MAP15: City Heat (Community Chest 2)
|Community Chest 2 maps 12-20|
MAP15: City Heat is the fifteenth map of Community Chest 2. It was designed by Stephen "The Ultimate DooMer" Clark, and uses the music track "miditekk.mid" from the game Al Unser Jr. Arcade Racing, composed by Frédéric "Moby" Motte. It is a non-linear level set inside of a large city; the objective is to find nine switches within the buildings that will open the way to the exit. It makes use of various special effects, including multiple bridges, many fake slopes, and waves.
This level contains a secret exit leading to MAP31: Idée Fixe.
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Areas / screenshots
- 3 Speedrunning
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 See also
- 10 Sources
- 11 External links
There are nine buildings that must be entered to finish the level. All of them can be dealt with in any order. The buildings are numbered in red. Each building contains a corresponding switch, numbered in green. As you flip each switch, a green number lights up outside the exit, and one of the doors there opens. Once all nine doors are open, you can reach the exit.
The following walkthroughs take a ground route when possible. Some of the buildings can also be reached by bridges from other buildings, at the player's option.
- This building is located east of the fountain. Enter it, go through the northern door, and climb up any of the northern stairways to the "1" switch.
- You will find this at the northeast of the map. Walk in, ascend the northwest staircase, and cross the bridge, opening the door on the other side. Head through the east door, enter the northeast room via either door. Use either switch to ride the lift down. Go west along the walkway to find the "2" switch. (You cannot reach the water.)
- This building is at the east of the map, directly south of Building 2. Once you are inside, go to the southeast, and use either red switch to lower a lift. Ride the lift up, cross the bridge, go through the door, and loop around to your right (west and then north). Head west through the door, to an outdoor bridge. Open the door on the other side to find a mancubus and a "3" switch.
- You can find this one at the southeast of the level, directly east of where you start. Enter, walk up the inclined floor to either side, go around the central wall, and back to the middle. The "4" switch is on the north side of the central wall.
- This one is directly north of where you start, at the south of the map. Make sure you are equipped with a strong enough arsenal before you enter it. Go in, clear the enemies inside, and climb the northern stairway. Head outside, and press the switch in the middle of the north face of the wall. Back inside, three of the metal pillars will open to reveal Hell knights; the central pillar will open to unveil a cyberdemon (on Hurt Me Plenty or higher). Once they are all dead, move to the center and hit the "5" switch.
- You will find this building at the southwest of the map, west of where you begin. Enter it, and climb up to the balcony on its northern side. Head downstairs at that location to find a "6" switch. Press it, but be careful, for the access points from the balcony away from the building will be sealed off (although the eastern door can still be opened,) and the walls at the south of the lower floor will open to reveal enemies. Push the switches at the southeast of the lower level to re-enable these access points.
- This building is located southwest of the fountain, north of the red brick tower, and south of Building 9. Head in, climb the stairs, open the door, go past the rotating light, and through the next door. Turn left, and open the next door at the northeast of the room. Enter and climb the stairs, turning left/north, to the "7" switch.
- This is the most northwest building in the city. Enter it, and grab any one of the radiation suits before climbing into either one of the rectangular silver nukage wells. You will especially need the suits here, as your speed of movement is drastically reduced while you are standing in the damaging sludge. Make your way through the sewage tunnels to the large room at the west. The metal pillars are stairways; climb up any one, and cross the bridge to the "8" switch. Watch out for the ambush the switch triggers. Grab another rad suit here for the return trip, back out the way you came.
- This building is found northwest of the fountain, east of Building 8. Go in, climb the U-shaped staircase, head outside, and hit the "9" switch at the east of the building.
Once all of the green switches have been triggered, head to the building north of the city. The passage on the left/gray/western half will have opened, revealing the exit teleporter.
Other points of interest
Whenever ten minutes pass, a large batch of enemies will teleport into the city. The first batch contains cacodemons, Hell knights, and revenants. The second group consists of the same monsters, along with mancubi and arachnotrons. The final batch is comprised of these same monsters, plus a few cyberdemons (only one on Hey, Not Too Rough or lower) and a spider mastermind.
Every building also contains a switch numbered in blue, hidden in a secret area. Similar to the normal exit, flipping a secret switch lights up a blue number next to the secret exit, and opens a door. Once all nine blue numbers are lit, the passage to the secret exit will be open.
