MAP13: Catacombs (Strife)
|Strife levels (13-14 & 20-25)|
Commons and Factory
- 1 Overview
- 2 Walkthrough
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Macil has sent the player to shut down the system that turns peasants into acolytes. After meeting Richter in the commons, the player enters the catacombs to find a key that would give access to the factory where the system is located. In the catacombs, the player will eventually reach the ruined temple and find the key there. After that, he would access the mines and the factory.
The catacombs appear to serve as an underground hub between some of the core locations of the Order. Once the player has entered the catacombs from the Order commons, he is able to open a route to the bailey of the Bishop's fortress down there. In addition, the underground locale has two sealed entrances that can be opened later from the factory. The passages behind them lead to the conversion chapel and the manufacturing.
Finding the temple
Head down the staircase into a large octagonal room. Turn right and right again into a passage - follow the passage past two windows and head into a doorway on the left. Approach the doorway guarded by an acolyte and go through it, then jump through the window ahead to land on a square platform below. Turn left and look down to see a small room below with two medical kits and a switch - drop down and throw this switch to raise another platform nearby.
Turn round and walk round the platform you just raised, then turn right and head up the staircase ahead. Follow the passage and head through a small metal frame (BlackBird will comment about being lost at this point). Turn right and drop off the ledge into a water pool, then turn right again and follow the raised platforms ahead into a tunnel. Follow the tunnel to a set of steps leading to a stream, then turn left and head into a room with torches in the center. Head around the torches to see a chamber with four metal pillars, then throw the switch behind these pillars to lower the water.
Turn round and jump over the wall ahead to land in the lowered water. Turn left and head through the doorway, then climb up the stairs to reach the ruined temple.
Back to the commons
After returning from the temple with the mine and factory keys, head back down the steps and follow the water to a small tunnel leading to a teleporter. Step into this then drop off the ledge, arriving in a room west of the area with the raised platforms. Squeeze between the square pillars and drop to the floor below, then turn left and head up the curved staircase you used earlier. Follow the tunnel ahead all the way to the wall, then turn right and follow the passage to get back to the large octagonal room. Turn left and then left again to find the staircase back to the commons.
Other points of interest
To the north-west of the octagonal starting area, there is a room where a mini-missile launcher can be found. When you enter the staircase that leads to the room, you will temporarily open a door to the south of the weapon. Enter the chamber beyond the door and use the teleporter to reach a nearby station that holds a surgery kit.
Apart from the ruined temple, this level connects with hidden passages in three Order-controlled areas:
- At the north end of the level is a stream leading to a metal barrier. Throw the switch opposite the gate to open the barrier, then follow the square platforms north to a staircase. Climb it to return to the bailey, near the entrance to the Bishop's tower.
- From the large octagonal room, go into the north-eastern doorway then turn left and right to find a barrier that cannot be opened from this side. This area connects with a hidden passage in the north-west corner of the factory's manufacturing wing.
- In the south-east corner of the level is a set of metal bars that can only be opened from the inside. This connects with a tunnel hidden in the northern-most room of the conversion chapel.
There are no official secrets in this level.
Areas / screenshots
Stalkers are a common threat in the area.
This level contains seventeen spawn points:
- facing west. (thing 214)
- facing south-west. (thing 215)
- facing north. (thing 216)
- facing west. (thing 217)
- facing south-west. (thing 218)
- facing north-east. (thing 219)
- facing north. (thing 220)
- facing north. (thing 221)
- facing west. (thing 222)
- facing west. (thing 223)
- facing south-west. (thing 226)
- facing east. (thing 227)
- facing south. (thing 228)
- facing north. (thing 229)
- facing south-west. (thing 230)
- facing north. (thing 231)
- facing north. (thing 328)