follow the circular corridor round past a lift on your right and a doorway on your left. In the easternmost part of the hallway, the wall separates slightly from the floor. Drop down into the gap and press use on the misaligned wall to raise a secret door. Inside, you will find a plasma gun (sector 144) and a teleporter to the raised square platform at the center of the round room to the west.
- When you get close enough to the exit door to open it, turn around. You will see another bridge rising which leads to a soulsphere (sector 66).
Comparison of versions
Compared to the PC version, aside from simplification of level geometry, the following changes have been made:
- Like Phobos Lab this level is given a hellish atmosphere similar to that of Inferno. Marble and metal are used almost everywhere on the map, replacing most of the tech and other brick textures.
- All crushing ceilings have been removed.
- All switches use a gargoyle face on metal wall texture (SW1GARG).
- A short red torch is added in the starting room, representing the flashing light found here.
- Secret #2 in the PC version of the level involves lowering several columns by walking up to a short red pillar. In the console version of the level, the red pillars in the room are removed and replaced with a switch that lowers the columns when pressed. The number of columns is reduced from eight to six.
- Protruding walls are removed from the hallway in the south-west of the map, leading to the blue keycard.
- The crusher trap at the yellow keycard is replaced with a monster ambush.
- In secret #7, the floor no longer rises when you enter this room. Instead, a wooden door is added that closes behind you when you enter the secret.
- The staircases in the large round room at the north end of the level have been removed, and the hallway connecting the outer area with the center has been made shorter. The PlayStation version also removes two computer textures from the east and west walls of the outer area.
- The blood pool before the exit is changed to lava, and the north exit sign by the exit door is removed.
- Many health and armor bonuses are removed from the level, as they give 2% health and armor on console levels instead of 1%. This is particularly noticeable in secret #2.
- Partial invisibility powerups are removed. The powerup in the nukage river in the south-east of the level is replaced with a berserk pack, and the powerup in secret #4 is removed completely.
Areas / screenshots
Atari Jaguar screenshots
Sega 32X screenshots
Sega Saturn screenshots
Game Boy Advance screenshots
The map uses the following music tracks:
|Atari Jaguar||"Kitchen Ace (And Taking Names)"||Robert Prince||Only plays in the intermission screen after the map is completed.|
|3DO||"At Doom's Gate"||Robert Prince||Re-orchestrated version played by live band|
|Sega 32X||"Dark Halls"||Robert Prince|
|Game Boy Advance||"Demons on the Prey"||Robert Prince|
|Sony PlayStation||"Corrupted"||Aubrey Hodges|
|Sega Saturn||"Beyond Fear"||Aubrey Hodges|
This level contains seven spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 185)
- facing east. (thing 186)
- facing north. (thing 187)
- facing west. (thing 188)
- facing east. (thing 189)
- facing west. (thing 190)
- facing south. (thing 191)
Inspiration and development
|Console Doom levels - Sega 32X|
|Phobos:||MAP01: Hangar • MAP02: Plant • MAP03: Toxin Refinery • MAP04: Command Control • MAP05: Phobos Lab • MAP06: Central Processing • MAP07: Computer Station • MAP08: Phobos Anomaly|
|Deimos:||MAP09: Deimos Anomaly • MAP10: Containment Area • MAP11: Refinery • MAP12: Deimos Lab • MAP13: Command Center • MAP14: Halls of the Damned • MAP15: Spawning Vats|
|Secret levels:||MAP24: Military Base|