MAP12: Knee Deep in Shit (32 in 24)
|32 in 24 maps 12-20|
MAP12: Knee Deep in Shit is the twelfth map of 32 in 24, a deathmatch megawad. It was designed by Climhazzard.
The map took two hours to build and was the fifteenth submission to the project, submitted just over thirteen hours into the session, almost five hours after the previous submission. It was originally intended to feature a custom music track, but due to a mix-up during compilation of the final WAD, the music track was instead assigned to MAP11, leaving the map with no replacement.
Knee Deep in Shit is a small to moderately-sized map with a low overall light level. Of particular note is the north-eastern corner of the map, which uses a light level of 80, making it very difficult to see any opponents without increasing the gamma.
The map is set in and around a small building with a brick exterior. The only outdoor areas are at the south of the map, at what can be assumed to be the main entrance for the building, where players will find the rocket launcher in front of the door. Other entrances to the building from here are a garage-like room in the north-east corner, and a short tunnel to the west. The metal panels in both of these areas are small lifts that lead into the building. For the south-western tunnel entrance, the lift is right next to a box of shells and teleporter connected to the outer wall of the second outdoor area, located in the west of the map. The plasma gun can be found on this outer wall. This second outdoor area is also the location of the chainsaw.
The southern half of the building's interior is mostly comprised of hallways without much of any note. All four entrances to the building have easy access to the main hallway, but the main entrance in the south of the map is the closest to the main areas of interest inside. Going through the UAC door opposite the main entrance leads into a square room with some pillars in the centre for cover, a medikit in each of the south corners, and a chaingun in the north-west corner. Next to the chaingun in a switch which opens a large section of the wall in the north-east corner, revealing a green armor, a box of rockets and two sets of stairs leading down to the dark basement mentioned in the first paragraph. While it is indeed difficult to see down here, it is not completely dark. A light in the middle of the room will reveal anyone who passes near it. If the player enters this area from the north staircase as opposed to the east, they should find three stimpacks along the inside wall. The main use for this area though is the teleporter near the light. It leads to the outside wall of the southern outdoor area. From there, players must run along the wall to another teleporter, which, if they can make it, will place them on a ledge overlooking this area from the north-west, and gives them the BFG9000.
This level contains eight spawn points:
- In the south-west corner of the southern area, facing north and next to the tunnel for the south-western entrance to the building. No items are given on spawn, making nearby spawns #6 and #7 particularly dangerous. (thing 9)
- In the western courtyard, facing north-east. Gets a super shotgun on spawn. (thing 27)
- In the garage-like entrance in the south-east of the map, facing north towards the lift. No items on spawn, although a medikit is to the right of this spawn, and shotgun is just outside. This player may end up in a race with spawn #4 for the shotgun, and is also in danger of spawn #8 coming down from the lift with its super shotgun. (thing 28)
- South-east corner of the southern area, facing north. No items on spawn, but a shotgun is directly ahead, though a player from spawn #3 may also be trying to get it. This spawn is further from spawns #6 and #7 than spawn #1, but still close enough that these players also present an immediate danger. (thing 29)
- Inside the building, near the west entrances, facing north. No items on spawn, but a super shotgun is right in front of this player, as well as a box of shells behind, and also the teleporter for the plasma gun, making this the best-placed spawn to reach that weapon. (thing 30)
- Next to the main entrance to the building, facing south, looking out over the courtyard. Gets a super shotgun on spawn, and the rocket launcher is easily accessible, however, spawn #7 is 320 units to the east and is equally matched. (thing 35)
- Same as spawn #6 (thing 36)
- Next to the eastern lift entrance to the building, facing west down the main hall. Gets a super shotgun on spawn. If players from spawns #6 and #7 end up fighting over the southern courtyard, this player has a good advantage of reaching the BFG. (thing 37)
Areas / screenshots
|4 shotgun shells||5|
|Box of shotgun shells||1|
|Box of rockets||1|
|Health & Armor||1-2||3||4-5|