MAP15: Human Barbeque (PlayStation Final Doom)
|PlayStation Final Doom maps|
|Master Levels episode|
MAP15: Human Barbeque is the fifteenth map of PlayStation Final Doom and is the second map of TNT episode. It is based on MAP02: Human BBQ of TNT: Evilution as a slightly renamed map conversion. Changes for the PlayStation port were authored by Tim Heydelaar. It uses the music track "Digitized Pain".
- 1 Walkthrough
- 2 Comparison of versions
- 3 Areas / screenshots
- 4 Deathmatch
- 5 Statistics
- 6 Technical information
- 7 Inspiration and development
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
Go north-east past the human barbeque and press use on the metal barrier to lower it. In the next hallway, head north and climb the staircase to find the red keycard. An alcove will open nearby which contains two demons on Hurt Me Plenty (HMP) skill level, or three on Ultra Violence (UV).
Return to the water pool you passed earlier and go west to an outdoor area. Head down the staircase and locate a door in the north-east corner of this area which is locked with the red key, and go through it - you will pass through a corridor to a large hall. Go south until you pass a stone staircase, then look north to see a switch which you need to press. As you approach the switch, two small rooms will open nearby releasing a number of demons.
Return to the hallway with the square water pool. East of where you found the red keycard you will see a ledge with three windows looking out at the large hall - run through the east window to land on the stone staircase you passed earlier, then follow the walkway south and west to collect the yellow keycard. Watch out for a monster trying to ambush you from your left as you take the key - a zombieman on I am a Wimp/Not Too Rough (IAAW/NTR), or an imp on HMP/UV.
Go back to where you found the red keycard. There is a door here locked with the yellow key which you can now pass through. Step through to a ledge overlooking the large outdoor area, then run north so you land on a walkway. Follow the walkway around the area until you reach the exit door, then head through it and press the switch to finish the level.
Other points of interest
- Upon stepping onto the sector where the yellow keycard sits, an alcove will open next to you containing a computer area map. (sector 130)
- After collecting the blue keycard (see above), walk back on to the stone walkway. The wall due south of the blue keycard's position is misaligned; go to this wall and open it to find a green stone room with a switch. (sector 80) Press it to trigger an elevator leading to a teleporter. Enter it to find a passageway (M) with a box of shells and a rocket, and follow this passage round to a soulsphere; the walls will lower to reveal a set of enemies on teleport pads, as well as two medikits, a box of ammo, a box of shells, and a weapon on the north-western teleport pad (a chaingun on IAAW/NTR, or a super shotgun on HMP/UV). There is a set of skull switches, four of which open teleporters allowing you to telefrag the hellspawn; the switch at the north end of the eastern wall opens a teleporter leading to the southwest pad; the switch at the center of the eastern wall opens a teleporter leading to the northeast pad; the switch on the east of the southern wall opens a teleporter leading to the southeast pad; and the switch at the west of the southern wall opens a teleporter taking you to the central pad. The switch at the south of the eastern wall lowers the pad with the weapon pickup; after the enemy steps off it you can grab the weapon, but you must do so before the pad rises again. You can make as many attempts as you want, however. On IAAW/NTR, the enemies are all shotgun guys (with one pad empty); on HMP, the pads are occupied by four imps and a baron of Hell; on UV, the pads hold two Hell knights and three barons.
- As you follow the walkway to the exit door, an alcove will open containing imps or Hell knights. This alcove also contains a switch; activate this, and backtrack to where you found the red keycard, opening the green stone closet in the north. Go inside it to find a teleporter that leads to the tower in the center of the outdoor area where you can obtain a soulsphere. (sector 40)
- The brown alcove near the exit can be jumped into. Once you do this, open the misaligned wall in the south to find either ten armor bonuses on IAAW/NTR, armor on HMP, or blue armor on UV. (sector 43) Alternatively, there is a hidden door next to the exit door indicated by a misaligned section of wall which can be used to get into the alcove.
Comparison of versions
- Unusually for PlayStation Doom, this level includes two different switch textures. Some switches use a skull switch on metal wall texture, while others use a skull switch on marble brick texture.
- Because it was impossible in PlayStation Doom to organize self-referencing sectors (such as deep water) due to the polygon-based rendering engine, locations that use this effect have been altered. The three windows from where the player has to jump on the large staircase in the north-eastern hall use a non-transparent metal instead of transparent lattice, and the water pool in the north-eastern hall is just shallow water.
- The slime pool in the first hallway is changed to a water pool, which does not hurt.
- The door concealing the teleporter to secret #3 uses a metal support texture, making it more obvious.
- The height of the north-eastern hall and its ledges has been reduced. A side-effect of this is that after collecting the blue keycard, you can step back on to the ledge south-east of where the keycard was located; this is not possible on PC as the ledge is too high.
- Bloody meat hook decorations are added to the room with five teleport pads (secret #2).
- The ceiling exit sign is moved closer to the exit door.
- A hidden door is added next to the exit door, providing another way for the player to access secret #4. This may have been added to make the secret easier to access using PlayStation controls.
- The cacodemons and pain elemental encountered in the north-eastern hall are removed without replacement.
- The revenant that guards the exit switch on UV is removed without replacement. A Hell knight takes its place on HMP.
- On UV, both Hell knights and barons of Hell can be found in secret #2. It is possible for these monsters to infight on PlayStation Doom.
Areas / screenshots
This level contains eight spawn points:
- facing north-east. (thing 30)
- facing east. (thing 31)
- facing west. (thing 32)
- facing east. (thing 33)
- facing west. (thing 34)
- facing west. (thing 35)
- facing west. (thing 36)
- facing east. (thing 37)