- North of the pillar the rocket launcher sits on is a lion head switch; press it. The pillars around you will lower like lifts, but so will a section of wall northeast of the building. Quickly climb up the stairs, and ascend the hidden lift. Run south across the top of the wall, and drop to the platform south of it (sector 1005) to find a soul sphere and a "1" switch.
- Get on the stationary metal ridge along the edge of the conveyor belt (whether by climbing onto it from any of the small crates, or jumping down to it from the bridge). Walk to where the conveyor exits the building. Look closely at inside of the southwest wall, and you will notice very tiny stairs. Climb these steps to the top of the nearby crate stack (sector 1237) to discover another soul sphere, and a "2" switch.
- Take any of the lifts up, cross the bridge, go through the door, and loop around to your right (west and then north). Go east through the door, into the room in the middle. Use the computer at the east end of the room, then backtrack to the room just after the bridge. The east wall will have lowered, revealing a soul sphere, and a "3" switch (sector 1426).
- In the the center, behind the middle wall, look south toward the chainsaw. The bricks of the wall behind it has a different texture than the others. Press on the wall, and it will suddenly lower to unveil yet another soul sphere, along with a "4" switch (sector 1573).
- Climb the southern stairway, and stand in the western opening to the balcony. Look back into into the room, to the northeast corner, just below the ceiling. You will find a button built high within the wall. Shoot it, and the pillar nearby will open to reveal another soul sphere, as well as a "5" switch (sector 1588).
- At the northwest of the lower level you will find a square panel sticking out of the floor. Walk over it; this is a touch-plate, and it will cause the wall in the southwest to lower, unveiling a soul sphere and a "6" switch (sector 1773).
- When climbing the stairs to the green "7" switch, instead turn right/south. Examine the blocks the bulk cells sit on, and you will notice one side of the northeast block is gray instead of brown. Press on it, backtrack to the rotating light, and look to the northwest of the room to find a passageway (sector 1905) with yet another soul sphere, and the "7" switch.
- Make your way to the end of the slime tunnel at the northeast, and the bars looking out on the water. There is a "Poison" sign here. Unlike the rest of the tunnels, there is only one sign, rather than two of them facing one another. Press on the wall where the other sign should be, and it will open. Climb in, and slowly edge your way out until you land on a small platform below you. Jump to the walkway (sector 2246) at the east to find another soul sphere and an "8" switch. Be careful not to fall down into the sludge/water, as you cannot get back out.
- From the intermediate landing on the U-shaped staircase, jump west into the small, northwest alcove. The west wall here is fake; you will end up discovering a soul sphere, along with the "9" switch (sector 2337).
Once all of the blue switches have been triggered, head to the building north of the city. The passage on the right/brown/eastern half will have opened, revealing the teleporter for the secret exit.
With PrBoom, the monsters teleport when they run across the bridges, and they can get stuck here.
Areas / screenshots
Routes and tricks
As you are required to wait three ten-minute periods for many monsters to warp in, obtaining 100% Kills on this level will take over half an hour.
The records for the map at the Doom Speed Demo Archive are:
|UV speed (normal exit)|
|UV speed (secret exit)||3:59.94||Brian Nesser (Anima Zero)||2005-03-10||c215s-359.zip||Newer versions of PRBoom desync without the -emulate 2.2.4 parameter|
|NM speed (normal exit)|
|NM speed (secret exit)|
|UV max||31:56.14||Dylan Gill (TheV1perK1ller)||2017-06-05||c215-3156.zip|
|UV pacifist (normal exit)|
|UV pacifist (secret exit)|
|NoMo (normal exit)||3:27.06||Doomdaniel95||2010-12-24||c215o327.zip|
The data was last verified in its entirety on June 3, 2022.
This level contains twenty spawn points:
- facing south. (thing 54)
- facing north. (thing 55)
- facing north. (thing 56)
- facing north. (thing 57)
- facing north. (thing 58)
- facing north. (thing 59)
- facing east. (thing 60)
- facing north. (thing 61)
- facing south. (thing 62)
- facing north. (thing 63)
- facing south. (thing 64)
- facing west. (thing 65)
- facing east. (thing 66)
- facing north. (thing 67)
- facing south. (thing 68)
- facing south. (thing 69)
- facing north. (thing 70)
- facing east. (thing 71)
- facing north. (thing 72)
- facing south. (thing 73)