MAP14: Aquaduct (Memento Mori)
|Memento Mori maps 11-20|
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
Grab the supplies and head into the cave watching out for monsters to the right. If you are playing in single player, make sure you grab the chaingun in the niche here. Keep going through the cave into the large open area. Climb the first set of stairs to the switch and press it. Run as fast as you can up the next set of steps and go for the left stair set next to the red door. From there, run down the steps to the door before it closes. In the next hallway, head to the next door and press the switch next to it to open it. In the hallway with columns, head down both side paths and press the switches to lower the walls in the middle. Grab the blue skull key, and look out for teleporting monsters as you head back. Press the other switch in the hallway to return to the big area, then head through the blue door which is to the right of the red door. Here, you will see red bars to the east, so go down the passage left of it upstairs to the next door. Enter the next room, but turn around as a switch appears behind you. Hit it to lower the red skull key platform, but look out for more teleporting enemies in the area. Return to the red bars you saw and press the switch next to them to open them. Now, if you grabbed the chaingun in the niche earlier, there will be a nearby switch which opens the red door at the top of the stairs. If you did not get the chaingun, get it now, because the switch will be in a further position closer to the plasma gun, and the door does not stay open long. Press the switch and run through the red door before it closes to be in the final area. Here, a cyberdemon guards the exit along with an arachnotron and cacodemons. Kill them, then flip the switch opposite of the cyberdemon platform to get some stairs to the exit door.
Other points of interest
- The metal wall to the east of the pedestal on which the red skull key sits is misaligned. Open this wall to find a soul sphere (sector 298).
- In the room with the metal pillars before the blue skull key, press on the second pillar from the east in the southern row. It will lower to reveal a soul sphere.
- Unlike other levels in the megawad, skill levels are not implemented in this level at all. The gameplay is the same across all difficulty settings.
- If the player grabs the chaingun at the beginning of the level (or at least enters the inset it rests in), he triggers first (Linedef 1754; Action: 110 - W1 Door Close (fast), Tag 2) sector 301 to block the original switch (Linedef 1127; Action: 114 - SR Door Open Wait Close (fast), Tag 15) that opens the way to the exit room, then (Linedef 1771; Action: 109 - W1 Door Open Stay (fast), Tag 7) sector 302 to reveal a new switch (Linedef 1769; Action: 114 - SR Door Open Wait Close (fast), Tag 15) with the same function. (It is possible to close the original switch and leave the new switch blocked by slightly entering the chaingun's inset on its eastern half.)
The new switch is much closer to door that it opens for a short time, making the process of reaching that room much easier. In fact, it is possible to reach the exit room without grabbing the chaingun, but it is so difficult, that this has to be considered a single-player bug.
In multiplayer, blue torches are blocking the chaingun alcove, so the original switch has to be used.
- There is deathmatch player spawn (Thing 13) in the alcove where the BFG9000 rests (sector 99). Leaving or entering (through the passable grid) this alcove triggers (Linedef 560; Action: 2 - W1 Door Open Stay, Tag 17) two walls to lower:
Sector 214 (at the regular map start location right north of the four backpacks) that reveals the megasphere and sector 210 that opens a teleporter alcove nearby the plasma gun. This teleporter's destination is that BFG9000 alcove.
Thus, the megasphere and the BFG can only be obtained in deathmatch, resulting in only 75% of the items being collectible. (Unless using the idclip cheat or abnormally jumping up 200 map units into that alcove. Entering player-jump-power 19 in Doomsday's console allows the player to jump at that height. Default is player-jump-power 9.)
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
The switch that lowers the red key pedestal can be triggered before it is raised. Stand below the center of the eastern skylight in the hall before the red key room, and flip the switch from the east.
The Compet-N records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:01||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-01-22||mm14-101.zip|
|NM speed||01:38||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-01-22||mm14n138.zip|
|NM100S||01:38||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2006-01-22||mm14n138.zip|
|UV -fast||05:41||Tomas Kollar (DeDo)||2003-08-26||mm14f541.zip|
|UV -respawn||05:59||Casey Alvis (Altima Mantoid)||2002-05-19||mm14r559.zip|
|UV pacifist||01:18||Erik Alm||2002-05-01||mm14p118.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on March 23, 2014.
This level contains four spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 11)
- facing north-west. (thing 13)
- facing east. (thing 82)
- facing west. (thing 185)