MAP12: Militant Reprisal (Requiem)
|Requiem maps 11-20|
MAP12: Militant Reprisal is the twelfth map of Requiem. It was designed by Ian Quick, and uses the music track "Breach of Madness" (now titled "Mesmarine") by Mark Klem, also the megawad's text screen music.
- 1 Description
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Speedrunning
- 5 Deathmatch
- 6 Statistics
- 7 Technical information
- 8 Inspiration and development
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 Sources
- 12 External links
According to both the text file and the Requiem info pack:
- A large military base that guards the entrance to the Town of the Dead - it promises to be heavily guarded by its slain defenders. As usual, you must wade through the mutilated corpses of your seemingly limitless enemies to reach the exit.
Walk downstairs to a big room here and then open the door to the right. Head down this hallway and take either side path up to a switch. This will open up one of the doors to the big dark room. Then press the lion switch nearby and then enter the big dark room. Climb up the stairs to the top and you will find a switch nearby. This is actually a light switch. You do not need to press it, but it is there if you want to brighten up some of the hallways. Now go through the southern door. Head right at the fork, and you can either take the long hallway to your right (catching a glimpse of the exit door as you do) to the stairs, or you can press the switch on the left and ride the lift down to reach the stairs faster. Either way, take the stairs down and you will find a flooded room with lots of crates. Be careful of the chaingunners who ambush you from behind, then enter the water and cross to the other side. Go through the hall all the way south until you reach a big techbase-styled room. Approach the lift to the northwest for it to lower. Ride it up, then open any door up here to reach the exterior hallway. You now have a choice of two paths, left and right. For both paths, you need to take the northern doors, as the side doors cannot be opened except through the paths themselves. You need to go through both paths to get through the level.
Left path: Open the northwestern door and follow this path all the way to a room with a chaingunner inside a V-shaped wall. There is a door here leading back to the exterior hallway if you needed anything previously. Otherwise, approach the southern wall of this room to open it. In this large room, approach the bars to the south to open them. Past those is a walkway, which connects to the right path. If you already have been in the right path, skip past the next section, otherwise, take the teleporter that is through the passage on the east. You will appear in front of the door that leads to the right path.
Right path: Open the northeastern door and kill the zombies as you follow the path eastward. In the open area with the walkway and the switch, do not bother with the switch as it does not net you anything (it is supposed to give you access to a secret, but it is unfortunately bugged). You can go behind the faceted wall here to find a door leading back to the exterior hallway, otherwise, go south to the water and drop down. In the next watery area with a demon and imps, you might see a light arrow in the water pointing to the left, and if you do not see it, there is a light arrow in the subsequent hallway. Follow this hallway and you should find a switch with some chaingunners guarding it. Press this switch and go through the hallway seeing a light arrow pointing to the west this time. You can either head all the way down this hallway, following the path to some bars, or take a detour to the left where Secret #18 is and then going down the stairs on the opposite side. Either way, approach the shotgun to make the bars lower, and then head out onto the walkway above the water. If you have not finished the left path yet take the teleporter that appears in the passage on the western wall and then go to the section above this one. Otherwise, read on.
When you are finished with both paths, the bars to the southwestern section should be open. Go through the door here to a teleporter. When you emerge, you will be in a new area similar to Command Center. Open the bars barring the path ahead by heading through the middle of the columns (this also lowers the columns and you may fight barons of Hell here). Follow this hallway until you reach an area with nukage falls. Stay on the solid ground as much as you can, heading into the room with the yellow keycard. When you get it, drop down the nukage falls and make your way east all the way to the blue key (if you did not get the yellow key, there will be bars blocking access to the blue keycard). After grabbing the key, you will teleport back to the hallway that contained the exit door, which requires the blue key. Open this door, kill the baron of Hell (or Hell knight), then approach the wall to reveal the exit switch.
Other points of interest
- At the beginning of the level, open the nearby metal wall to find a passageway leading to a shotgun. (sector 513) On lower skill levels, there will also be either two sets of shells (Hey, Not Too Rough or lower,) or one (Hurt Me Plenty.)
- To the west side of the stairway at the start of the level, a portion of the rocky wall has gaping holes in it. Shoot it, and a closet will open in secret #1 containing security armor. (sector 523)
- In the room after the first stairway, there are two techno pillars. On the southern sides of either one are switches. Press them both, and then head through the western door to find that you can now enter the former humans' tunnel. The lighted portion of this tunnel counts as a secret. (sector 21) At lower skill levels, there will also be either two clips in this tunnel (Hey, Not Too Rough or lower) or one (Hurt Me Plenty.)
- Directly to the south of secret #3 is a wall with piping on it. Open it to find a stimpack and two clips. (sector 26)
- To the green hallway west of the mainframes south of the dark room, there is a portion of the northern wall with piping on it. Open it to access the former humans' tunnel and obtain security armor. (sector 77)
- To the south of secret #5 is a section of wall with blue triangles on it. Open it to find two switches. (sector 81) On Hurt Me Plenty, there will also be one health bonus in this room; on Ultra-Violence or higher, there will be three.
- Press the northwest switch in secret #6 to lower part of the mainframe to the east of the hall. After this, press the southern switch, and exit the hallway to the east to find that a large portion of the mainframe has lowered to the floor. Stand on it before it rises, and you can access a rocket on top of one of the lowered sections. (sector 63)
- Directly to the east of secret #7, another rocket can be found on top of the other lowered section. (sector 61) On Hurt Me Plenty or lower, there will be security armor to the east; on Ultra-Violence or higher, there will be a medikit.
