MAP12: Speed (The Plutonia Experiment)
|Plutonia maps 12-20|
Leaving the starting point will cause six imps to raise out of the ground. After passing through the first door go east, fall into the pit and climb the stairs in the north to the yellow skull key. Continue upstairs to a narrow alley from which you can jump to the teleporter pad placed in the huge throne-like structure. Turn north and west through the tunnel, behind the windowed structure that faces the initial door, to the other pit and fall to the platform with the teleporter. This one leads to the yellow key door, behind which is a switch that opens a door south-west of the pit. Return via the same teleporter to that area, then first jump to the red skull key on the big square pedestal from the next higher ledge. Take the elevator up to the south-western part and follow the stairs in the west up and down, to grab the blue skull key from the window sill.
Upon heading back you will be immediately teleported to the south-eastern part of this area with four alcove structures. Each structure contains one button to lower wooden bars in the southernmost area. Jump back in the pit and take the lift again, this time turn south and east to the last large pit. To finish the level you have to press several buttons that raise bridges to get to various sides of the pit and, after all are activated, to reach the exit.
- After getting the yellow skull key and jumping to the teleporter in the throne-like structure, turn south and jump down to a wider tunnel. Halfway this tunnel is a teleporter that takes you to an otherwise unreachable ledge leading to a soul sphere. (sector 32)
- From the south-western part around the western pit, go the gargoyle-faced switch overlooking the pit. Pressing it will open a nearly teleporter that returns to the center of the map, and also one at the top of the stairs that lead to the blue key. Take this teleporter to arrive in a secret area with a combat armor. (sector 77)
- This level cannot be played in deathmatch, because there are no deathmatch starts. This bug is not present in an alternate version of PLUTONIA.WAD found on a specific version of the id Anthology.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
- It is possible to finish the map with a rocket jump combined with an arch-vile jump. The specialty of this trick is that you will die during the performance, but you can land exactly on the exit which is enough to complete the map.
- In the south-western part of the south-eastern pit the switch that makes the bridge leading to the exit can be flipped without raising it from the land. However if you don't know where the switch exactly is, it would be harder to activate it.
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||00:06||Marijo Sedlić (Sedlo)||2002-10-16||pl12-006.zip|
|NM speed||00:10||Tamas Flamich||2008-06-04||pn12-010.zip|
|UV max||04:55||Anders Johnsen||1998-12-30||pl12-455.zip|
|NM100S||01:07||Drew DeVore (stx-Vile)||2003-03-07||ps12-107.zip|
|UV -fast||06:46||Daniel Lindgren (Demonlord)||1997-01-12||pf12-gm.zip|
|UV pacifist||00:37||Casey Alvis (Altima Mantoid)||2003-03-09||pp12-037.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on May 5, 2013.