MAP13: Hard Facility (Plutonia 2)
|Plutonia 2 maps 12-20|
MAP13: Hard Facility is the thirteenth map of Plutonia 2. It was designed by Fredrik Johansson, Adolf Vojta (Gusta) and Sam Woodman (Metabolist) and uses the music track "Donna to the Rescue" by Robert Prince. The par time defined in MAPINFO is 2:30.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Open the door at the start, killing former humans and imps. Open the next door and kill the shotgun guy, then open the door behind him. From here, you should make your way to the cross-shaped walkway to the north, which you can get to by following the red floors going northeast. It is a good idea to take out any monsters you meet along the way, to save you from any trouble. Also, open the UAAF door you see right when you enter the area and climb the crates to the right to retrieve a super shotgun.
When you reach the cross-shaped walkway, go to either side of it and jump either northwest or northeast, to a ledge with imps. Go around and up the steps to retrieve the red keycard. Backtrack now to the door that lead you to this area and then open the UAAF door again. There is a red switch in this area, press it and the switch behind it. A wall of cacodemons opens up nearby, while a bridge rises to the north allowing you to cross. On the other side, press the big skull switch and a platform will rise up to the east of the cross-shaped walkway. You can then go on the cross-shaped walkway and jump east to the next red door. Open it to find a rough crowd of enemies. After killing them, you will notice another red door to your right. Ignore this one and walk around the outer walkway, past the blue bars, to the next door. Open this door and head left, killing anyone in your way. Open the UAAF door and take the first door you see which is on the right. The next enclave has a window showing the area with the yellow keycard. To lower the key, flip the switch on the wall, then backtrack two rooms. There will be a wall of chaingunners to your left, so kill them and head through their chamber to reach the yellow key area where you can grab the key. Look out for the ambush, then open the yellow door in the northwest. Climb the steps, looking out for shotgun guys and imps behind you, then open the next door. You will reappear in the room east of the cross-shaped walkway, but now you can jump to the teleporter in the center.
The teleporter takes you behind the blue bars, so open either door and kill the enemies before the bridge leading northeast. At the other end are two more doors. For now, the one to the right needs the blue key, so take the left one. In the large storage room, make your way to the left side and climb the crates up and you will find the blue skull key. Now go back to the blue door and open it, killing the monsters in the next hallway. In the room that follows, there is a switch at the top of some steps. Flip it, and the two side doors next to the steps open up, revealing imps. Head through either one and kill the arch-vile guarding the next switch, which lowers the blue bars blocking your exit as well as the ones back in the room you teleported into.
Upon leaving the area, watch out for new monsters as you make your way back southwest. In the southern part of the map, you might have noticed some blue markings. This is the final area you need to go to. Look out for monsters that pop up when you approach this place, and kill anyone across the bars when you can. Press the nearby switch and the switch behind it, and you will have to contend with a few teleporting enemies that will proceed to surround you. After fending them off, head for the exit in this area, looking out for two arch-viles that come in when you reach the exit platform. Grab the megasphere in the back too if you need health.
Other points of interest
- In the room with the red keycard drop down to the ground, go to the southeastern corner and push the switch on the balcony's eastern wall. Go through the white teleporter to get back to the balcony. In the area right south of the balcony a platform with a soul sphere has lowered. (sector 320)
- From the blue key-lock area, head north and you will be outside a window with several large windows. Enter this building from the southeast to open a door upstairs containing a soul sphere. (sector 66) The door will close on you as you try to approach it. There are two ways to get this soul sphere:
- Walk out the window right behind you with the door closed. Strafe run up the stairs, so that you trigger the door to open, but also that you cross the closing trigger before the door is fully opened. If you are successful, the door will remain open and you can enter the room with the soul sphere.
- The alternative way is simpler, but requires visiting other areas. Trigger the door to open and leave the hallway through the southeastern window again, thus leaving the door opened and simply teleport next to it without closing the door: On the plasma gun balcony (see secret #3) open the western wall to find a white teleporter. Use it to reach the soul sphere.
- After opening the door with the red keycard and walking all the way around the elevated walkway through another small door, turn left. On the left is a highlighted wall with pipes on it. Open it to be teleported to a plasma gun and a medikit. (sector 333) The red teleporter leads to two bullet boxes and a box of shotgun shells, along with two chaingunners. Push the wall with a lightning bolt on it next to the shell box to open up a shortcut back to the hallway where you found the first teleporter.
- In the room in the north part of the map with many stacked crates, walk to the top of the stack in the southwestern corner (on the way to the blue skull key). Turn around and run onto the crate with a squarish light in the middle, then run to the box on the right to get a soul sphere. (sector 433)
If played in cooperative, this level may become impossible to finish. If one of the players crosses the trigger behind the blue door (Linedef 2284) which makes the blue skull marked bars behind him to close, and dies inside that room, the level will become impossible to finish due to the only trigger to reopen the bars is a switch in a room following the blue key door (Linedef 2635).
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed||0:25.74||Karim El-Sheikh (Kimo Xvirus)||2009-03-04||p213-025.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on June 2, 2022.
|UV speed TAS||0:21.60||Light_Speed||2012-01-20||p213x021ls.zip|
|First Demo Attempt||40:20||Memfis||2011-02-04||pl2mem13.zip||Final time of 26:39|
The data was last verified in its entirety on January 14, 2022.
This level contains six spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 25)
- facing east. (thing 174)
- facing west. (thing 175)
- facing south. (thing 379)
- facing south. (thing 380)
- facing south-west. (thing 642)
Inspiration and development
- During development this map was called The Hunter.