MAP14: System Control (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
|Master Levels episode|
MAP14: System Control is the fourteenth map of PlayStation Final Doom and is the first level of the TNT episode. It is based on the PC version of System Control which was originally designed by Tom Mustaine. Changes for the PlayStation port were authored by Tim Heydelaar. It uses the music track "Hell's Churn".
Enter the door in front of you. Kill the three zombiemen in front of you (as well as an imp on Hurt Me Plenty skill level or higher) and go north through the hallway until you arrive at a third room with a raised walkway. Kill the demon, two zombiemen and imp in this room (plus two more imps on HMP or higher), then activate the switch on the west wall to raise some stairs and climb up them. Follow the walkway round and approach the exit door, which will open a section of wall behind you. Go through this doorway to an outdoor area, kill the imps (on HMP or higher) in front of the switch and flip it.
Go back inside and head back down the stairs towards the starting area - in the room immediately after the starting area, you will see that an alcove has opened containing the blue keycard. Take it and kill the chaingunner behind you, or two on HMP or higher, then retrace your steps to the exit door which you can now open. Kill the imp behind the door and flip the switch. The floor will lower to reveal another room. Kill the two shotgun guys in front of you, then flip the switch on the west wall to raise the bars. Kill the two imps and two shotgun guys (replaced by two chaingunners on Ultra Violence skill level) and hit the northern switch to exit the level.
Other points of interest
The starting room contains a berserk pickup right near the door. While not required to finish the map, it makes getting through it easier, as you can easily take down the enemies in your path without using up ammo.
In the second room, you may climb up the eastern stairs to find armor, guarded by an imp.
Also in the second room, you can enter the western door, which leads to another room with a trio of zombiemen, plus two imps on HMP or higher. You will also see two computer pillars which have switches on their north sides. The switch on the northern pillar opens an alcove containing a box of shells. On HMP or higher, this alcove will also contain two imps, two stimpacks and a megaarmor. The switch on the southern pillar opens the way to the secret below.
Opening the alcove containing the blue key also opens a second alcove in the same room, which contains one chaingunner on all skill levels and two on HMP or higher. Their alcove also contains two medikits.
In the final room, there are five armor bonuses sitting in front of a metal wall. Open the wall behind them and you will find a hidden teleporter back to the security armor tower. However, this does not count as a secret.
When you approach the exit switch, the platforms either side of you which held shotgun guys or chaingunners will lower, allowing you to pick up their weapons for more ammo.
- In the western room with the two computer pillars, press the button on the southern pillar to open a door leading outside to the east.(sector 64) Head out to find a stimpack, an imp (or three imps on HMP or higher), and a shotgun.
Comparison of versions
- All switches use a red/green LED on metal wall texture (SW1MET2).
- Numerous sectors used to create different light levels in the starting room were removed, so the starting room now has a single light level throughout. The room is also slightly larger.
- The stone walls visible through the windows of the starting room were changed to green-brown textures.
- There are two sets of ceiling lights in the second room instead of one.
- The plinth holding the armor pickup has a silver floor instead of blue.
- A dark area west of the tower containing the armor is removed.
- The green metal walls in the hallway connecting the second and third rooms have blue triangles instead of lights.
- A brightly-lit sector east of the exit door is removed
- A hidden sector is added by the exit switch, which contains an erroneous EXITDOOR texture.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains five spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 10)
- facing south. (thing 12)
- facing south-west. (thing 18)
- facing south. (thing 34)
- facing south. (thing 50)
Inspiration and development
This level is shown during the second demo rotation demonstrating the PSX mouse usage. The demo ends after the player is killed by one of the chaingunners guarding the keycard.