MAP13: The Inmost Dens II (Memento Mori)
|Memento Mori maps 11-20|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
- Letters in italics refer to marked spots on the map. Sector numbers in boldface are secrets which count toward the end-of-level tally.
You will start on a damaging floor. From the start, kill the enemies here and open the wooden wall at your starting point to find a switch. Press it, head back into the building and to the lift to the north which has just lowered. When it rises up, open the door on the left side to find a hell knight and a switch. Hitting this switch lowers the red key platform visible from the window. Get out of the room and press the switch near the door to trigger a lift to your right. Go down to find a spectre and a switch. Hit this one and ride back up. Now leave this building via the west door and head outside. To get the red key, you need to raise some steps and a bridge to it. Go east, and head for the path that branches east (this path is open because of the switch you pressed where the spectre was. Enter the building here, and exercise caution when you pick up the super shotgun, because you will be attacked by revenants when you pick it up. Head towards the east end of the building and you will notice a switch here. Flip it to lower the wall behind you, but watch out for the barons of hell. Grab the chainsaw and the ground will lower, surrounding you with demons and spectres. The switch on the gray wall in front will raise the staircase to the key. Now exit this building (press the lion head to leave the area that had the barons) and head for the building northeast of the key. The entrance is on the northern side. Flip the switch in here to lower a wall revealing a set of steps. Get up there, but watch out for shotgun guys as you flip the next switch. Run to the lift behind you, take it up, and enter the hell knight's pen to another switch. Pressing it raises a bridge to the key, so get the key now.
South of where the key was located, there are red bars blocking the next passage. Press the lion switch near those bars to open them, and head through into the second part of the map. The first building you come across requires the yellow key, so go past that to the north, around the rocks past the blue switch. Head up the stairs on the western part of the map, looking out for an ambush of chaingunners. From the top of the ledge, jump to the hall that has the blue key. Backtrack to the blue switch you passed along the way and hit it to reveal another blue switch. Hit this one to lower the bars behind you. Approach the two doors and they will open, but you will have to fight arch-viles to get the yellow skull key. If the door closes here, press the switch behind the pentagram to open it, then head back to the building that requires the yellow door. Enter the seemingly empty building and go straight, hitting the switch that appears at the end. When you do, look out for imps and barons of hell in cages. Also look out for demons who teleport onto the pentagram on the floor. You may notice that bars will block you from leaving the room, and to open them, press on the southern ledge that has candles on it to find some goodies and a switch. Head towards the open exit, but you are not quite done yet. Several chaingunners and mancubi will appear, and you will have to fend them off because the real exit is blocked off by bars for thirty seconds.
Other points of interest
- On grabbing the chainsaw next to the switch raising the stairs to the red skull key, the floor lowers, revealing an ambush of demons and spectres. Open the faded brick wall in the southwest of the hallway where they were waiting to find three (on easy), four (on medium) or five (on hard skill levels) lost souls, four sets of shells, four clips, three rockets, four energy cells and four stimpacks (sector 460).
- At the north of the plasma gun building, walk onto the first step to the west. Immediately run to the east of the building and drop into the newly-revealed hole to enter the former humans' corridor (sector 458), containing a berserk pack.
- In the room with the blue armor southeast of the plasma gun building, open the center portion of the eastern wall to find a stairway leading to the lost souls' cage (sector 427) south of the rocket launcher building, containing a soul sphere and two lost souls.
At the southwest side of the building east of the red key, there is a section of wall (linedef 297) with linedef type 127 (build stairs by 16 map units, fast, switch-activated once) tagged to the nearby, yet to be built staircase, even though it has no switch texture, and a switch with an identical type and tag is found at the very east of the map. This may likely have been a debug switch, meant to test if the stairs would build as intended, that the author forgot to remove before the megawad's release.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||03:37||Oyvind Stenhaug||2002-04-22||mm13-337.zip|
|NM speed||05:33||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2007-01-13||mm13n533.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on March 22, 2014.