MAP14: Steel Works (TNT: Evilution)
|TNT: Evilution maps 12-20|
MAP14: Steel Works is the fourteenth map of TNT: Evilution. It was designed by Robin Patenall. It uses the music track "Cold Subtleness" (unofficial title) by Jonathan El-Bizri exclusive to this level.
You start in a courtyard. The exit teleporter is next to you, but is blocked by red bars. Head to the southwest corner of the courtyard and pick up the yellow keycard. Proceed to the northeast corner of the courtyard with a "double wide" door. Flip the switch next to it and enter the room.
You are now in a room with two blood waterfalls and crushers. Prepare for an onslaught of zombiemen, as well as some imps in the recessed tunnels on each side of the room. Head to the back of the room and proceed through the tunnel into another, similar looking room, also populated by more zombiemen. Once again, head to the back of the room and open the yellow door. Do note that this door requires the red key to open from the other side - until you get it, you cannot return to the earlier parts of the level (unless you use a secret area).
Follow the curving hallway to a new room with a blood pool. Take care of the former humans, especially the two chaingunners behind the bars. Turn left into a curved passage and follow the passage to its end, then turn left and descend into the room ahead.
You should now be in a large room with five large raised vats of blood. Look for the crusher in the northeast corner of the room. Go around it to the northeast corner of the room to collect a radiation suit. With the suit active, lower the platform in front of the northeast crusher, ride it up, and run to the opening at the far end. Lower the piped wall ahead and ride it up like a lift. Follow the tunnel to its end to get the blue key.
Retrace your steps to the large room with vats of blood, but do be careful as the crusher over the blood vat you ran across has now been activated. Proceed to the west of the room and activate the blue switch to unlock the bars blocking access to the western blood vat. Lower the platform in front of it, ride it up and run across to the other side.
You will end up in another zombiemen-infested room. Turn right, then left, to find a staircase at the back of the room. Proceed to the top, then turn right.
By this time, your radiation suit will have run out, and you are faced with a maze of pillars over a damaging lava floor. Not all the gaps between pillars can be walked through, Lost Souls in the area will block your paths, and every second on that floor will deplete your health. The fastest way to head through the maze is:
- From the entrance, go past the first thin pillar and immediately turn right and proceed to the south wall of the maze.
- Hug the south wall, moving east.
- The first time a pillar blocks your way, go around it and continue hugging the wall.
- The second time a pillar blocks your way, go north and then continue going east.
- The third time a pillar blocks your way, go north and then east. The exit switch-door should be in sight.
Open the switch-door, proceed around the C-shaped hallway and grab the red key. However, grabbing the red key will open two large traps in the room, and unleash arachnotrons (on Hurt me plenty and lower) or a Spiderdemon (on Ultra-Violence and higher) in the starting courtyard. Grab a radiation suit from the western trap and prepare to backtrack.
You must now backtrack through the level, all the way back to the start where the exit teleporter is. Do note that the following traps have opened in the previously visited rooms:
- A chaingunner at the top of the stairs leading to the pillar maze (Ultra-Violence and above only)
- Two large traps in the T-shaped room before the pillar maze
- Six traps in the room with five blood vats
- One trap in the middle of the U-shaped hallway at the east of the map
- One chaingunner in a newly revealed alcove overlooking the blood pool in the east of the map (Ultra-Violence and above only)
- One large trap in the west wall of the eastern bloodfall room
- One large trap in the east wall of the western bloodfall room
Retrace your steps back to the northwest corner of the courtyard and kill/avoid the arachnotrons/spiderdemon. Activate the switch and step into the exit teleporter to complete the level.
- Just east of the starting area are two nearly identical rooms with rivulets of blood and two small crushers on raised platforms each. There is a hallway running between these two rooms. Starting from the eastern room, run through the hallway and into the western room. A lift leading up to the southern crusher will have temporarily lowered straight ahead. Once up, cross to the other side by running under the crushers and over the gap, and you will arrive on a blue-floored lift taking you down into a secret tunnel. (sector 89)
- In the southern part of the map, there is a room with five large raised vats of blood underneath huge crushers. Ride the lift up to the northwestern one and run to the back of it. About halfway there, the wall in front of you will open, revealing a secret passage leading back to the starting area. (sector 58)
- Back in the room with the five vats, ride the lift up to the southwestern one, but this time shoot the center of the back wall rather than running to it. This will open a secret room in the southwest corner of this area containing a rocket launcher. (sector 223)
- Still in the room with five vats, ride the lift up to the southeastern one and shoot the center of this back wall as well. This opens a wall in the southeastern corner of the room with a switch behind it. The switch opens a secret area later in the level. After you have passed the area with several bleeding pillars and Lost Souls a bit further on, you will come across an inverted "C"-shaped corridor. About halfway through you will see the ground is sunken - this was caused by the switch you hit earlier on. The area down below, which contains a soul sphere amongst other goodies, counts as a secret. (sector 276)
Areas / screenshots
A lost soul.
Routes and tricks
Current Compet-n records
The Compet-n records for the map are:
|UV speed||01:33||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-08-04||ev14-133.zip|
|NM speed||02:53||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-03-28||tn14-253.zip|
|UV max||05:01||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2005-02-05||ev14-501.zip|
|NM100S||05:20||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2003-07-06||es14-520.zip|
|UV -fast||06:56||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-10-12||ef14-656.zip|
|UV -respawn||06:18||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2002-03-26||er14-618.zip|
|UV pacifist||03:12||Jim Leonard (Xit Vono)||2008-03-17||ep14-312.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on July 5, 2020.
Current DSDA records
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV max||4:12.17||Kyle McAwesome||2021-04-18||ev14-412.zip|
|NM 100S||3:20.63||Jean-Charles Dorne (JCD)||2022-09-25||es14-320.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on October 4, 2022.
This level contains ten spawn points:
- facing north. (thing 29)
- facing south. (thing 33)
- facing west. (thing 34)
- facing east. (thing 35)
- facing north. (thing 36)
- facing east. (thing 37)
- facing west. (thing 38)
- facing west. (thing 39)
- facing south. (thing 40)
- facing west. (thing 41)