MAP13: Vesperas (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
Master Levels episode
MAP13: Vesperas is the thirteenth map of PlayStation Final Doom, and the thirteenth and final map of the Master Levels episode. It is based on the PC version of MAP09: Vesperas from the Master Levels for Doom II, with modifications to accommodate the PlayStation's framerate and memory limitations and add enhancements such as colored lighting. It uses the music track "Sanity's Edge".
After completing this level, the player is congratulated for beating "the most vicious realms that the demented minds of our designers could devise", before being sent to the first level of the TNT episode, MAP14: System Control.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
In the starting room, open the west door and follow the brick path west to a wooden door. Instead of opening this door, enter the small alcove to the north and press use on the metal wall to lower a lift. Follow the corridor west and north, then west through a pair of bars to an outdoor area with sludge. Run across the platforms to the opposite side of the pit, kill the enemies that appear in front of you, then drop into the sludge and enter the teleporter to get back up to the room entrance. Walk carefully along the narrow ledge on the south-east wall until you reach an open alcove containing monsters. Press the lit switch in front of you to reveal the yellow keycard and take it.
Return to the previous room and head north through some yellow bars, dropping into a room with star-shaped lights. Go east to exit the room; the wall behind you will lower to reveal the red keycard on a raised platform. Approach the yellow bars to the east and the floor below you will drop - kill the enemy that tries to ambush you from the north, then press the switch on the south wall. This will temporarily lower the ledge with the red keycard; go west and take it before the ledge rises again.
Go east through the switch and yellow bars and climb the staircase. At the top, go north and open the red door, dropping into a large chamber with a star-shaped floor. Press the switch by the south wall to lower the ledge with the blue keycard, then go north and pick it up. Some bars will rise in front of the lift; ignore them and activate the lift in the south wall so you can leave the room.
Return to the starting room and open the blue door, then press the switch behind it to finish the level.
Other points of interest
- In the sludge pool below the yellow keycard, walk through the nukage-fall in the north-east fall (sector 62) and enter the teleporter behind it. The teleporter leads to a room with a medikit.
- The alcove that contains the yellow keycard counts as a secret and is impossible to miss because that key is required in this level. (sector 153)
Comparison of versions
- An alcove south-east of the starting room, which holds various monsters that teleport in, is removed.
- The north-east alcove in the red keycard chamber, containing a baron of Hell, is removed.
- The south-east alcove in the blue keycard chamber, containing a cyberdemon or barons of Hell, is removed.
- All switches use a gargoyle face on metal wall texture (SW1GARG).
- The staircases in the starting room have fewer steps.
- The teleporter in the pit below the yellow keycard is moved to the south-west corner. This may have been done to stop the player entering it by accident when walking along the narrow ledge to the keycard.
- There are fewer metal pillars on the curved ledge behind the blue keycard.
- On taking the blue keycard, only five bars rise to block the exit.
- Revenants are removed without replacement.
- The level's only pain elemental, found in the western area of the level on Ultra Violence skill level (UV), is removed without replacement.
- The level's only mancubus, found in the eastern area of the level, is removed without replacement.
- Most chaingunners are replaced with shotgun guys. A chaingunner at the window overlooking the west side of the courtyard area is replaced with a Hell knight, and two chaingunners overlooking the nukage pit near the yellow keycard are removed without replacement.
- Barons of Hell are replaced with Hell knights, except the baron protecting the rocket launcher on the western side of the level on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) or UV which is removed without replacement.
- A shotgun guy at the window overlooking the east side of the courtyard area is replaced with a Hell knight.
- One of the imps guarding the super shotgun in the north-east corner of the level is replaced with a Hell knight on HMP/UV.
- After crossing the platforms over the nukage pit on the west side of the level, the wall in front of you disappears to reveal a single imp on HMP/UV.
- The arch-vile, baron of Hell and cacodemons in the red keycard chamber are replaced with Hell knights.
- Only two cacodemons are hiding outside the blue keycard room instead of three on HMP/UV. Only one cacodemon appears instead of two on I am a Wimp/Not Too Rough (IAAW/NTR).
- The hidden alcove in the blue keycard room contains three cacodemons, three Hell knights and one demon on HMP/UV. Only one cacodemon is present here on IAAW/NTR.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing east. (thing 74)
- facing east. (thing 86)
- facing west. (thing 88)
- facing north. (thing 90)
- facing north. (thing 135)