- On the walkway west of the giant room filled with water and crates, there is a portion of wall with a large vertical strip through it. Open it to reveal three lost souls and security armor. (sector 109) Be careful when you step onto the pedestal with the armor, as this will activate a crusher directly above you.
- When you exit the giant room full of water and crates, there is a room directly to the west with a light post in one corner. Step onto the higher floor, and an alcove will open to reveal former humans, along with two sets of shells. This alcove counts as a secret. (sector 140)
- Step into secret #10, and then return to the east hallway to find that two sections of the wall have lowered, leading into a room with two sets of shells and a shotgun. (sector 144)
- In the green hallway south of where secrets #10 and #11 are found, open the portion of the east wall with blue triangles on it to find a box of rockets. (sector 171) On Hurt Me Plenty, there will be an armor bonus and a health bonus as well. On Ultra-Violence or higher, an extra health bonus will be added to this room.
- In the same hallway, open the wall with piping on it to find a super shotgun. (sector 181)
- Near the southern portion of the map, there are two large pillars that each have a single health bonus on top of them. Take the lift to the higher floor, and jump to either one of the pillars from the south end, making sure you're standing on the lowered portion of the pillars and not the edges. Both pillars count as a single secret. (sector 188)
- At the northeast of the southern portion of the map, there is a metal room behind bars with a sergeant and two teleport pads. This room counts as a secret. (sector 352) However, it cannot be obtained unless the noclip cheat is used, as there is no other possible way to enter this room.
- A portion of the eastern wall in secret #15 bears piping. It can be opened, leading into a room with a small pedestal bearing nothing. Stepping on this pedestal counts as a secret. (sector 503) Because secret #15 cannot be entered without cheating, though, this secret cannot be obtained without cheating either.
- At the east of the southern portion of the map, there is an outdoor area with a walkway. Downstairs from the walkway is a pool of water, with a switch at the east. Pressing the switch is intended to open a secret door at the south of the walkway, leading to a box of rockets and three health bonuses. (sector 507) However, the switch is set to raise the floor of the door sector instead of the ceiling, meaning this secret can never be accessed unless you activate the noclip cheat.
- At the south end of the map is a cage with a rocket launcher and either a Hell knight (Hurt Me Plenty or lower) or a baron of Hell (Ultra-Violence or higher.) To the south of the room is a window that looks out to two waterfalls, and a fire with a hanging corpse in front of it. Shoot the fire, and the cage will open, allowing the rocket launcher to be accessed. (sector 434)
- Near the south end of the map is a room with a large crack in the floor and a scrolling face wall at the north. A portion of the south wall is misaligned, and can be opened to find security armor. (sector 461)
- At the west of the southern portion of the map, there is a large room with a rocket in the center, and a marble face at the south. Shoot the marble face and an alcove will open to the north, containing a switch. (sector 317)
- Press the switch in secret #20 to open a hole to the southwest, with a switch at the opposite end. Shoot the switch, and an alcove will open to the west of the southern room. Behind it is a stairway leading to an Imp, a set of shells, two switches, and a soul sphere. (sector 490) Press the northern switch to open access to the soul sphere, and press the southern switch to open an exit to the east.
- In the vine-covered hallway at the northwest of the map, one of the torches is green instead of red. Shoot the wall behind it to open a secret door behind you, behind of which is a stimpack, and a stairway leading down to security armor, a rocket, a box of bullets, and security armor. (sector 622)
- Directly behind the yellow key is a section of wall with piping on it. Open it to find a radiation suit. (sector 571)
Because of the great number of Things in this level, attempting to save your game in vanilla Doom II on this level will cause the program to crash.
Although there is a yellow key present, there are no doors in this level that require one.
As three of the secrets cannot be reached due to design errors, only 86% Secrets can be obtained.
Because the three health bonuses in Secret #17 cannot be accessed along with the secret, only 95% items can be obtained in the map.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
Current Compet-n records
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:50||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-01-23||rq12-150.zip|
|NM speed||06:53||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-06-27||rn12-653.zip|
|UV max||09:13||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-07-01||rq12-913.zip|
|UV -fast||11:45||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-07-01||rf121145.zip|
|UV -respawn||09:13||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-07-02||rr12-913.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 6, 2020.
Current DSDA records
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||1:50.60||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-01-23||rq12-150.zip|
|NM speed||6:53.14||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-06-27||rn12-653.zip|
|UV max||6:56.31||Tatsuya Ito (Tatsurd-cacocaco)||2023-03-17||rq12-656.zip|
|UV -fast||11:45.34||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-07-01||rf121145.zip|
|UV -respawn||9:13.57||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-07-02||rr12-913.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on April 16, 2023.
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 21)
- facing south-west. (thing 22)
- facing north. (thing 23)
- facing north. (thing 24)
- facing south. (thing 25)
This level contains the following numbers of things per skill level:
In terms of file size, this level is the largest in Requiem, totaling 724 KB when extracted from the WAD.
Inspiration and development
- MAP12 demos from the Compet-n database: UV speed • NM speed • UV max • NM100S • UV -fast • UV -respawn • UV Tyson • UV pacifist
- MAP12 demos at the Doom Speed Demo Archive