MAP12: Underground Initiations (BTSX-E1)
|Back to Saturn X E1 maps 09-16|
MAP12: Underground Initiations is the twelfth level of the first episode of Back to Saturn X. It was designed by Travers Dunne and Paul DeBruyne (skillsaw), and uses the music track "Liquid Luck" by James Paddock. The map is divided into several sections, containing a keycard each, which can be tackled in any order; all three keycards are then used to access the final area.
Other points of interest
- Sector 41: Head southwest from the blue key room and past the lift with the box of rockets on it. Press the terminal to open a passage to some ammo overlooking the main hub.
- Sector 174: At the northeast end of the lava-filled area where you can retrieve the red key, there should be a switch in the rocks accessible from the lava. Activate it and run to the lava and back on the platform, going west to an orange wall. This is a teleporter, use it to wind up in an area with a computer area map. From there, use the switch outside, then go back to where the red key is located. At the southwest steps you can now claim a soul sphere.
- Sector 442: Turn left at the open cavern, jump onto the platform, then jump again to the dark alcove. A super shotgun can be found here. See screenshot below for a more detailed description of location.
- Sector 529: The north of the storage area is outdoors. You should come across a plasma rifle as you come to this area. After that is a staircase. At the top of the staircase, activate the wall next to the pillar. You will find a blue armor.
- Sector 774: At the far southern end of the yellow key area where a rocket launcher is on a pad with blue lights, use the lift switch in the northeast corner of this rocky area, but do not go on the lift nearby. Instead, go through the open passage in the southeast, in the dark room will be many monsters as well as some rockets and a megasphere.
- Sector 842: In the storage area in the far south-east of the map, a trap opens to reveal mancubi. The south-east wall of this trap is passable. A BFG9000 can be found in the secret room.
- Sector 1290: Past the hangar door to the south of the blue key, look left towards a stack of crates. Use the large crate with caution stripes to retrieve a berserk pack and an energy cell pack.
Six evil eyes (Things 874, 880, 892, 893, 894 and 896) have no flags set for any of the three difficulty classes, so they do not actually appear in the level. Travers added them to the map to flag areas of Visplane overflow or possible Visplane Overflow visually in the editor.
Areas / screenshots
The records for the map at the Doomed Speed Demos Archive are:
This information was last verified in its entirety on January 20, 2018.